Skip to content

Protagonists for role playing.

Is Baldur's Gate based off a novel, and if so who was the main character?

For evil characters who are inclined to murder, assassin or a fighter/thief backstabber who considered Gorion an old fool.

For neutral, I'm thinking a restless bard, fighter, or a sorcerer who looked up to Gorion, but is reckless. A seeker of truth who is at odds with himself.

For good, a wizard or a priest.

Comments

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

There was a novel *based off* Baldur's Gate (rather than the other way round), the protagonist was a Fighter named Abdel Adrian, I believe he was True Neutral. We don't speak about that in these parts, however.

OH ok, i went ahead and researched him...7 foot tall eh?? Ridiculous.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    It's far easier to RP good in BG. I usually go Fighter/Mage or Thief/Mage of some kind (multi or dual), if I do. I enjoy RPing evil for the challenge, though, and all my favourite NPCs (except Mazzy, Keldorn and Haer'Dalis) are evil. I never get far with Neutral characters, for some reason, but I have plans for a Kensai/Druid character.
    I chose an elf multi-class f/t of evil alignment, and he is quite strong (18-92).

@Eudaemonium I disagree, I feel like it's far more comfortable to play evil. You never need an explanation for murdering Drizz't, or any other NPC. I still do the dialogues at times, but my charnam is always lurking in the shadows. I don't need to justify my intrusion into every citizens house. They saw me walk into town and murder an onslaught of Flaming Fist mercs in the streets, so they knew I would be collecting tribute. I like to double cross NPCs too, that's like my fav thing. "Sure Silke, we will work for 200gp."....BACKSTAB...mead...
    @Lateralus: I suppose from a powergaming perspective who wants all the XPs and all the loots, it is easier to justify your actions if you are evil (or chaotic neutral). I was thinking more in terms of the main plot and the way it basically shoehorns you into being a hero. You can be a villain with good PR to a degree (the degree being 18 rep unless you want your friends to leave), and I tend to play evil the vast majority of the time, but I feel it is easier to justify the main plot if one is good aligned.

I agree with you that random robbery and Drizzt murder is far easier to justify for an evil Charname, however.

@Lateralus: I suppose from a powergaming perspective who wants all the XPs and all the loots, it is easier to justify your actions if you are evil (or chaotic neutral). I was thinking more in terms of the main plot and the way it basically shoehorns you into being a hero. You can be a villain with good PR to a degree (the degree being 18 rep unless you want your friends to leave), and I tend to play evil the vast majority of the time, but I feel it is easier to justify the main plot if one is good aligned.

I agree with you that random robbery and Drizzt murder is far easier to justify for an evil Charname, however.

The main plot works well with an evil attitude, the only think that changes are the motives. The dream sequences orchestrate that very well. The way I see it, Sauron did him a favor, he set him free from that old dust bag that was holding him back. Watching like a prison guard while hiding his true heritage and feeding him lies (delusional and angry). I don't want revenge, I want the power. The more I discover my heritage, the more I want to stand out as the "favorite son". The true heir to the throne. A deadly murderer who decides who gets to live and die every step of the way. Making my rival brother look the fool while unraveling his pathetic plots and disrupting them before finally killing him and taking all that is his.

My early motivation is greed, but it becomes much darker....
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited May 2013
    I usually go with a paladin, but as many similar threads here have discussed, that one's a bit of a stretch to justify (you basically end up with a character who would have gotten all of his/her religious training from visiting priests, which isn't really an arrangement that lends itself to lifelong, zealous devotion).

As a compromise, I might be doing my next run as a vanilla fighter -- full plate and a quarterstaff, like the Watchers who would have trained him/her. I'll keep that class up to BG2, when an unknown period of time being tortured in Irenicus' dungeon leads to the PC turning to Ilmater, i.e. dual class to cleric... much like Dradeel in BG1's werewolf island turned to Selune during his long isolation.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I've already mentioned my take on the character several times, in similar topics, check them out if you're interested.

I've already mentioned my take on the character several times, in similar topics, check them out if you're interested.

You have hundreds of comments, I don't know where to begin to look! :)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2013
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/299288/#Comment_299288

Pretty much covers the basics.

14/17/15/16/13/12 for starting stats (roleplayed appropriately for their values).
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, Isn't that about the same as Sarevok? So one could argue it makes sense...

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Kaltzor said:

Well, Isn't that about the same as Sarevok? So one could argue it makes sense...

Agreed. The reasons to hate Abdel's guts are plentiful, but that isn't one of them. Hell, I use the fact that Sarevok and Imoen get ridiculously high stats to justify my re-rolling 'till I get 90+, so why not use other Bhaalspawn to justify other attributes, like height? Godchild=excuse to make a seriously overpowered character.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Malicron said:

Godchild=excuse to make a seriously overpowered character.

Kaltzor said:

I guess, but this begs the question: who are these woman that Bhaal is romancing? Hill giants? Ogres?

Not hating, just saying.
    Lateralus said:

I guess, but this begs the question: who are these woman that Bhaal is romancing? Hill giants? Ogres?

Not hating, just saying.

Well, Bhaal was not picky. I wonder if he could be considered the Zeus of the Forgotten Realms...
    @Kaltzor

Sorry, but I just can't see Bhaal appearing as a swan, saving his own life or no.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Malicron said:

@Kaltzor

Sorry, but I just can't see Bhaal appearing as a swan, saving his own life or no.

A Swanmay Bhaalspawn would be pretty cool. Or a nymph Bhaalspawn! Although once I claimed his Throne, I would inwardly punch myself for being related to somebody who hurt such wonderful creatures.
    Oh, man, what about a psionic nymph Bhaalspawn?! I think the only suitable response to such a creature would be to cry like an infant.

Err, in any case, I'm agreeing with the original poster, here. For evil, I might also say "any power-hungry character of any class who considered Gorion an old fool".
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    redline said:

I usually go with a paladin, but as many similar threads here have discussed, that one's a bit of a stretch to justify (you basically end up with a character who would have gotten all of his/her religious training from visiting priests, which isn't really an arrangement that lends itself to lifelong, zealous devotion).

As a compromise, I might be doing my next run as a vanilla fighter -- full plate and a quarterstaff, like the Watchers who would have trained him/her. I'll keep that class up to BG2, when an unknown period of time being tortured in Irenicus' dungeon leads to the PC turning to Ilmater, i.e. dual class to cleric... much like Dradeel in BG1's werewolf island turned to Selune during his long isolation.

I disagree. On both points you made:

paragraph 1: Being a Paladin is a calling, it isn't something you're taught.

Paragraph 2: the Watchers in Candlekeep are probably only using Staves because of the iron shortage. I doubt that is how they're usually outfitted.
    edited May 2013
    Klorox said:

Paragraph 2: the Watchers in Candlekeep are probably only using Staves because of the iron shortage. I doubt that is how they're usually outfitted.

Well, Candlekeep is a place for mages mostly... So who's to say they aren't Figther/Mages who can cheat cast spells in Plate... But in terms of gameplay don't. And they use steaves because of the mage part.
    Malicron said:

@Kaltzor

So Swans are out, but Chinchillas are A-OK?

Malicron said:

@Kaltzor

Of course. Have you seen the teeth on those things?
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Samus said:

In terms of roleplaying I almost always go with a good aligned vanilla mage.

*GASP* You don't play as NE drow Cleric???
    Can you people stop quoting the part mentioning me since it keeps notifying that I'm mentioned?
    Samus said:

Malicron said:

Chinchillas are great!
    One of my neighbours when I was growing up had a pet Chinchilla. I always thought it was amazingly adorable.

I still think the Chinchilla bhaalspawn would have made a better villain. It would have ended in a titanic struggle with Boo.