Skip to content

4th Edition Screws Over the Throne of Bhaal Endings

(I posted a shorter version of this as a reply earlier this week, but I felt it deserved to be a topic.)

I was on the Forgotten Realms Wiki the other day and realized something rather depressing, namely that the Spellplague, the massive cataclysm WotC used to justify the change from 3.5 to 4e in-universe, hit only 26 years after the events of Throne of Bhaal. Now, on the face of it, this seems to be nothing but a bit of trivia, until you think about the consequences. Any and all of the happy endings, or the less-than-totally-depressing endings at the end of Throne of Bhaal are null and void. The Spellplague caused a "ripple" in the Weave that is known to have either killed or driven irreparably mad most of the spell casters in the realms. Further, the very face of the planet was changed, with parts of the overworld collapsing into the Underdark, and various areas actually teleporting to different spots on the globe, not to mention terrible storms and earthquakes.

Now consider the fact that even Human NPCs would likely still be alive after 26 years (CHARNAME and Imoen would be 47 or 48, for example) to say nothing of the elves and dwarves. That means that they would have to go through the Spellplague. As a result, we can assume that all of the spell casters (Imoen, Aerie, Jan, etc.) would have either been killed outright or driven stark raving mad. Even if they weren't, they'd be left powerless and vulnerable in a VERY hostile world. Any heroic NPCs that survived that and the various other cataclysms would presumably end their days trying to help people through more than 100 years of chaos, likely never seeing the end of it themselves. Meanwhile, even our beloved Evil NPCs would still find themselves in a new, highly hostile world, again assuming they didn't have a mountain or something warp in on their heads.

Hell, the only endings that was not rewritten by 4e were Cernd's and Keldorn's, and that's only because they had the good sense to die before the Spellplague hit. So, no happy ending for CHARNAME and company, just more death, madness, and pain.

TL;DR @#$% you Wizards of the Coast, @#$% you.

Comments

• WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    This. This so much.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    Meh... nobody has happy endings nowadays (Red Wedding), I for one like the new Faerun. I play Neverwinter Online and I think it's very interesting how they shook up the Forgotten Realms setting. It seemed like it was getting dry and nothing was really happening, they needed a turmoil to dice things up.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited June 2013
    When you think about it, every character that could cast spells (so Minsc, Garrick, Haer'Dalis, Tiax etc.) are all drawing upon the weave for their magic so they all most likely died aswell. Truth be told most of the characters in the realms should have died (barring commoners and what not) since most classes have some form of spell casting.

But 4e was a travesty all in all. It's better not to think too much about it. They had Hannali Celanil reveal that she was actually Sune all along (funny how the greater deity Corellan Larethian and father of the Elves couldn't see past this allowing her to be part of the Seldarine) or that the god of Justice murders his ally Helm over a lovers quarrel. Cyric also killed Mystra (thus bringing around the spellplague) by hitting her in the head with a stick... not joking. 4e was the result of sloppy developers... they saw the grand history of the setting and decided it was easier to scrap it all than try and familiarize themselves with it. Also, since it was the most popular DnD setting they needed an excuse to add in all the new races, classes, and features of 4e so turned it into a melting pot world by having Abeir and Toril collide. If the most popular setting has EVERYTHING that they make then more people will buy all of the books! Totally worth it so we could play as Dragonborn. Screw 30 years of adored lore, I want to be a DRAGON MAN! EFF YEAH!
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2013
    The game isn't canon anyway, only the books are canon in the forgotten realm history. Yeah, sucks that they even made those novels in the first place. :(
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @GoodSteve

Actually, divine casters were not affected by the Spellplague, so the clerics, rangers, and paladins only have to worry about the hellish post-apocalyptic landscape they now call home. Lucky them.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    That doesn't mean anything to me since I don't recognize that abomination known as 4th Ed.

What they did to the Forgotten Realms and their stupid Spellplague and the culling of gods is unforgivable. To show my displeasure I hit them where it hurts, the refusal to buy any more of their products. The only thing I will buy is 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition rule books and novels at a used bookstore. They won't get any of my money.
  • TazokTazok Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    Malicron said:

So, no happy ending for CHARNAME and company, just more death, madness, and pain.

I don't mind that for these games. The realms don't seem like a place you live happily ever after in, this isn't Disney. Plus in the minds of these heroes/villains, it would have been another purpose. It would take something as insane as the spellplague to challenge them to their end. We all knew this was going to be what we were in for in the long haul. God of Murder, not love or happiness.
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2013
    OP, play as a fighter class - problem solved. And besides, not all spellcasters died or were driven mad by the Spellplague, roughly about 2/3. Sure, some casters, like Elminster, have lost most of their power, some, like Simbul, have gone mad, Catti-brie even died, and some of them changed the staff for a sword. But this doesn't necessarily mean that you or your companions are dead. Imoen can still be a master of her thieves guild, Aerie can still be a cleric, protagonist can still be the other part of dual- multi- class, etc. And with time, those more of the long living characters can learn new magic anew. And surprisingly, the Sword Coast was one of the least damaged areas afer the catastrophe. And Baldur's Gate became such a thriving city that it now rivals Waterdeep.
    I wasn't very pleased with this whole Spellplague thing, but it wasn't the first time that Mystra kicked the bucket, and there are always a way to headcanon a good outcome for your beloved characters. And if you can't, you can just pretend that 4th edition does not exist, being bad as it is.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    Actually Divine magic IS part of the weave, instead of using constructed spells as a filter like arcane casters's do (channeling the weave raw would burn most mortals out of existence, unless they had a massive series of internal buffers like Sorcerers and warlocks do, but also hinder their versatility) the cleric's deity filters the magic for them, proven during the time of troubles as without Mystra to over see it, even the F'ing gods themselves couldn't get their own magic to work more then about 40% of the time and were incapable of granting spells...and mortal spellcasters had wild surges closer to 70 or 80% of the time, unless there was a deity nearby, who slightly stabilized the weave, a little due to retaining a small amount of their passive reality warping powers.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I don't know much about this Spellplague but CHARNAME is a God so I presume he/she will remain unaffected?
    Canonically, he turns it down and has all of Bhaal's essence drained out of him and all other bhaalspawn, so he's mortal when the spell-plague hits.
  • ValchistValchist Member Posts: 44
    i don't know much about the spellplague but it sounds like a awesome setting for bg3
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    At least it makes me feel comfortable and fuzzy knowing that if Irenicus succeeded in his plan, he would have died a couple of decades later anyway :)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

At least it makes me feel comfortable and fuzzy knowing that if Irenicus succeeded in his plan, he would have died a couple of decades later anyway :)

I think his plan was to become a god, so he would've been safe from the effects.
    Possibly even used the Spellplague to take his revenge on the other gods as well.

It's a good thing he was stopped.

IRT Topic
    What I heard about 5th Edition is that they will be implementing a modular system, supporting all timelines equally. So if you want to play pre-spellplague, there'll be book for it. If you want to play in Netheril's time, there'll be books for it. And if you liked the spellplague, there'll be books for it.
    It's a win-win really, they get to sell more books, gamers get to cherry-pick their favorite time period and play in that time.

I've never played 4th Edition, but I did agree with my group that if we ever were to switch, we'd stay in the current time or make up our own setting. What they did to the FR for no reason at all was just ridiculous.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    What @BobC said - the games aren't canon, so basically they don't exist at all in conjunction with the rest of the Forgotten Realms.

Now THAT is depressing. Its only advantage is that Minsc didn't die from the Spellplague (because he never existed in the first place).
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    He did! try to read the novels :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited June 2013
    Wild mages are probably OK after the spellplague as well as their entire school of magic involved direct access to magic without using the weave. Of course official material has not talked about wild mages since 2nd edition, AFAIK, so they probably don't exist anymore...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Not only wild magic, but Shar's Shadow Weave as well would theoretically have been unaffected by the Spellplague. But guess what? WotC anhilated it just like Weave for no particular or logical reason at all. *shakes head*

Maztica, too, possessed other sources of magic unrelated to Mystra. Which makes it even more unbelieveable that WotC went nuts (again), whiped the whole True World continent off the map, and replaced it with some cheesy "Returned Abeir". Makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Who even gives a mispronounced sheet about WotC and whatever mispronounced sheet they come up with?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Maciak87 said:

Actually, due to the advent of the 4th Edition it seems extremely odd to me that WoTC did not allow any deeper changes to be made in the Baldur's Gate series. After all, almost the entirety of the plot AND the universe have been made null and void, essentially becoming a "pocket universe", so why put up such limitations?
    I would REALLY like an explanation from the developers of the Enhanced Edition on that one.

I'm not a developer, but I think the reason is obviously control. Baldur's Gate has a good reputation, one of the best RPGs of all time. WoTC would allow only minor changes to this great game. It's the same type deal with the Star Wars extended universe, all changes had to go through Lucas back in the day as a form of quality control. After the 500th novel, he probably stopped giving as much of a hoot about content than on the 1st novel. BGEE is the first new product and the suits at Atari/WOTC don't want to allow free reign and anarchy with their product as a form of control.

If you owned something respected/unique like say the wreck of the titanic or something would you allow just anybody to do whatever they wanted with it? You'd probably lay some ground rules. Even if they are probably over protective. It's easier to give more control than to take back control after you've already given it away as well.

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited June 2013
    Malicron said:

It also just occurred to me, it's a pity Samus was banned; if ever there was a time for "To end... LIKE THIS?!" it would be now.

I hope this helps a little... This is the future the 4th edition deserves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gkqQr8QdnM

Post edited by franco on
    Maciak87 said:

Actually, due to the advent of the 4th Edition it seems extremely odd to me that WoTC did not allow any deeper changes to be made in the Baldur's Gate series. After all, almost the entirety of the plot AND the universe have been made null and void, essentially becoming a "pocket universe", so why put up such limitations?
    I would REALLY like an explanation from the developers of the Enhanced Edition on that one.

I believe the only people who can answer that question for sure is Hasbro themselves as the developers are under NDA as is quite well known in the forum. If I had to bet in an explanation though, @smeagolheart's one would be my bet.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Maciak87 said:

One more question: are they limited in exactly the same way in regard to Baldur's Gate II + ToB?

I believe that they have stated that they are.

Trent has repeatedly stuck to the story that they can't change the plot. They can add around it but not modify existing stuff. I have not seen any exceptions ever explained or mentioned. On the other hand there has been some "maybe" type answers as to whether ascension will be integrated.

@smeagolheart The old bugs that prevented Imoen and Sarevok from triggering some of their dialogs are all fixed in ToB now.

And now I'll ask people to go back to this thread's topic. If anyone is interested just open a thread about the merits of EE. Let's not derail this thread.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    And let's not talk about the novels anymore, please?
    Talk about what now?
This discussion has been closed.