Skip to content

Life after IWD

BrytheTheRogueBrytheTheRogue Member Posts: 15
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
Hello all! I'm new here, and also semi new to D&D on the pc, so bear with me. When I was younger, I played IWD, IWD2, and HoW with my father, so I hold sentimental value to those three games. Now being grown, I finally found my passion to play again by myself, as my father no longer lives close enough to enjoy the games with me. I have absolutely fallen back in love with playing these games, however, I don't know where to o after this! Any useful information on games similar to this, and your own personal opinions on each game would be great! Don't get me wrong, playing IWD over and over still gets my jollies off, but a new game would be quite awesome! Thanks!
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The Baldur's Gate games work on the same basic principles as IWD, with the added feature of characterized party members - rather than create a full party, you have one character who then recruits a team from a wide range of potential allies.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    BG definitely. Also try ToEE (Temple of Elemental Evil). Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 can be quite fun. As can Star wars knights of the old republic (not to be confused with simply the old republic tho MMO).
  • BrytheTheRogueBrytheTheRogue Member Posts: 15
    Thanks! I'm excited I dove back into my gaming habits, it's been too long since I spent 9 hours in front of a screen without eating.... Or blinking for that matter :)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Gog.com has a massive (80%) discount on all D&D games for another three hours;

http://www.gog.com/promo/definitive_dungeons_and_dragons

You can probably find your heart's desire in that list, I can recommend 90% of them (haven't played Demonstone and only a little of Dragonshard).
    Drugar said:

Gog.com has a massive (80%) discount on all D&D games for another three hours;

http://www.gog.com/promo/definitive_dungeons_and_dragons

You can probably find your heart's desire in that list, I can recommend 90% of them (haven't played Demonstone and only a little of Dragonshard).

Thanks so much! Good thing I found a good forum, I've been picked on in all the others I've tried :-/
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    planescape torment is a must. unconventional setting but i think you will recognize most of the mechanic from other infinity engine games (iWD, BG )

no dwarves or elves there but it is D&D setting still.

Thanks so much! Good thing I found a good forum, I've been picked on in all the others I've tried :-/

Some time ago, there was this kid, who said "Hey man, how about that Knicks game? You guys into sports?"

We threw rocks at him and called him names.

This is our land.
    Drugar said:

Some time ago, there was this kid, who said "Hey man, how about that Knicks game? You guys into sports?"

We threw rocks at him and called him names.

This is our land.
    Oh I'm into sports too, don't get me wrong. But when I asked this question in a forum which shall not be named, they accused me of being stupid, called IWD "trash", and said I probably meet played a day in my life. All because I'm decent looking. Really? Does that have ANYTHING to do with my love for the game?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    BrytheTheRogue: Well, somehow some male gamers can't understand how a female gamer can be both good-looking AND be interested in games... The world of gaming is still very much a male-dominant one, especially the gaming industry, where female employees are often still discriminated and such. Pssh, so retarded.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Yeahhh them guys were probably neckbeards don't worry about it Brythe. The internet is full of idiots. IWD 1 and 2 are awesome.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
    Planescape Torment
    Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2
    Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2

All in the same sort of vein.

So yeah... pretty much what they all said <_< Play them in that order!
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Oh and ermm.. Jade Empire isn't that bad. Nobody really remembers it, I think it's quite short but it's worth a blast.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    You guys are awesome!
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    My girlfriend once asked if she could join me on Halo multiplayer. Luckily I had grown my handlebar mustache to epic proportions by this point. Donning my beer stained tank top I was effectively able to tell her to get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!

Before I get flamed for that above post, I would like to clarify it was a joke and I spend large portions of my gaming life actually trying to persuade my GF to play games =)

I am loving the fact there are more and more female gamers out there everyday. It is a shame and very unfortunate that it is very much still a male dominated society. Most of my female friends won't even try the gaming world, or in the very least admit it. Probably out of fear of what men or even other women may say/think.

It truly is a pity, but like I said: times are changing. More and more games are using female PC's, and whereas this isn't great for male gamers who prefer playing male PC's - it is justified retribution for all the male PC's girls have had to play for countless years. I met a female gamer on a forum like 10 years ago, who responded to my request asking for advice on which BG2 NPC to romance: Viconia, Aerie or Jaheira. She responded: "You complain about which to choose, when us female gamers are stuck with.... Anomen." I couldn't have agreed more, and have never complained since.

I love the fact that sometimes when I come home from work I find a hidden saved file on my xbox. Skyrim: Nord, Female. Erica.

The character goes up a few levels every week or so. My persuasion is working. Excellent. -taps fingers together in an evil manner-
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    No need to tell.... We can see it :P
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    I also have a lot of nice souvenirs of Iwd and Iwd2, it was such a nice game. Considering your taste, I also suggest you ToEE (but you may have to install the mod circle of 8 to really enjoy the game), Planescape Torment was also something to not miss. BG:EE (of course), the future BG2:EE (naturally).
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited June 2013
    IWD would be a great one for multiplayer I imagine.
    I've begun playing BGEE with a couple of friends, only the whole game is kind of etched in my memory. I'd like the others to take charge, otherwise I'm pretty much running through a to-do list and skipping dialogues.

With IWD, I wouldn't imagine that would be a problem, it's so linear that you really get a big pile of battle challenges to work through and inventory management. All set to stunning music and in beautiful scenery.
    I thought I was the only one in LOVE with the soundtrack in IWD. I have some of the instrumentals downloaded to sleep to at night! Haha. I also am working on some IWD tattoos at the moment with a local artist, but they have to be PERFECT, as I'm so nit picky about my IWD memorabilia
    Drugar said:

Last thursday, at 1.15am my girlfriend told me to stop playing Dungeons, stop being such an addict and go to bed.
    Last saturday, at 5.30pm she was playing Settlers, still in her pyjama's with dried up breakfast next to her.

We're both sad people.

It's 6:22 pm here, I took a vacation day at work so I could finish the first IWD as I work nights and working this evening would've put a dent in my playing. Now THAT is sad.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    In my opinion Icewind Dale has the best atmosphere among the IE games.. the cold deserted north environment combined with the music of Jeremy sole is just unique! and the IWD theme... a masterpiece!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bPZ9Nt_2oA

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. I wouldn't put it at the top of your to do list, but if you have some time I'd suggest checking it out. It's similar to IWD (in that you initially create your own party) though it is turn based, difficult, at times tedious, uses (some) 3e rules and not much of a story if I recall (though the book was good.) It didn't sell too well when it came out and was marred with bugs (and if memory serves i think my disc was scratched so i could never beat the game -.- i guess there was a lot of hype about it back then but it turned out to be a let down. Still, i think it's worth looking into (maybe once you've exhausted all other options.) i haven't played it in over 10 years but i remember it being a fun way to kill time without getting sucked into it.
    Someone at work told me about pool, I'll have to check it out! Z
    mch202 said:

In my opinion Icewind Dale has the best atmosphere among the IE games.. the cold deserted north environment combined with the music of Jeremy sole is just unique! and the IWD theme... a masterpiece!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bPZ9Nt_2oA

Oooooo you made me tingly
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    I have recently started playing IWD again thanks to this thread. Excellent!

The lack of story bothers me sometimes, but it always leaves much more to the imagination.

Also Check out the upcoming game: Shadowrun Returns. Not infinity engine but it is a top down RPG in a similar mold. It looks like Fallout 2 meets Baldur's Gate. Out next month.

I don't get excited about many games but this one has my attention.

It's 6:22 pm here, I took a vacation day at work so I could finish the first IWD as I work nights and working this evening would've put a dent in my playing. Now THAT is sad.

That's dedication I can respect.

I have recently started playing IWD again thanks to this thread. Excellent!

The lack of story bothers me sometimes, but it always leaves much more to the imagination.

Also Check out the upcoming game: Shadowrun Returns. Not infinity engine but it is a top down RPG in a similar mold. It looks like Fallout 2 meets Baldur's Gate. Out next month.

I don't get excited about many games but this one has my attention.

I will DEFINITELY be looking into that! Glad you got back into IWD ;)
    Drugar said:

That's dedication I can respect.
    Hey what can I say? It's now 6:43 AM, I just stopped playing. I went straight from IWD to HoW. That's 12 hours straight play. :-)
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    BG has multiplayer support (I believe BG:EE is a bit easier to connect...) so you can still play with your pops! Plus, in a multiplayer game, you can make a full party of your own characters if you really want to.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Gog.com is having their summer sale, so you can pick up IWD 1 and 2 together for like $10. Not as good a price as it was last week, but still very good.