Skip to content

Checking In: An Open Discussion about Developer Transparency

13»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Alright, I've unstickied the thread; that doesn't mean the discussion can't or shouldn't continue, of course.

As I stated at the beginning of the discussion, I can't promise that anything will come of this, or that anyone's ideas will be implemented as-presented, but we think it's a good thing to talk about it. There are definitely some great ideas here, and everyone's suggestions have merit in some way or another.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited May 2013

PugPug said:

When it comes to releasing information in general: Maybe it's because I've never been in their position, but I do not understand the terror developers seem to feel about revealing too much information. Do we really cry bloody murder when plans change? Has it even been tried, or is this just folklore passed on and on as conventional wisdom? I think people are reasonable and will respond reasonably to well-reasoned reasons. And even if we do kick and scream... who the hell cares?

I dunno. I was on this forum when the game launched and it was... far from a pleasant experience, to put it mildly. It was really after that fiasco that the developers became less open about what they were doing, so the fanbase only really has itself to blame.
    I strongly disagree. In my mind, this is on par with DRM apologists saying that you can't blame publishers for using more and more invasive DRM, because they're only reacting to piracy. In the same way that DRM mostly hurts legitimate users (in that pirates are going to find a way regardless), witholding information primarily hurts BG:EE supporters, as they're the ones who are still on these forums (most of the people responsible for the unpleasentness at launch have long since left). In either case, you're taking actions that are ultimately to the detriment of those who have done nothing wrong, while having having little effect on the people that those actions were in response to.

There may be legitimate reasons for the devs to withold information, but the fact that their feelings were hurt by some asshats (i.e. the primary life form found on the internet) half a year ago isn't one of them.

Edit: OK, I may have been a little too dramatic with this post. I actually don't feel strongly either way about this issue.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    What kind of development cycle/methodology do you guys use?

That will go a long way to explaining why and when you can or can't explain things to us.

Your development responsibility for openness is to stakeholders. I would say that the fan community is not a stakeholder -- we want things and we're your customers, but we're not a stakeholder. I'd rather have the developers work without the added pressure of openness to fans.

That said, if you have a dev or dev-savvy media person who can summarize or post regularly on a blog about challenges overcome and lessons learned and bugs fixed, that will be a fascinating look into your development process.

That's my two cents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Sounds like the beginnings of an epic tale.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    People here have covered the subject i believe, i'm not gonna talk about bug fixing and the such, the only thing i want to say is the following.

Although you don't have to say "too much", since you might fail to deliver given the time available, you could at least give an impression of what is going to change for BG2:EE(this is the subject i'll touch).

A general idea, big things like :

1) Are we going to see the same UI for BG2:EE?

2) Are you considering "touching" the graphics in a way previously impossible because of low budget? (in case the sales were satisfying). Or if the mod team is on the job for it(like with 1pp).

And so on. What should we expect for BG2:EE.

I mean, at least when it's time to start the preorders, which i have no idea when will that be, i would like to know the stuff that wil be new in BG2:EE.

P.S. Maybe it's too soon, but i haven't seen anything in the forum about the upcoming bg2:ee, then again, i don't frequent the forum so much nowadays.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    I'd like some transparency on we'll hear back about the thread on transparency.