Skip to content

BG2:EE request - Keep your hard-earned BG1 items when importing characters into BG2

I would imagine the number of players that take advantage of the keep-all-your-items trick when importing their BG1 character into BG2 is fairly large. But this seems like the type of exploit the EE team 'fixes'.

I would like to continue to be able to retain my BG1 items when importing (more than just the 1 item you get back in the 1st dungeon). It seems to make RP sense that a person would retain items found/bought through years of adventuring.

If there is violent opposition to this, perhaps a compromise could be keeping only those items that are on the characters body and not in the 'personal slots'?

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    To me it makes no sense that Irenicus would let you keep your equipment after he imprisons you. I think it should be kept as it is.
  • WinedoggerWinedogger Member Posts: 17
    I actually agree about being in the cell, but I would think at least most of your stuff should be accessible after you break out. You do kill everything in the dungeon and search every container.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    Well, I guess some equipment could be found somewhere else and not all of it. It's something like, "Hey! Here are Drizzt's swords again! What are they doing here? I thought I would never see them again!"
  • CorpusDelictiCorpusDelicti Member Posts: 45
    Actually, there is a way to keep your BG items.

When BG2 first starts in Irenicus' dungeon and the screen is black, hit the space bar to pause the game. Then pull up your inventory screen, drop all your stuff to the ground, then let the game resume. All your stuff will be at your feet.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    IMO it should be kept as is. Perhaps just leave the exploit there for those people who really want to use it.

@CorpusDelicti I recommend you read the original post in the beginning of thread before replying. At least the very first sentence if nothing else.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    edited June 2013

Actually, there is a way to keep your BG items.

When BG2 first starts in Irenicus' dungeon and the screen is black, hit the space bar to pause the game. Then pull up your inventory screen, drop all your stuff to the ground, then let the game resume. All your stuff will be at your feet.
    O:! Is that true? I've never done it!

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Actually, you do get a few of your items back from BG1 that are based on your PC's inventory in the character file you imported from BG1. Two of them are in Irenicus' bedroom (Amulet of Metaspell Influence and a miscellaneous item), which he decided to keep for himself. The other is a set of your armor, which he gave to his Duergar crony, Illyich. And let's not forget the Golden Pantaloons! I'm sure Irenicus was quite fond of them, which would explain their hidden and trapped location. He probably wore them while strutting about, performing his "experiments."

I agree with what others have said: why would an evil arch-sorcerer with a genius-level intellect imprison you in a cage with all of your equipment and magic items? It doesn't make much sense story-wise.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    You can gain most of the items back. Except one - Cloak of Balduran. I always mod it in, there's no way I'm letting it go. That item rocks.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Pecca. I remember there was a mod long ago that allowed you to get the Cloak from the genie if you played your cards right. It would be nice if you got something class-specific from him in BG2EE instead of the Sword of Chaos (for those of us who dump Minsc).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Mortianna
    I always wished there was something for mages, myself. A two-handed sword is nice, but not strictly useful for anyone but a fighter--and it's not obvious whose sword it was until you read the item's description, which also seems somewhat suspect.

Maybe it would carry more weight if you could be exposed to the sword's history sooner.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I have balance concerns with letting people keep their items. I like the current setup just fine. You'll get better stuff anyway before too long (except maybe for the cloak slot, but if I'm Irenicus I'm keeping the Cloak of Balduran for myself).
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

It seems to make RP sense that a person would retain items found/bought through years of adventuring.

It does, right up to the point where you get captured and thrown into a cage.
    Dee said:

@Mortianna
    I always wished there was something for mages, myself. A two-handed sword is nice, but not strictly useful for anyone but a fighter--and it's not obvious whose sword it was until you read the item's description, which also seems somewhat suspect.

Malaaq was originally designed to have a third item imported from BG, but this decision was changed sometime during BG2's development. Most of the items on the list (import02.2da, which includes a couple of mage weapons) got scattered through the game and Malaaq was changed to just have a static item.

@Pecca One reason why the cloak of balduran was dropped might have been the 25% magic resistance it gives. Makes it too easy to reach 100% which turns large portion of the encounters into cakewalk.

@Dee I think you should find BG1 Ring of Wizardry (double level one spells) somewhere or be able to keep it instead of the other items you can choose to keep. Not too overpowered and still really nice, especially for beginning. Its missing from BG2 entirely which makes me sad.

@CamDawg And now is a perfect chance to correct that bad, awful decision! Long live mages!
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I'd be in favor of keeping *some* items, like the Cloak of Balduran, Varscona the longsword, Tamoko's Platemail or the Robe of the Good/Neutral/Evil/Morally Ambiguous Archmage.

The items can be regained later in the game, usually (like the Shadow Armour off Maevar) but I'd still appreciate it if a little more got left behind than just the 1-2 items it is now.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    Needs to strip all gear immediately on import (like it does for Bags of Holding), if you ask me. Just adding a flag to the PC's states for which items should appear in the dungeon or result in minor changes (such as Drizzt being pissed at you) (normally done at the moment your gear is taken currently). That would fix things right out of hand.

The cloak of Balduran was removed cause it allows people to hit 100+% magic resistance, EASILY....switch it to set MR (and updates once per round to prevent stacking, a fix needed for all equipment that sets) instead of +, and it might be acceptable to find later.

Varsona and Ashideena are actually supposed to be found in Irenicus's dungeon if you imported with them (you get 1 or the other, instead of the sword of chaos from the Genie). Though I think they removed that in a patch...I remember they used to (Tamoko's platemail was one of the possible choices for the armor Illyich is carrying).

• MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    I like it as it is. It works very well from a roleplaying point of view. Besides, having all those scrolls and wands would make the early stages of the game too easy. And crowd the inventory.
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    I'm more concern about unique items that you can't replace. Like that ring that gives you permanent blur. But there's still a handful of items that I think even Irenicus would have kept.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Draith012 said:

I'm more concern about unique items that you can't replace. Like that ring that gives you permanent blur.

Which ring is that?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I've always assumed that Irenicus only keeps a few of your more powerful items out of curiousity. The rest he either sells or are sold by the people who capture you I guess.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    TJ_Hooker said:

Draith012 said:

I'm more concern about unique items that you can't replace. Like that ring that gives you permanent blur.

Which ring is that?
    I can't recall it myself. Since it obviously isn't the claw of kazgaroth being discussed here.
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    don't know, what item slot does it use?
    The only other item that gives blurry effect when worn is Cloak of Displacement (AFAIK), which you can get in Trademeet in BG2.
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    I'm fine with him stealing my stuff except for one thing: The Butter Knife of Balduran. For some acts there can be no forgiveness...