Skip to content

8 hit points vs. a -1 to AC

I want to give Kagain the cursed claw that lowers constitution by 2 points, but gives a +1 to AC and more. His shorty saves would be unaffected by the drop, so the only downfall would be losing 1hp per level (max level 8) and his regeneration. I actually don't care about the regen because I usually have plenty of healing spells on hand, although I know that's a big deal to many of you. Looking past that, would you rather have the 8HP or an additional -1 to ac?

BTW I am using somebodies clever idea, and giving him 2 pips in bastard sword so he can be immune to poison and not have to worry about the death save penalty that much. While in the meantime enjoying a massive +3 bonus to his other saves on top of shorty bonues and the +2 necklace and +2 ring of protection!

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    8hp but doesn't really matter
    150 hp vs 50 hp makes difference
    8hp is nothing
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    1 AC, on the other hand, very much matters. It could be the difference between an enemy having a 5% chance to hit your tank and a 10% one. The importance of AC bonuses kind of grows exponentially the more you have of them.
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    I think you should go for the claw, you will barely notice those 8hp anyway.
    Personally I think the save bonus seals the deal a lot more than the -1 AC, since you'll be stacking those bonuses on a 18 con dwarf.
    And if you haven't used the constitution tome you can get the 8hp that way.

Overall it sounds like you've got a nice build planned!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    8 hp is equivelant of a one hit from an enemy. AC bonus can prevent MANY hits to come, and saving throw bonuses will HALVE the damage taken from spells, which is a greater bonus than 8 hit points. Losing regeneration is a bummer, since it is Kagain's schtick, but if you are okay with it, go for it!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @lunar Its sort of like trading Kagain's bonus HP (19+20) for AC. That puts him at max for humans which is "normal".
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I think the real issue with the claw is the -4 penalty to save vs. death. Save vs. death is a very commonly used save and many nasty effects are influenced by it (poison, paralysis/hold, disease, etc.). Whatever you do just don't wear that claw in Durlag's tower around those greater ghouls...
    You need a remove curse spell to get rid of the dang thing. So plan ahead.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Tresset said:

I think the real issue with the claw is the -4 penalty to save vs. death. Save vs. death is a very commonly used save and many nasty effects are influenced by it (poison, paralysis/hold, disease, etc.). Whatever you do just don't wear that claw in Durlag's tower around those greater ghouls...

I wouldn't melee a greater ghoul without free action or 0 or negative saving throws anyway. They are very fast and deadly. Even with a stellar save vs death of 3 or 4 it is too risky to melee them.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Diablo 2 taught me something: life, life, life. In your situation -1ac + immune to poison is better though.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Definitely survive longer, or maybe survive longer?
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Tresset said:

@lunar There are a couple of rings of freedom in the game, I would definitely swap out my +2 ring before facing those guys.

I already figured out poison, Kagain will take 2 ranks in bastard sword and wield Simmeon's blade. Total immunity to poison. The few magical bastard swords in the game are very useful. One of them is +3 vs. shape shifters and Baldur's sword is +4 vs. lycanthropes, so I plan on stealing that with my rogue before taking on a greater wolfwere.

I'll take my chances with disease.

Kagain with the Claw of Kazgoroth, the Ring of Protection +2, Helm of Balduran, Cloak of Balduran, and the Amulet of Spell Warding plus his shorty bonus and total immunity to poison.. Has the following saves at first level:

Death: 9
    wand:4
    polymorph:8
    breath weapon:10
    spell:3

Not bad, eventually his save vs spell will drop under 0, combined with 25% magic resistance, and there really isn't ever any need to buff him. With a +2 shield he will have a -11 AC. With the boots of a avoidance he gains a -15 total bonus to missile weapons from the claw, shield, and armor.

A tank that is 95% immune to missile fire, greatly resistant to magic, immune to poison, can put out some damage with the "cursed" belt equipped, with a -10 AC and 14hp level maximum...is a-okay with me. :)

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    One thing to consider is that the big "Thing" with Kagain is his 20 CON giving him regeneration. Wearing the claw removes that perk and effectively reduces him to just another fighter in the group. It would be like limiting Coran to an 18 DEX. Makes him less unique and special. Still, nothing wrong with doing it all. Just saying, consider that in your mix.
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    @the_spyder no other character in BG1 can combine the effects of using the claw and the save bonuses you get from having 18 con on a dwarf.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

One thing to consider is that the big "Thing" with Kagain is his 20 CON giving him regeneration. Wearing the claw removes that perk and effectively reduces him to just another fighter in the group. It would be like limiting Coran to an 18 DEX. Makes him less unique and special. Still, nothing wrong with doing it all. Just saying, consider that in your mix.

No, the point is that thanks to his 20 in CON he can overcome the Claw's penality. Also, he has far better saving-throws than any other fighter in the game.
    Regeneration while moving from map to map or sleeping? Bah.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Short answer - -1AC can save you much more than meager 8HP.
    Southpaw said:

Short answer - -1AC can save you much more often than meager 8HP.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    In bg1, I'd say that AC actually matters quite a lot. So I'd take the ring

No, the point is that thanks to his 20 in CON he can overcome the Claw's penality. Also, he has far better saving-throws than any other fighter in the game.
    In your opinion

In your opinion.

In mine, Kagain really isn't that impressive a NPC without the 20 CON. I'd personally much rather have Minsc or Shar-Teel or Dorn over Kagain if he doesn't have that feature.
    edited May 2013
    Minsc eh...

Shar-Teel can become the best fighter/thief, Dorn has 19 Str and cool Blackguard stuff.

Minsc has... Boo?

Give The Brawling Hands (aka Gauntlets of Dexterity) + Big-Fisted Belt to Kagain and you'll have a fighter with better damage, better saving-throws and higher hp than Minsc will ever have. And this a fact, not my opinion.
    If I was a total power gamer and not carring about anything else but power gaming and naked numbers (and assuming that I didn't have a better use for the items you list), then your 'Fact' would be a valid point. As it is, I consider the fun factor, utility and overall playability, plus general utility of the items in question. Under those conditions, Kagain is inferior unless he has his 20 CON. And others have expressed feeling the same. Without it, he is inferior to all of the fighters I listed.

At the end of the day, I am not saying anything other than "Consider that losing this element may have bearing on your decision."

In your opinion

In your opinion.

In mine, Kagain really isn't that impressive a NPC without the 20 CON. I'd personally much rather have Minsc or Shar-Teel or Dorn over Kagain if he doesn't have that feature.
    Well, the difference between 20 and 18 is 8 hit points and very slow regeneration. The 20 and the word regeneration looks good on paper, but it's pretty much absent in combat. While traveling, Kagain heals amazingly fast, and this is a perk at levels 3 and under. Healing spells aren't as abundant at low levels and Kagains AC doesn't start to plummet until he gets the Gloves of Brawling. I will be taking full advantage of his regeneration until around 4th or 5th level. Once his AC gets to -10 (with the help of the Claw) he wont need regeneration or healing outside of combat, because he wont be injured as often. Even powerful monsters have a hard time hitting a -10 or -11 AC. And all missile weapons need a nat20 to hit. With the right equipment, Kagain has a 19 str, 18 dex, and 18 con. Who else can boast that?
    It wouldn't change anything if Kagain had Minsc's CON.
    The point is that you can boost STR and DEX, so all is left is the class, CON score and the race.
    But if you were mainly referring to the fun factor, then I would pick Zoidberg! X)

The point is that you can boost STR and DEX, so all is left is the class, CON score and the race.
    But if you were mainly referring to the fun factor, then I would pick Zoidberg! X)

Wait. What?????

If Kagain (with a CON of 20 = +5 and REGEN) had the same CON as Minsc (15 = +1 Hp and no regen) it would be the same? Um????? In what alternate universe? +5 HP per level is in no way the same as +1 HP per level. And although you may not appreciate the regen, the fact remains that it is a benefit greater than zero. Also, CON impacts saving throws. in other words, not the same. not even close.

Then there is the fact that Minsc has his enormous strength pretty much from the get-go. The gauntlets that give Kagain approximate strength doesn't come till you reach the City. Not sure what the big fisted belt is you are refering too. Perhaps if you used it's proper name, I might know. But I don't 'Think' there are any girdles of giant strength. I could be wrong there. Certainly even if there are, they aren't early on in the game, so same problem as the Gauts listed above.

Then there is Minsc's Zerker ability which Kagain doesn't have. That accounts for something. All Kagain has is D10 hp (which might be variably more) and weapon grand mastery which again doesn't come into play until later on.

Utilitarian these characters are not the same. In short, the only reason I can think of utilitarian wise that tips the scale in kagain's favor is the CON of 20. Sans that, he is a fairly mediocre fighter. Even equipped as you indicate, those items can be used elsewhere and to significant effect. Not seeing any loss in doing so.

And then there is all of the Fun that is Minsc and Boo. And the fact that he won't leave you for having an increasingly higher rep which is the game bound and programing to give you. Seems all over Kagain to me. Except the fact that you don't have to spend hardly any healing on him over the life of the game, thus leaving that free for healing other members of the group.

Big Fisted Belt is a belt that sets STR to 19, but lowers INT to 6. You will find it when doing Rasaad's quest in BG (the city)

It is destined for Rasaad, but other fighters can use it. (I don't remember if there were any restrictions)
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607

Wait. What?????

If Kagain (with a CON of 20 = +5 and REGEN) had the same CON as Minsc (15 = +1 Hp and no regen) it would be the same? Um????? In what alternate universe? +5 HP per level is in no way the same as +1 HP per level. And although you may not appreciate the regen, the fact remains that it is a benefit greater than zero. Also, CON impacts saving throws. in other words, not the same. not even close.

Then there is the fact that Minsc has his enormous strength pretty much from the get-go. The gauntlets that give Kagain approximate strength doesn't come till you reach the City. Not sure what the big fisted belt is you are refering too. Perhaps if you used it's proper name, I might know. But I don't 'Think' there are any girdles of giant strength. I could be wrong there. Certainly even if there are, they aren't early on in the game, so same problem as the Gauts listed above.

Then there is Minsc's Zerker ability which Kagain doesn't have. That accounts for something. All Kagain has is D10 hp (which might be variably more) and weapon grand mastery which again doesn't come into play until later on.

Utilitarian these characters are not the same. In short, the only reason I can think of utilitarian wise that tips the scale in kagain's favor is the CON of 20. Sans that, he is a fairly mediocre fighter. Even equipped as you indicate, those items can be used elsewhere and to significant effect. Not seeing any loss in doing so.

And then there is all of the Fun that is Minsc and Boo. And the fact that he won't leave you for having an increasingly higher rep which is the game bound and programing to give you. Seems all over Kagain to me. Except the fact that you don't have to spend hardly any healing on him over the life of the game, thus leaving that free for healing other members of the group.

As was mentioned the Big Fisted Belt is a new "cursed" belt introduced in EE and yes that is the proper name.

While those items can be used elsewhere and to the same effect what makes Kagain such a great candidate for them is that no one else has a Con score equivalent to him. While anyone can have 19 or 18/00 Str and 18 Dex from items no one can have a Con score of 20. There simply aren't any items in the game to do that (besides the Charname being a half-orc or dwarf and using the Con Tome.)

With the Claw of Kazgaroth and Kagain he doesn't suddenly loose what makes him special, he still has a silly high Con score. In fact, Kagain is the only NPC to wear that item and still have a Constitution of 18 which, in my opinion, makes him pretty special.

Wait. What?????

TL;DR

"It wouldn't change anything if Kagain had Minsc's CON." = Kagain will still be superior to Minsc.

"It wouldn't change anything if Kagain had Minsc's CON." = Kagain will still be superior to Minsc.

Subjective and in my opinion, inaccurate. Also off topic.

20 CON being reduced to 18 making Kagain less viable is a factor to consider when using the claw.

Also, CON impacts saving throws. in other words, not the same. not even close.

But I don't 'Think' there are any girdles of giant strength. I could be wrong there. Certainly even if there are, they aren't early on in the game, so same problem as the Gauts listed above.

CON very much impacts the saving throws for the "shorty" races, but there is no difference in bonuses between 20 and 18. In fact there isn't any additional bonuses for having a 25 CON either.

I can get the Big Fisted Belt around level 4 or 5 with just Viconia and Kagain helping me out. I know how to quickly assassinate Mulahay and Davedorn, and you actually don't even need to kill anybody to progress the plot from the bandit camp.

If you're looking for a beserker I would not pick Kagain, and if you're looking for a tank I would not pick Minsc. They usually make minsc-meat out of him.

The scales are tipped heavily in Kagain's favor as a tank, very heavily. Shorty saves, shield use, and and 18 con (still a huge step up from Minsc) plus the benefits of the Claw.

Has anybody ever said to themselves, "Wow, Kagain's regeneration really saved his butt during that fight!" Of course not, because he will only regen one or two HP during a fight. Also, if you're not using most of your healing spells on your tank anyways, then you are doing it wrong.
    Kagain's freakishly high Con is a resource like any other. There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of his regeneration. And there's nothing wrong with SPENDING his Con to equip the ring either. You spend 2 Con for the benefits of the ring, and trade 8hp and regen for it.

Its up to you which is more valuable. If you use him with the vampire sword to heal the party, its obviously not worth it.
    @the_spyder
    With the right equip, Kagain becomes the best melee char in the game. Both on damage dealing and tank side. Like it or not.
    And yes, that's because of his CON, class and race are complementary with the items you find.