Skip to content

The Baldur's Gate Quartet - do you recruit them?

The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. The Baldur's Gate Quartet - do you recruit them?136 votes
    1. Tiax
        6.62%
    2. Skie
        1.47%
    3. Quayle
        5.88%
    4. Alora
      10.29%
    5. I often use more than 1
        3.68%
    6. I rarely use any of them
      30.15%
    7. I never use any of them
      41.91%

Comments

• AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited April 2013
    By the time you reach BG, your other party members are already strong. Plus, these late characters quite suck.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    I wish someone would make a mod where you encounter these guys and gals sooner.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Quayle FTW
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    DAMIT I didn't see Alora on that list. I use Alora.... CRAP
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    There is a mod that relocates Quayle, Alora and Tiax, but not Skie.

Sometimes I recruit Alora or Skie, but it's rare. Alora if I run a 5 person party and feel like it, Skie since I discovered she's a pretty useful NPC, so I sometimes plan my party around the late recruitment.
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    I've had Alora in my party a couple of times, but I think I've used her more in BG2 (mod) than in BG1, and I've never taken the others.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I've cheated Alora in early with the console the last couple games. I love Alora! She's so cute and fun and happy! *squee~*
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited April 2013
    i take alora in the majority of my run throughs easily one of my favourate npcs in the series
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    edited April 2013
    Three of them are Thieves. Late game Thieves suck because their points are already distributed. Quayle is an Illusionist/Cleric, which is potentially a pretty good combination but with his abysmal WIS stat (give him all three WIS tomes and still not get any bonus spells! Hooray!) he's a bit less tempting.

So, no. Which is a shame, as Alora's great apart from crappy CON, and Skie's the best thief in the game after Imoen - both of them would be great picks if they were available earlier.

Whether Cleric/Thief is a good combination or not is a matter of debate, but I love a thief who can use Sanctuary. Plus DUHM makes for some pretty rad backstabs.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Aloras lucky Charm was buffed to hell, it gives a crapton of thieve stats and 2 AC and the luck spell all the time. Not to mention her race and Dex, makes her an extremely powerful thief.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Maybe if they weren't a thief I'd be tempted to take them along. But of course Imoen is the only thief for me. :)

Also Qualye insulted me the first time I talked to him so I had to kill him. I have to apologize to Aerie later.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited April 2013
    @typo_tilly If you recruit her ASAP, like use the console to spawn her after leaving Candlekeep, you can recruit her when she's level 4. Which gives you plenty of time to raise her Find Traps.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

Also Qualye insulted me the first time I talked to him so I had to kill him. I have to apologize to Aerie later.

Ah, well, he got better didn't he? ;)

/blockquote>

Yeah, but I think thats probably why he was so willing to allow me to take his adoptive daughter. It's best that little gnome knows his place.
    @typo_tilly That was why I did it. If I don't cheat and spawn them in, I'm unlikely to EVER use the late-appearing NPCs.
    That's a good point about the new NPCs' personal quests.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Never had a reason to, really - whether I'm playing Good or Evil, I always encounter superior NPCs much earlier in the game.

Viconia > Tiax (or Montaron > Tiax regarding thief abilities)
    Yeslick > Quayle
    Imoen > Alora and Skie
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I like Alora, Imoen gets dualled to mage around the time I meet her so shes a good replacement thief mid game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    depends on the party I have (composition, alignment, size (full 6 or just 4...?) ...mostly Alora. I've actually had Quayle few times too. But he can get annoying and thus killed off.

Tiax is an idiot and Skie annoying and usually redundant (as I play with thieves or semi-thieves a lot), so in case I want another thief I rather hop-skip to it. (See what I did there?)
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    edited April 2013
    it depends.... at the moment i play a thief only party.... every follower is thief class or multiclass thief....
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I don't regularly play Baldur's Gate. But when I do, all of the pieces are moving.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    God said:

I don't regularly play Baldur's Gate. But when I do, all of the pieces are moving.

Holy crap!
    Literally!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think I've used Quale once. And Tiax, thought briefly. But that's it.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Tiax is a boss, i will quite often use him.

I'm starting a new game and consoling them in at the start so i can have my whole party sorted out early on.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I use Skie occasionally.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I've tried them all by none of them were really worth the pain of waiting to pick them up. I'd rather get my companions before entering Baldur's Gate. The absolute latest companions I really ever get are in Cloakwood.
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    SCS relocates Eldoth, Tiax, and Quayle, so you can get them early. Tiax's ghast ability is quite useful early and he's hilarious. When you get him early, you can control his points and he makes a competent thief. I've done a playthrough with Quayle, and besides his poor constitution, he performed his cleric role ok (you don't really need a cleric anyway) and mixed with his mage spells was a good addition (except his annoying personality).

I haven't orchestrated a party with Alora yet, but I plan to at some point. I've never used Skie. Having to have Eldoth and then sacrifice for a late game thief is too much.