Skip to content

Doubts and problems - Archer

What proficiencies are beneficial to a arquiro?

- Reading the Gamefaqs, I found that it no longer receives obônus Handade the Two-Weapon (Two-Handed Weapon), so that the bow proficiencies receive bonuses?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    None of the weapon styles (Single Weapon Style, Two-handed Weapon Style, etc.) benefit ranged weapons (nor have they ever, as far as I know).

Longbows are a good choice to specialize in for BG1. It's probably good to put 1 point into a melee weapon of your choice (a blunt weapon may be a good idea, for creatures such as skeletons that are resistant to the piercing damage of your arrows). You could also put a point or 2 into Single Weapon Style, otherwise whenever you enter into melee you're going to be swapping out your bow and putting a shield or weapon in your offhand.

So maybe starting with something like:
    Longbows **
    Flail *
    Single Weapon Style *
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    There's also the Crossbow of Speed in BG1. Then you can graduate to the Firetooth Crossbow in BG2 which has infinite ammunition and does fire damage automatically.

Rangers also automatically start with ** in Two Weapon Style. Dual Wielding makes switching back and forth between ranged and melee weapons more of a pain, but as a dedicated archer you're not likely to want to switch all that often.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited May 2013
    I'd go with Long or Crossbow, as mentioned above, and because I'm far too annoyed by the switching to sword/shield or dual wielding, likely a two handed weapon. Quarterstaff, but halberd would be an option, too.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    go for the quarter staff 2handed weapon specialization for more crit
  • Nitram_Vi_HermanniaNitram_Vi_Hermannia Member Posts: 64
    Elf archer with longbows and long swords rules... Just do: 2 long bows 1 long sword 1 hammer

And then just add points to long bows and voilá! Easy....
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    For an archer, I'd take Bows or Crossbows and for melee - Swords/Maces and Single Weapon.

He's an archer. If someone comes too close, the extra AC will come in handy, but ultimately, he will want to keep distance and start firing again. So don't bother with dual wielding or powerful melee weapons. Smash the foe, run away and start PEW PEW again... (Thus the stun mace is a good option)
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    CaptRory said:

Rangers also automatically start with ** in Two Weapon Style. Dual Wielding makes switching back and forth between ranged and melee weapons more of a pain, but as a dedicated archer you're not likely to want to switch all that often.

Ahh...if only we got the IWD II weapon set switch feature, eh?
    But yes, there's a lot of sound advice in this thread. Maybe when BG II: EE comes out, we'll get to re-allocate things like in vanilla BG to BG II? Probably not, because that was more of an engine thing...

I'd go with as many pips as possible in your preferred, valid ranged weapon; then, probably something two-handed, like halberds or quarterstaves. If you don't mind swapping equipment out, then by all means, go with sword & shield style or two-weapon! When I dual wield, I like to have at least one weapon with a blunt component, because of skeletons. The Stupefier is Stupid-Powerful, so that's always an option.
    Pity there aren't two-handed hammers or maces... I would be all over those.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013

CaptRory said:

Pity there aren't two-handed hammers or maces... I would be all over those.

they are not so great because of dual wielding (at least for bg2)

I'd go with as many pips as possible in your preferred, valid ranged weapon [...]

This does seem the obvious way to go, but it may not actually be optimal. If you were to pump a single ranged proficiency, you'd max out at 4 stars by the xp cap. The thing is, going from 3 stars to 4 stars does very little (+1 to damage and speed factor), so you may be better off putting the last point somewhere else, like putting a second pip in single-weapon style if you think you're going to be engaging in melee with any consistency. This will of course depend on personal preference and play style.
  • ArcanjoArcanjo Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2013
    Forgot that Assassin also uses bow?

How to use the proficiencies him if he does not use bow?

Longbow, Shortbow, Crossbow, Dagger (Has a poison)?

Dart gets some bonus proficiency?
    Note: It is a hand, will be receiving?

has also Throwing Dagger.
    Wait, which kit are you talking about? In your first post you said Archer (a ranger kit), but now you say Assassin (a thief kit).
  • ArcanjoArcanjo Member Posts: 155
    Both can use bow, in which case the question is valid, because I believe in him and arc not know how far I can make that comparison.
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    Since you maynot switch from the archer kit to dual class you could potentially gm both long bow and cross now. I'd start with long bow. Try to have 18 str do composite bow extra dmg
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2013
    I'd recommend darts for an assassin. You're mainly going to be using them to spread poison to a group (they have the most attacks in BG1, and are still faster then tuigan in BG2, so still superior for poison spreading, especially with how easy the crimson dart (returns to thrower) can be acquired), when backstabbing isn't a wise course of action, or after a backstab to use the hit-reactions to out-run them (prior to boots of speed).

On the other hand....after the Underdark the Firetooth (throwing dagger) is probably the best overall choice...you'd have plenty of nice str belts by then, and Firetooth (throwing dagger) gains a str bonus, while bows and the crimson dart do not, not to mention a respectable 2 attacks and hitting like a bastard sword...that's on fire, very handy to have vs targets that can't be backstabbed.

The Firetooth (Heavy X-bow)...is a mixed bag....it's ammo hits as +2 fire bolts (that are considered +4, so they can hit anything), and it deals a TON of base damage...but only gets 1 attack (and if heavy crossbow attacks were properly implemented, would only have 1/2 attack, instead of 1), unless your character gets more base attacks, so it may or may not be worth it...nice for those rare +4 and above enemies, but...there's better options for less then that.
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    At level 6 I have on my elf archer (ranger) who uses a +1 composite Lon bow a Thaco of 3 an my DMG is something like 12 minimum 17 maximum. I rarely miss, and do about 80 percent o party kills. How that translates to bg2? I don't know yet, I may break out the old cd and looksie