Skip to content

Why roll a stalker?

2»

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Stalker is quite fine. Think a F/T, without most of the thieving abilities (locks, traps), but with the fighting power of a fighter, minor casting and better level progression.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Dunno, maybe they've fixed it since then....didn't used to be that way (they still haven't fixed R/C exploits yet though, so I doubt they'd bother nerfing it). I do recall the new Animate Dead being F'd up due to mages getting it at lvl 9 and it was giving the first version (lvl 5) of the skeleton, instead of the 2nd version (lvl 8), until they leveled up again, requiring you to use Blackpits or mod the xp-cap to get the right level of skeleton for your caster level.
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    Have been playing as a Stalker now for a few days and they are really great. Super low thaco even with two weapons and chunks all the novice enemies in one swing with an attack speed of 3 at level 6. I also brutally murdered Drizzt to get his scimitars but I did not get any reputation penalty(bug?)?
    That should really have made my stalker fall but since it didn't I keep on playing with them and I am crazily good, Dorn does not even stand a chance at killing anything! I was very sceptical at first so thank you all for "convincing" me the Stalker was not a waste of space class(like the DD...).

When this playthrough is done I think I will go for a Paladin and actually do my first "good" run(don't think I will succeed xD).

Thinking about Inquisitor or Cavalier...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

I generally forget their spells exist because they get druid spells only up to 3rd level...aka...not worth the slots aside from AoF. The extra mage spells are a joke and aren't worth considering....by the time you actually get them, only the spell turning one is kind of useful...but not really since if you're playing right you'll be chunking mage first, and multi-mage battles are actually pretty rare.

Well, its worth it to have slow poison and dispel magic (and maybe invisibility purge). You shouldn't need to use them since you should be a melee damage dealer, but the possibility of their usefulness certainly exists.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    The minor spells of Ranger aren't a defining characteristic of the class, just a nice little bonus. Shame though that it's just till 3rd level, when those Lawful Stupid goody-two-shoes get Cleric's spells level 4.
    (Yes, I'm talking about standard Paladins)
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 887
    Aron740 said:

... the Stalker was not a waste of space class(like the DD...)...

I quite like the DD, and don't think it's a 'waste of space'.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 887
    The stalker is the only kind of ranger I'm tempted to play (aside from a ranger/cleric).