Skip to content

As what race you could never play in BG/RPGs

DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
For myself,I cannot play as dwarves or orc/half-orc...I just can not.But most of a times I play as a human character or elf character.What about you guys?

Comments

• recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Half-orc or any of the small folk. :P
    I know that's terribly prejudice. I would include them in IWD or the like; but not Baldur's Gate. Human, or sometimes Half-Elf or Elf. But never any of the shorter races, nor half-orc, as I like to import straight through from BG1 to ToB
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    edited July 2012
    I think there's a general problem with playing anything that deviates too far from human simply because the game doesn't cater to anything else very well. Civilized areas are mostly filled with humans with a few elves and half-elves thrown in the mix while the "little folk", halflings, dwarves etc. are few and far between, making you feel a tad isolated and alone when playing those races. Furthermore, the only romancable characters in the series are human, elf or half-elf.

Maybe if the little folk were better represented there would be a bigger draw to play them (for instance fleshing out Gullykin to have more options if the PC is halfling, making Mazzy in Bg2 a romance option, adding a real dwarven fortress as a visitable area etc. - Not that these suggestions would work for BG:EE, just saying). I think this is what Dragon Age 1 tried to do with the "origin stories", anchor the PC's race in something from the start. It's a good idea, but tough to truly follow through on for the rest of the game...

In BG1 it's fully possible to have a party-combo of only gnomes, dwarves or halfings tho:

PC
    +
    Alora (halfling, thief)
    Montaron (halfling, fighter/thief)
    Yeslick (dwarf, fighter/cleric)
    Kagain (dwarf, fighter)
    Quayle (gnome, illusionist/cleric)
    Tiax (gnome, thief/cleric)
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2012
    I like... weird or grotesque/dark races, like undead or half-undead and can barely settle for human or maaaybe aasimars or zenythri etc. Changelings or warforged are ok too.

This means i can't play as anything else, aka no elf, dwarf, half-orc, halflings and god no gnomes, can't stand them :P i would prefer to play a kobold than a gnome or a halfling >_>

I still remember Jan's speeches with terror -_-
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Only one. Xvarts.
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    I used not to play the small races, now I don't have a problem. I also look at the benefits each race gives so it greatly depends on that.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    RNC-Retarded Nomura Characters.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    edited July 2012
    I only play human male, ever. The one time I didnt, I was a human female so I could see the Anomen romance, so I went into shadowkeeper and changed my body type to human male fighter and changed my portrait to a male one. Used male soundset too. Beat the game dozen(s?) time. Only time I had non humans I made were the solo multiplayer games where I would try to not use the same race over. The Bhaalspawn was always human male though.

Okay I think I might have been a half orc once.Maybe. But I dont recall if I beat that game.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Winthal you're entirely right about BG1&2 not catering to races outside humans, half-elves & elves. Apart from Aerie, who will romance gnomes too, they're the only ones with romance options which is a pretty big draw for BG2. Dwarf & Gnome females have been given the shaft with animations too - the females have beards.

I'm strongly tempted by dwarves, half-orcs and gnomes from a powergaming perspective but haven't played them much because of the limiting factors above. It's a pity really, because stunty saves, cleric/illusionists and crazy STR/CON are appealing.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Gnome illusionist/thief rocks.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    edited July 2012
    @Corvino I hear ya... halfling thieves with 19 dex and the innate bonuses to thievery skills are also quite tempting :P I also kinda like halflings in general aside from the stats, they're cosy in that Hobbit way :)
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Barbarian. When I was younger I found the class silly,hehe. Now it is actually kind of cool imo
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Never liked to play as humans or half-elves. I honestly fail to see the appeal in them. The fact that they can be of any class makes them all the more boring in my eyes.

In (non-Tutu) Baldur's Gate, I prefered the dwarves. But my all-time favourites were (and still are) the half-orcs. Not to mention the fact that they are the least human looking race to chose from makes them an instant winner in my book.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    I could never play as a halfling nor could I play as a thief. I just have zero interest in either.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited July 2012
    As a gnome. They look silly with their big noses, ears and popeye forearms and not to forget that they stink horrible! And a halforc female of course... dont ya look at me DONT CHA look at Me
  • DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    To be honest,I am bit surprised,I thought I was one of few who got problem with playing as smaller folk
    Human can seem bit plain and boring,I can agree on that,because they are..well,humans,nothing really non ordinary about them,but still,I cannot play as more fantasy-like races,with elves as exception
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Personally i mostelly have a problem playing what i would call the uglies, orc half-orc every race i find revulsing to look at
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Half orc or halfling.
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    From a strictly role-playing point of view, I have a hard time playing anything other than a human, a half-elf or a half-orc. Bhaal was a human who, with Bane and Myrkul "stole" Jergal's divinity. I just couldn't rationalize how Bhaal would have a dwarven scion (though I guess a diety can do anything).
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315

From a strictly role-playing point of view, I have a hard time playing anything other than a human, a half-elf or a half-orc. Bhaal was a human who, with Bane and Myrkul "stole" Jergal's divinity. I just couldn't rationalize how Bhaal would have a dwarven scion (though I guess a diety can do anything).

He had a dragon son so...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I played as all, but as of late I really can't play as a male dwarf/gnome/halfling. Females are still ok with those races though.

Also Half-Orc is a very rare race for me. I once actually created a human main character with a half-orc side kick. It worked well altogether.
  • DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    In BG i like to play a character that can romance in SoA, and that limits my race/gender combos. Tweaks and mod NPCs can broaden my choices, but I don't like using either of those. So I never played dwarf in this game. But for my next playthrough I will probably install this mod and finally try a dwarf.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Pretty much exclusively play humans, elves or half-elves, based on immersion. When human I will often change the avatar to the elven one, as the human males look a bit too square and bulky for my taste.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I only play human and half-elf, rarely halfling or half-orc. Nothing else.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    Half-Orc is really the only one I won't play as. I'm starting to think I want to do a halfling thief (I've never played one). I'm also thinking about Gnomes. I'm not much for Dwarves, but will play them.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I've never played a dwarf yet i a D&D roleplaying game, all other BG1&2 races I have played one time or another. I did start a dwarf commoner in Dragon Age though, but haven't finished the origin story yet.

But when I will do a BG2 United Races party (all races covered, though in BG2 you'd have to miss out on 1 as there's 7, due to Haer'Dalis, even if you put half-elves, drow, elves and Avariel's in the same batch to pick 1 from, still with me in this long sentence?) I will pick a dwarven fighter-cleric as CHARNAME.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    I could never play as a strait forward elf, i always play as a half elf however. But full elves always seem a bit to up them self's for me. Or that's how they are portrayed not so much in bg/bg2 but more other fantasy books, games etc
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556

@Bobby_Singer All the spawn of Bhaal were purely their mother's race, in your bio if you play a half-elf it will say your mother was a half-elf.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    Gnomes...my nemesis.... Also half-elves. Just didn't have the same appeal to me as humans or dwarves.
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    I can only play as Human, Half-Elf, Elf, or Dwarf.

There's something about Gnomes and Halflings that I really dislike (not exclusive to BG). However, Mazzy and Tiax are exceptions to the rule - I love them. =D