Skip to content

Enabling the Console

PLayed Baldur's Gate on PC. Now I'm using a Mac. I go into the ini file and put in the 'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',.
But then I go into the game and press space and control and nothing. Just pauses the game... When I exit out and check the .ini file it has reverted back to its original state.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Wildcat24 Make sure you're not adding extra spaces when adding the line. If you do, the game will just remove the preference.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Also, you cannot change the setting while the game is running - it only loads the settings on start up, and re-writes them when you quit.
  • RoananRoanan Member Posts: 18
    This still hasn't fixed the problem for me. I remember working the console like a boss on my PC back in '02 and thought it wouldn't be so frustrating this time around...... yeah, the EE seems to be a whole new animal. :-P

In my .ini file, it looks like this:

'Program Options', 'Volume Voices', '100',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Ambients', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume SFX', '80',
    'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
    'MOVIES', 'DEATHAND', '1',
    'MOVIES', 'FRARMINN', '1',

I used the tab key to move the Debug Mode option over from the far edge, where the line started when I hit enter to make a new line. When this didn't work, I backspaced it back to the edge, but this didn't change anything. Whatever combinations of control / option / space / m / tab etc I press, the console won't pop up.

I respectfully ask that you do not send me a link to any discussions of the topic here on this site, because I've read through them all, and none of them are fixing the issue. Thanks!
  • RynnRynn Member Posts: 1
    You have to use an editor that actually reads and writes the EOL characters properly in the INI. Notepad won't work.
    Try notepad++. I followed the instructions in this exact forum post, using notepad++, started my game, hit space+ctrl and the console works just fine.
  • wampawampa Member Posts: 68
    TextEdit comes with Macs and worked for me - just need to Tab it to make sure it lines up with everything else.
  • ClarenceClarence Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I'm stucked in the same situation..

I'm just arrived in the underdark and i'm trying to fix the loop chat bug.
    so i need to activate the console to do this.

I found the baldur.ini file
    (made a backup copy in an other folder)
    I edit the genuine one as Roanan did using TextEdit that open it with that kind of tab.
    save the file.

..and nothing happens.
    every time I open BG2 EE it rewrites the baldur.ini file.

osx 10.9
    game purchased on the appstore.

i also tried to edit the baldur.ini file on a pc with notepad and put it back on my iMac, no way
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I did it on mine with the default editor, just copy & paste from the faq here.
  • PharrpPharrp Member Posts: 3
    I am having frustration after frustration in getting the console to open. Edited the .ini as above, no extra spaces, tab, etc. but no response at all. Also - anyone know where Mac sticks the dialog.tlk file? Search cant find it and nor can I .....

MacBook Pro, BG2EE from App store.
  • tommo154tommo154 Member Posts: 1
    I am also unable to get the console to open and have an extra problem.

I have added the "debug mode" text to the baldur.ini file using Textedit on MAC. I clicked save and went back into BG2EE. I couldnt get the console to appear so i quit the game to check I had entered the "debug mode" correctly but no I cannot open the .ini file. I get the following error:

" The document “Baldur.ini” could not be opened. Text encoding Unicode (UTF-8) isn’t applicable. "

Anyone help?
  • PatchesPatches Member Posts: 2
    I'm having a problem finding the .ini file for baldurs gate 2. I successfully edited the BGEE file, and can open the console in my documents folder (MacOSX). But I cannot find the BGEE2 .ini file ANYWHERE. It is driving me crazy. Please help if you can.
  • PatchesPatches Member Posts: 2
    nevermind I figured it out. Thanks!