Skip to content

KOTOR on iPad

nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
I just saw that Knights of the Old Republic was release on iPad:
http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/30/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-hits-the-app-store/

Has anyone tried it? How do the touch controls compare with BGEE? It's been a while since I played the desktop version of KOTOR, but if I remember correctly it was based on the same engine as NWN. If that engine has been ported to the iPad, I wonder if that means it's likely for NWN to also be eventually ported.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    This reminds me of the old mac joke.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    So, how does it work, you tilt your iPad to move your character and punch it to attack?
    It's bloody awesome. The controls aren't perfect, you have to swipe up or down to move foraward/backward, and left right to turn. BUt you get used to it after some time and don't get bothered really.

Aspyr is the company that brought NWN2 to the Mac, so I believe they might have something up their sleeve :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Threads merged.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Just got it last night. Like iKrevetko says, the movement controls take a little getting used to, but it seems liqke everything works well. The cut scene graphics are a little pixelated, but i'm playong on ipad2, so maybe newer ipads handle that better. At least now I have something to keep me busy until the next BGEE patch hits...
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Also, this is my first time playing it, and it is really great. Haven't been able to put it down for about 3 hours and counting...
  • VilanceVilance Member Posts: 11
    I am halfway through the game, it is a really nice port. I was even able to beat the racing games on all three planets! Hint: use default sensitivity!

Also version does include Yavin station.

Only downside is that it does also have the famous bugs from the XBOX and PC versions as well. (Missions brother not appearing).

Also, much like BGEE, plays really well with a stylus too.
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    One interesting thing I noticed is that they take a different approach with the dialog options (when compared to BGEE on the iPad) . While the dialog shows the numbered options at the bottom of the screen with the text, there is also a set of larger buttons you're supposed to press to choose the option. I find it a little distracting since it's far from the text it refers to, but it is easier to press the right number than BGEE's interface.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Turn to the dark side. It is your destiny >:)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Back in the days, my computer could hardly handle the game. And now, it works on something like iPad. 4 words: Baldur's Gate! KotOR! Technology! Awesome!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Illustair said:

Back in the days, my computer could hardly handle the game. And now, it works on something like iPad. 4 words: Baldur's Gate! KotOR! Technology! Awesome!

Even if you consider KOTOR to be its own word, and not an acronym, Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Technology, Awesome would be 5 words :)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Haha oh you got me there. I stand corrected. 4 words: BG, KotOR, Technology, Awesome.:D
    The most annoying part is that you always have to choose the attacking action from the list if you aren't using the class default. That's bloody ridiculous. Why would I need basic critical strike when I have master flurry?:|