Skip to content

BUG? Poison triggers fireshield if the attacker who caused it is in melee range.

JyrinovJyrinov Member Posts: 3
Rogue with the Dagger of Venom backstabbed a mage before he casted Fireshield poisoning him. After casting Fireshield (from a trigger), Fireshield triggered it's damage everytime poison ticks to the rogue who was still within melee range. Rogue was not attacking, he was running away. After moving away from melee range, Fireshield damage stopped.

SCS installed with smarter mages. the mage was Karhk the Ogre Mage. I didn't test with other ways of poisoning.

Is Fireshield supposed to work this way or should it cause damage only on successful melee attack? Does Fireshield trigger also on damaging spells cast within melee range?

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited June 2013
    I don't think that it should be working that way but it is. I just tried duplicating what you describe, attacking a fireshielded mage with the Dagger of Venom, and I got the same result--every time the poison effect caused damage the game registered this as "a melee attack" and applied the damage. Moving outside of melee range stopped the fireshield damage. I tried it with attack spells and wands and the same thing happened--inside melee range the reverse damage was applied. It doesn't appear that effect 232 (cast spell on condition) has an option for "only if attacked by melee" so we will probably have to live with the spell for now and just be aware of it.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Any damage done by an offending character who is within melee range of the defending character with a damage shield will cause the shield to trigger and strike back at the offending character.

Looking at the description of the spells I can only surmise that the current function is correct so I think it may be best to leave this one alone.