Skip to content

Purifier +5 or Carsomyr +6?

I am currently playing a cavalier dual wielding bastard swords in BGEE I plan on taking Keldorn in BG2EE, so I will have someone to weild both holy swords. Is it better to use the Eye of Tyr on Carsomyr and give it to Keldorn, on the Purifier and give it to my PC? Also, is Foebane +5 better then Purifier +5? If it is I think that I will just give the Eye of Tyr to keldorn and chunk mobs with foebane (but I do feel bad using a weapon casting larloch minor drain on cast with a pally)

Comments

• WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    and the upgrade on carsomyr only gives +1 enchantement bonus vs +1 enchantement, +10% MR + dispel magic 2/day + mass cure 1/day
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    In general, it's easier to find good 1h weapons than it is to find good 2h ones. Carsomyr is one of the few 2h swords worth using, and is a very good weapon altogether.

I suppose that from a pure number comparison, you do gain more by using Eye of Tyr on Purifier... but that's pretty much for the special abilities only. In terms of raw damage, Foebane will come out ahead. So if you want to use the Dispel/Cure/MR on Purifier, upgrade it; if you just want damage, use Eye of Tyr on Carsomyr and use Foebane instead.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    With the bastard sword you can have a good shield and get an extra +6 in armor.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Does AC help that much when you get up into ToB? I was under the impression everyone had such good THAC0 that armor class didn't help much.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    It only works when your ac is below -20. Try the metal suit and 2 potions of mind focusing and you'll get AC -26. Monsters can sometimes hit you though since they have 3+ attacks per round.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited May 2013
    I'd definitely go for Carsomyr +6 for my cavalier. Every fighter/mage or kensai/mage I make is dual-wielding. It would be one-sided to dual-wield with each character I make, so for cavalier I'd choose upgraded Carsomyr over upgraded Purifier. And yes, in ToB everything will hit you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks a lot, but do you know if fighters can use purifier? I don't remember it being exclusive to paladins
    Purifier is indeed exclusive to Paladins, and characters with Use Any Item.

, and characters with Use Any Item.

so is everything :P
    There's actually several items you can't use even with UAI, unless other specific conditions are met; namely character-specific equipment that is tied to a certain combination of stats (like Valygar's armor).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Wolk said:

and the upgrade on carsomyr only gives +1 enchantement bonus vs +1 enchantement, +10% MR + dispel magic 2/day + mass cure 1/day

Carsomyr starts with more MR and uses of dispel than purifier ever gets. The only real thing unique to the purifier is the mass cure which isn't all that special really.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2013
    Carsomyr's stats are also wrong. The on-hit dispel and magic resistance are supposed to be innate to all holy swords wielded by a paladin, meaning the purifier is supposed to have those too.

If they do any major change, they need to steal however RRB did their short-sword of backstabbing and apply it to both holy swords.

(Holy Sword property doesn't apply to Blackguards or Fallen Paladins) (Mention holy sword as a class feature on paladin, undead-slayer, inquisitor, and cavalier advantages list. Holy Sword: Can activate the full powers of holy swords).

Carsomyr+5

Holy Sword: Hits and damages as +5, Dispel on hit, sets magic resistance to 50%, +5 extra damage vs chaotic evil.

1d12+2

Usable by anyone that can use 2 hded swords. (but even UAI doesn't allow using the paladin property)

Carsomyr +6 (the same as above, but hits/damages as +6 and deals +10 damage to chaotic evil)

1d12+2 (yes, the damage stays the same, because holy swords are ALWAYS +2 when wielded by non-paladin)

Purifier +3

Holy Sword: Hits as +5, damages as +3, dispel on hit, sets magic resistance to 50%, +5 extra damage vs Undead. Raises effective turning level by 2.

2d4+2

Usable by anyone able to use a bastard sword.

Purifier +4 (same except damages as +4, and deals 10 extra damage to undead)

2d4+2

Antipaladin Greatsword

Blackguard: Deals double damage vs good, drain 1d4 health per hit, 5% chance of instant death no save.

Deals 3d6 non-typed damage per round to user, when wielded by non-blackguard/antipaladins.

1d10+5

Usable: same as 2-handed sword