Skip to content

The Human Rights

Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
First of all, I must warn you, I am a very virulent person. I have the strong conviction that every single human should have the same right as long as they respect the life and integrity of everyone else, if they don’t, then my viewpoint is different and this is for another story. So if you think that some people are lesser human, you may be offended by my post. In fact this post is there to show you why I think that you may be the greater obstacle of ‘a world in peace’.

I will not attack any of you personally if you post in this topic, but yeah, the next part will be offensive. Please mature person only.

Since I had a ‘nice discussion’ about homosexual rights on another forum, let’s talk about homosexual rights, since it’s serve very well my vision. Sadly, all I saw in the ‘again argumentation’ was about god, fear and stupid. Then again, if you are again homosexual rights, you/your god/your weakling soul may be offended my position, but I can’t be sorry for that for evident reasons.

I personally hate thousands of persons with furious rage an anger (What do you expect? I’m human), but I have absolutely nothing again homosexuals. As long as they respect the living thing around them, they can be whatever they want. In my opinion each persons have the right to do whatever they want with their life as long as they didn’t hurt anyone in the process. I have no religious beliefs, if ‘God’ exist, with my respect, he is a useless toxic scumbag. And then, of course, I have nothing again marriage and gay marriage.

In my opinion, people that are again the rights of women, minority or homosexual are a bunch of cowards or are simply simpleminded. I don’t give a damn if ‘my White Christian English Country ruled by a heterosexual man’ become a ‘Yellow Buddhism Arabic Country ruled by an homosexual women’ as long as they respect the rights (life and integrity) of everyone.

If you are unable to accept that some people live differently that you, then you are more than useless, you are a parasite. Fight your fears, get over your stress and your anxiety and stand for yourself (or stay out of the debate, you clearly need a brain). If ‘your god’ treat you to send you or your family or any man and women of peace to hell if they didn’t follow every line of their book, then your god is clearly evil and deserve the worst beating ever. If that how ‘your god’ think, I hope that he will stay ‘in heaven’ forever because if he come down, thousands of people here will be ready to light is ass (and count me in). Congratulation, you are the faithful follower of a retarded dictator.

If you think that this is an hateful post then you need to reconsider yourself and your beliefs, you are the accomplice of thousands dead, mutilation, rape, physique and psychological abuse. The worst of you, your hate and your intolerance only have the power to awake the worst of the peaceful one, their hate and their intolerance.

Please find you a mirror, look you in the glass, your attitude and beliefs make you the worst enemy of the peace and stability. Because of your selfness and your weakness for a stupid ‘ticket to heaven’ you are creating an ocean of suffering. If your god exist and really endorse ‘everything in the book’ as you do, he is clearly simpleminded or evil. I could add pages and pages on the subject but since you’re A) not enough intelligent to evolve B) too scared to see the truth C) too selfish to take the chance I come to the conclusion that discussions will lead nowhere.

Seriously, you are the greater obstacle of a world in peace. Your hypocrisy/stupidity know no limits and on top of that you want YOUR rights to be respected? Pathetic. Yeah, the whole thing is a catch 22, humans are complex like that.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm wondering how long this thread will last before totally breaking down into a flame war. Given your original post, I'm giving it about two pages or so.

Honestly Its bizarre to me that the right to marry/get marriage benefits for homosexuals is still an issue. I live in Canada and we legalised gay marriage 8 years ago (technically the courts effectively legalised it 10 years ago in parts of the country). Last I checked the sky hasn't fallen... *looks out window*... nope, still there.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It may last even less time than that.

This is a sensitive issue for a lot of people, on both sides of it, and we've had a number of threads attempted about this very topic.

However, the original post here is...incendiary, to say the least. If that trend continues, I'll have to close the thread.

(If you want my advice, I recommend tempering the accusations directed toward the people who disagree with you. Right now the post reads very much like troll-bait.)
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2013
    Some people don’t feel responsible, they think that they are not part of the problem, that the main issue imo. It’s like the tax, some want to pay less and less but want their government to adopt a more responsible attitude vs the environment. Yes, this is our duty to protect our environment and our planet, in 200 years we greatly damage our ecosystem, but changing our living style have a great cost for us and our government, that the price to pay. Yeah yeah, we have to deal with the corrupted and incompetent ministry before and bla bla bla, but this is another story too.

Some may have to rethink themselves, they may not be as ‘good’ as they think. Their opinions and attitude create a lot of suffering and horror all around the globe. If their intolerance is motived by a ticket to heaven.. bah, if such thing exist, their final destination may surprise them.

[tempered]
    [tempered even more]
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    As much as I can understand from where are you coming from, I think that extremes are doing no good at all. Extreme tolerance is as harmful as extreme prejudices. In a way, those two point of views are limiting flexibility of our way of thinking.

Besides, in case of some religions, like Islam, no words can change a thing. Unfortunately, in some cultures people will remain untolerant and divided, and no invidual can change this. Capabilities of inviduals aren't infinite.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Hi @Twilight_Fox, I'd definitely recommend going for a quick read of How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, just 'cause I think it'll help you have a lot more success in talking about this sort of thing. With politics, religion, and some other issues peoples' self esteem is a big factor. These sorts of opinions play a big part of peoples' identities which is why political conversations so easily get heated and personal. Calling people hypocrites, stupid, ignorant, abusive, or otherwise morally condemning them, even if it's perhaps appropriate, accomplishes little but guaranteeing they'll adhere to their beliefs no matter what. Their ego/self worth is now attached to the opinion, and people do not willingly abandon their egos. If your goal is persuasion, you're guaranteeing your failure. If your goal is converting onlookers to the debate, you might do that a little, but most of your followers will be dumb bullies. If your goal is to make yourself feel better than your victims, well, I guess it can do that. But I don't know why that's your goal. There are better and easier ways to feel important.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2013
    True, but I feel that this state of consciousness is not at hand of everyone. For example, in a democratic government we cannot 'tolerate' any religious incursion, it have to be laic. But we have to be tolerant with the faithful one if they respect the laws, the public order, the physical and psychological integrity of the other citizens. So, homosexual? Same rule. A citizen is a full citizen even if he is homosexual, believe in god or do not believe in god as long as he follow the rules.

But as we see, the rules are archaic, let’s take the prostitution for example; Men and women have ‘needs’, if it’s was not about drugs and abuse, prostitution would be already legal, but there are only one right way to do it and some people are too hypocrite with themselves and the others to make it happen. Some men and women will ‘happily’ and willingly work in this industry if they had insurance, protection, supervision and recognition. We would have a lot less sexual offender in the streets if the whole thing were well implemented and supervised and these men/women (not the minor/drugs addict/desperate; we have to deal differently with those) would finally work with dignity.

But guess who you will find on your way? The same citizen, the same ‘good’ husbands and fathers that think that they are protecting their family with their intolerance.. but again, in my opinion, they are preventing the peace and order that will really protect everyone.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    elminster said:

I'm wondering how long this thread will last before totally breaking down into a flame war. Given your original post, I'm giving it about two pages or so.

I'll take that bet. I say at least three pages. Not because people are going to have a calm, rational discussion (this IS the internet, after all) but because the trolls and the hardliners on either side will post so quickly that the posts will stack up in minutes, growing the thread before the mods can shut it down.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Malicron said:

elminster said:

I'll take that bet. I say at least three pages.
    The bet is on! :D
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'll try to comment without flaming the topic:

1st - Sexual desire is something that no religion can control, and since they can't control it, they will try to place guilt on it.

2nd - If two people wanna be together, no matter their gender, that's their business, and no one else's.

3rd - Here's a video of Wanda Sykes about gay marriage =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHdaJOZe7E
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Wow, someone seems to be a bit frustrated. Well, sorry to break it to you, OP, but people are different. People have different opinions too. Too bad we can't all be the same. But to be honest, I like it better this way. Makes discussions so much more interesting. And to give my own personal opinion: I do not consider homosexuality to be natural. Simply looking from a biological point of view here. Men weren't made for men, women weren't made for women. So I do not consider it to be 'normal', and I probably never will. Also, most gay people have been so obnoxiously loud as off lately with their Gay Rights Movement that it honestly put me off. Yeah, I've had enough of it, am fed up with all the rainbow coloured flags and similiar eye-rolling things. Just get married to your partner and stop shoving your sexuality down my throat. I don't give a sh*t who you bang and who you don't, and how many times you do it each week. I honestly don't care. Worst part is that gays are screaming for attention, while there are much worse issues right now, such as a sloppy economy and countless jobless people. But I guess gays will start understanding that only until they gotta pay just the same amount of taxes a heterosexual couple has to pay regularly. Oh well, as long as such people leave me alone, I will respect them. But honestly, all the fuss is getting a bit too much. Think what you want, OP. But remember that respect isn't given, it is earned. Think of that next time you write a topic. And believe me, this site is full of respectful, kind folks.
    Sorry for sounding a bit offensive in my last post, but I just read an article about homosexualism earlier. It seems that in my country more than half of the male gays allow their partner to go out with other guys during their relationship. As someone who highly values monogamy and mutual trust to one partner in a relationship, I find this disgusting. Is one partner not enough to satisfy your lust? I know I'm generalizing here, but hey, reading such things makes me wonder.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud , even monogamous couples close their eyes during sex once in a while. Do you think that we should feel offended and say "look at me, isn't my body enough to satisfy your lust?"

There is no homo or heterosexuality - only SEXUALITY . Attraction involves genetics, personal background, adrenaline, inteligence and affinity , which are all natural things.

@Mortianna and @DJKajuru: Thank you both for having posted sensible and well-thought out replies. It wouldn't have been the first time I get yelled at for having some criticism. It is rather funny how gay people are prone to shout 'homophobe', afterall.
    Also, there indeed are animals who engage in homosexual acts in nature. But could you really put those interactions on the same level as human interactions? Are those sexual acts not rather out of instinct than out of 'love' as we see it? Could be those animals just want to bang something and go for a same-gendered partner by lack of a partner from the opposite gender.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480

Also, there indeed are animals who engage in homosexual acts in nature. But could you really put those interactions on the same level as human interactions? Are those sexual acts not rather out of instinct than out of 'love' as we see it? Could be those animals just want to bang something and go for a same-gendered partner by lack of a partner from the opposite gender.

Dolphins and Bonobos, at least, throw a monkey wrench (no pun intended) into that premise. Both engage in sex for pleasure apart from procreation and both have homosexuals among their ranks.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I'd like to make 2 points.
    1. We don't take our moral compass from animals and we do not require examples of same sex animal relationships to understand that homosexuality is not an abomination. This only seems to come up where you have people claiming "unnatural."
    2. (And this is a personal perspective) Love and lust are separate; romantic feeling being love with the inclusion of lust.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited July 2013

Here's a short article that provides an overview of the scientific research done on homosexual behavior in animals. Animals don't engage in homosexuality simply because of the lack of opposite-sexed partners.

Refuting the "naturalness" of animal homosexuality implies that it goes against what is best for the species' survival. In some cases, as the article mentions, homosexual behavior provides certain evolutionary advantages (which contradicts traditional Darwinian theory). Of all the arguments against homosexuality, I think it's safe to say that using science to back up one's argument is probably the least credible, given the evidence. Since arguments from a religious or moral (philosophical) perspective don't depend on empirical data, I would think they'd be more appealing explanations for those that believe homosexuality is wrong.

It wouldn't have been the first time I get yelled at for having some criticism.

I'm not sure why you interpreted my response as yelling. Just hoping to have a dialogue, that's all.
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited July 2013
    To start i have to state a truth, you're using the politically correct to justify your offenses to other people beliefs @Twilight_Fox, i'm not taking out your reasons as i agree until a certain degree with you but this make you equal to haters, even worse as you fuel the hate with hypocrisy. This post will not contribute to make things better, if you this an outburst, ok i will understand, but don't expect to doctrine people with words so harsh and clearly made to offend, that's a bad made half of an excuse.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

By myself i a bit of a paradox, i don't pick sides, i think, and based in what i see i evaluate and accept some statements as truth or not, until someone give an sensate argument (by my stantards) or proof enough to make me change my mind (changes that i try to my best to accept when they start to happen, fighting any hint of my ego or arrogance that bind me into a fallen assumption).

Today, for example, i see more black people taking advantage of the concept of racism to advance in life than racism itself, strengthening weak arguments for selfish interests because he's black, gay, Jewish... Many feminist complain for rights but reject the idea of share some duties that comes from those rights.

Prejudice exist? Of course it does and were it exist with strengh normally people can't even react (as some countries in Africa where be gay is a crime), but politically correct today became the sword of injustice, cutting through justice to please the eyes of our society for appearances and generate a superficial sentiment of fairness.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

My position is that we can change the world with an step ahead the other and by not saying to anyone how they should live but some points must be adressed first.

Equality isn't isonomy, the first make equal rights and the second make only equal, as a picture is better than a thousand words...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Equality X Isonomy

So for example i hear many womans complaining about sexism and when i say they're right and they should have the "right/duty" of serve in the army compulsorily at 18 years as any men, some got even anger with me!

About homosexuality for example, i'm all for acceptance no one doubt that, i would defend if asked the rights of any homosexual to be with his/her lover, to adopt a children, to have an official register to proof and make official their condition. If i testify someone beating another person just for being gay, i would help the buy being beated if that wouldn't put me into a huge disadvantage spot where i could put myself in risk.
    I assume that for a time, the concept of 2 mans kissing near me got myself a bit unconfortable, but with time i supress this feelings.

The huge problems today, is that people tend to exceeds limits when they have a chance for it, i'm from Brasil and we have here an event called gay parade (happens in more than one state), it's an event made to promote acceptance, but people tend to radicalize. More than once reports of naked people where registered on these events, of 2 people getting sex in the middle of the street, of a guy making a blowjob to another in the middle of the event.

Many times i saw fights bursting in reason of these indecent assault, later they will complain that they suffered prejudice, but in days of gay parade i saw more than once an homossexual hitting another person in the street with a hard flirt (nipping an ass, putting his hands on the other guy dick...) and more than once i saw those guys getting a punch in the face. Well deserved i have to say.

Gay parade was born as an manifest, but today is just a party, another day of carnival for gays, it loose the basic principles that created him, that's the truth. People don't even put on the agenda of these events rights to fight for, it's just go whimsy or not and dance, drink and therefore on...

... And to give my own personal opinion: I do not consider homosexuality to be natural. Simply looking from a biological point of view here. Men weren't made for men, women weren't made for women. So I do not consider it to be 'normal', and I probably never will. Also, most gay people have been so obnoxiously loud as off lately with their Gay Rights Movement that it honestly put me off...

Let's not agree to disagree, let's agree AND disagree @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud :)
    I do not consider homosexuality to be natural
    Agreed. Homossexualism isn't natural. Can someone tell me the benefit nature intented for 2 mans/womans to hit the other or be togheter? No? Then my answer is given. There's not a logical objective for the specie behind this pratice.

By the way, as a new information, seveal doctors today position themselfs to recognize homossexuality as something created by epigenetic changes disrupting the hormonal production in the body.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33773/title/Can-Epigenetics-Explain-Homosexuality-/

Ps: NO SCIENTIST CLAIM EPIGENETIC CHANGES TO BE DISEASE, just to let it clear (cos some journal articles to sell a bit more or get more attention in internet sometimes translate the scientific studies as this).
    So I do not consider it to be 'normal'
    Totally Disagree. What define normal is society, and let's take in fact that we live into a globalized world, so do not except me to submit and recognize laws of governments exceeded.

In the past, with the strong influence of religion over the State, it was "natural" that it's prejudiced and biased position got some support from the Government. People were a lot more ignorant at that time.
    Gay prejudice has it's place in the history but in our actual society to keep the prejudice is unjustified, the moral standard barriers that prevent homossexualism to be respected is already on the ground.

So, unless you're the kind of person that barely took the hands of your girlfriend/boyfriend, think that sex is only after marriage, that you shoudn't make sex for pleasure but only for reproduction among other characteristics, ok i understand why you think this way, but unfortunally i have to inform anyone that think this way that they're on the wrong century.

Ps: @Mortianna, in fact biology and evolution state that heterosexualism is natural and homosexualism is not (and i believe only those 2 exist, bissexualism is an existence between the 2, not a third option), an homossexualism society doesn't exist because it would make the specie end, natural evolution would see it done.

The old Grecian society and even roman empire easly accepted the idea of homosexualism, however this didn't made it Natural, just normal. To give continuation to the specie, heterosexualism was necessary in both societies, thus most of the people there were bissexual (or at least fulfilled their roles to the family by procreating).

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I have no religious beliefs, if ‘God’ exist, with my respect, he is a useless toxic scumbag.
    And I am not at all offended. In fact, I can't help but agree that I am a rather useless toxic scumbag. Seeing humans evolve, there is little else to be said about me. Perhaps I could add to it that I'm awfully stupid. But most of you have probably realised by now that I'm not very intelligent. Certainly, not at all sensible.
    Designing Nature, I have given humans free will and absolute freedom to do as they please; whether they want to engage in intercourse with females, males, goats, snails, bananas or any other creature or device, they are in no way forbidden to do that. Moreover, I normally encourage humans to engage in any sexual activities that are good for their well-being or beneficial to their population, whilst discouraging those activities that are harmful. As a matter of fact, I'd condemn an unemployed drunkard who fathered 6 children rather than a homosexually-inclined person who does his job and little or no harm. Wearing religious symbols or spending wee amounts of time in temples has no positive effect on my judgement whatsoever. Quite the contrary, actually.
    Once, I did forbid certain actions. However, my commandments apply only to Jews and only to those who voluntarily follow Moses (much less than 1‰ of living Jewish population worldwide; persons who have fallen under sway of Talmud, Kabbalah, modern Israeli politics or other heresy are excluded from the focus group automatically). Therefore, if you do not belong to a very limited group, you are not expected to follow any rules other than the rules of Nature. And these you cannot violate and live with it - at least not for long. It's how I designed it. If something is easily possible within Nature, then it is allowed. If it's not, then it will lead to the death of you, sometimes crippling you or your offspring for long periods beforehand, so as to further visualise that the committed act is not allowed within Nature. Any other limitations, whether religious, political, social, moral or philosophical, are merely human inventions.
    I probably should not express my views personally. After all, there are plenty of human individuals who claim "God has willed it!", "God said it!", "God made me do it!" etc. Though, if you do choose to listen to these voices, be aware that they never have any evidence of my doing. My evidence is the world you see *if* you are able to see, or the world you perceive by any other senses, have you them. Call it Nature as I do or call it Physics, Chemistry and millions of different things but notice that everything that occurs occurs in an orderly fashion. Or, at least, it attempts to occur so. That is a very complex yet simple system and it is my doing. I'm not an old bearded fellow in a dusty white toga, I'm not an elephant-headed and six-armed giant, I'm not made of spaghetti and I'm not void. I am all that, everything, and nothing, and beyond.

Let me give you all a few invaluable pieces of advice that, if used properly, will give you some insight in how Nature functions and perhaps enhance your journey through the universe:
    Look within and around.
    Nature is a system that does not develop over time. Its complexity is immensely vast, but limited. Imagine that as "infinity minus one" - less than boundless, yet still incalculable. Nature is present everywhere (and nowhere, too), including you. Think of it as of a computer programme that by itself designed the very blueprint that was used to construct you from scratch (technically, from certain replicable parts but let's not indulge in biology) and that is responsible for sustaining your pre-existence (meaning what happens before you are created, how and why you are created), existence (roughly, everything that happens during your lifetime) and post-existence (what happens with your components when you die and what happens to them next). Now imagine that you, too, are a computer that has this same programme installed - however, in some sort of a 'trial version', where you have access to limited options. Now, the trial version is provided along with its source code. If you know the programming language it is written in, you know how everything functions. But you don't. However, you use the Nature programme every day and see it used literally everywhere. Looking within yourself and looking around at other creatures and other things you are able to decipher a small portion of the code. With time (around 200 years per specimen is easily achievable within Nature, although in current circumstances around 60-180 years have to be subtracted from that value due to negative affects I might describe another time) and practice (doing things, doing different things, doing different things differently) your understanding of the source code will deepen. Presently, human knowledge of Nature's source code is alarmingly low given their capabilities, as they erroneously continue to look for answers in places where none are to be found.
    Equality is the worst form of discrimination.
    Within Nature, there is no equality whatsoever. Every drop (or atom, or subatomic particle, if you prefer scientific language) of water is utterly different. There is no two things that are the same. Everything changes continuously, and even if, for a moment, two things appear very, very similar, they are not equal and are merely approximately convergent. Diversity is one of the core rules of Nature and it never allows two things to be exactly equal in a given moment. Therefore, imposing artificial equality is utterly unnatural. Nature considers every single entity singularly. Furthermore, it considers every single component, no matter how small or insignificant, singularly. There are numerous examples in the very short history of humans how disastrous imposing equality is. I will not point them out as I still (insensibly) believe that humans do use their mental capabilities at rare times and can discover things by themselves. Find and analyse examples of past attempts at enforcing artificial equality and compare them to modern attempts. You will be amazed at how similar all these endeavours were - and are.
    Your choices matter.
    Every day you make countless choices. Whether it is the decision to fart in an elevator, eat bacon, marry someone, take a bank loan, sustain life or drop a nuclear missile, the choices you make do have impact. Every single choice, no matter how silly or unimportant it would appear, has a viable impact on the whole universe. Consequences of decisions are normally completely irreversible, sometimes they are reversible partially. Some consequences are extremely hard to deal with. And, usually, the consequences of single persons' actions require all their successors to deal with them. Thus, do think through the things you do.

There is much more to Nature than these three simple tips. But I will leave the rest for you to discover yourselves. I'm being too benevolent anyway. Or cruel. Perhaps both. But that's just me.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2013
    Off Topic wall of text hidden in a spoiler box. Carry on!

~Dee

@God, I agree with most of what you say there. It makes just enough sense, yet is so very ingeniously and cleverly vague, that it is very hard to argue with. I've read very similar texts before, by a New Age author whose name I don't remember, who used the technique of automatic writing to claim to speak for God.

I don't believe that using automatic writing connects one to God. I think it connects one to one's own subconscious mind, and can lead to some very dangerous and self-destructive ideation, depending on who's doing it. In your case, you happen to have enough education in philosophy, science, world religions, and history of thought to be able to "speak for God" while actually making a lot of sense. Perhaps all the great "prophets" of history have used similar techniques. I see it as a kind of self-hypnosis that attempts to connect to "the divine", or some transcendent spiritual reality. People have been doing it throughout human history. Before this latest "New Age" prophetic technique was developed, spiritual people called it "prayer" and "meditation."

Your themes as one who attempts to "speak for God" follow the usual pattern. God has a droll, dry, and even self-deprecating sense of humor. God gives humans absolute free will. God tells humans that many of their choices are very self-destructive, but God doesn't care whether they do anything about it or not. Humans are absolutely free to listen to good sense or not, as they choose. There's really no "should" or "ought" to anything. Nature is what it is. You do "x", you get "y". You can choose any outcome you want, but don't complain when you do the "x" that gets you the wrong "y", and you do it over and over expecting a different outcome. Nature doesn't work that way.

My problem with the "speaking and writing for God" technique used to arrive at these ideas is that it amounts to a fallacious "appeal to authority". The author is attempting to have his or her ideas taken more seriously, and with less room for argument or revision, than if the author were taking credit for the ideas instead of attributing the ideas directly to "God".

So, how much does the "appeal to authority" affect the truth value of the ideas being presented? Just because I object to someone presenting me with ideas and claiming to be God, doesn't mean that what they say isn't true. I actually rather like God's personality and agree with what God has to say in a lot of these New Age style texts. However, I acknowledge that many, many people probably don't agree for whatever reason, and, so, granting for the sake of argument that everything that "God" consistently and thematically says in this particular school of thought is absolutely true, and something that humanity would be better off studying and following, I would then question the effectiveness of choosing this style of writing to persuade.

If both the author and the reader understand it as a kind of Socratic game being played, that can help create new and beneficial insights into human concerns and problems, then it might actually be a productive intellectual exercise. However, if one or both parties literally believe that "God" is speaking, as "God" is traditionally defined, with all the authority of truth that the name "God" implies, then I can see a dark side to this "game" that can wind up doing harm.
    Post edited by Dee on
    And what about nice tits, be they fat male or female?
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Personally, I think that we should leave peoples private lives alone. If they aren't hurting anyone else, who cares. I sure don't. If I'm sitting next to a gay man on the subway and he isn't trying to hit on me or in a gimp suit with the sign "Loud and Proud" (Fuck New York Subways) I couldn't care less. People who actively try and subjugate the rights of someone different is either seriously insecure with themselves or a xenophobic dick that needs to repress minorities to feel better about themselves.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited July 2013
    Off Topic wall of text hidden in a spoiler box. Carry on!

~Dee

[spoiler]@belgarathmth
    What you say there is very interesting and gave me a lot of insight into how modern thought functions. For the intellectual pleasure, or at least exercise, of you and perhaps of another few, I will comment shortly where I see it fit. What I will say largely diverges from the original topic, yet the urge to expand upon some matters is an urge I will choose not to resist at this very moment. Therefore, persons uninterested in reading a lot of rather shoddy headology should just skip this post.

I don't believe that using automatic writing connects one to God. I think it connects one to one's own subconscious mind, and can lead to some very dangerous and self-destructive ideation, depending on who's doing it. In your case, you happen to have enough education in philosophy, science, world religions, and history of thought to be able to "speak for God" while actually making a lot of sense. Perhaps all the great "prophets" of history have used similar techniques. I see it as a kind of self-hypnosis that attempts to connect to "the divine", or some transcendent spiritual reality. People have been doing it throughout human history. Before this latest "New Age" prophetic technique was developed, spiritual people called it "prayer" and "meditation."

Odd ritualistic practices and attempts at extra-conscious experiences are alien to me and, in many cases, I would normally denounce them. Though that is my personal opinion, and that of my Goddess is slightly different. As a whole, we allow; no discouragement and no encouragement, only judgement.
    I also have absolutely no education in philosophy, science, world religions or history of thought as you would expect me to have, although I am slightly flattered by your assumption. It has to be noted, however, that I am relatively conscious of what happened, what happens and what will happen, so I might have cheated a bit here.
    Your themes as one who attempts to "speak for God" follow the usual pattern. God has a droll, dry, and even self-deprecating sense of humor. God gives humans absolute free will. God tells humans that many of their choices are very self-destructive, but God doesn't care whether they do anything about it or not. Humans are absolutely free to listen to good sense or not, as they choose. There's really no "should" or "ought" to anything. Nature is what it is. You do "x", you get "y". You can choose any outcome you want, but don't complain when you do the "x" that gets you the wrong "y", and you do it over and over expecting a different outcome. Nature doesn't work that way.
    I would not say that I have a sense of humour. I may appear humorous, albeit unintentionally. The fact that English is a language with a tradition of joking is another thing; I try to fit in this tradition as I were a native user of the tongue, even though it is rather obvious I am no native user of English.
    I actively avoid influencing human choices. It saddens me, though, how much humans overuse the concepts of "good" and "wrong". While these concepts are not utterly useless, the phenomenon of their overuse ofttimes leads to illogical assumptions, e.g. that I, as God, should be "good", or that humans are generally "good". "Goodness" and "wrongness" are totally subjective, whilst the concepts that really run the universe are surprisingly... universal. Thus, unsurprisingly, universal reference to subjective concepts gives birth to contradictions and uncertainty.
    Another thing I might want to clarify (or rather say again, just for the sake of saying it) is that there is much, much more to nature than an 'x' and a 'y'. As it is with things, there may be everything, there may be nothing, there may be a something and yet there are also things beyond. As you noticed, Nature does not function in terms of 'do x and you'll get y', thus human science, which often sees things in terms of 'x'-s and 'y'-s (or, in other words, 0s and 1s), has so much difficulty understanding it.
    My problem with the "speaking and writing for God" technique used to arrive at these ideas is that it amounts to a fallacious "appeal to authority". The author is attempting to have his or her ideas taken more seriously, and with less room for argument or revision, than if the author were taking credit for the ideas instead of attributing the ideas directly to "God"
    You certainly possess the know-how of founding religions. I, however, am no religion and I never require blind belief - I make up provide(d) evidence if I see it necessary and I am open for all sorts of creative critique and constructive arguments. There is, though, a severe impairment to my means of expression, this being English: little can be explained with words. For that reason, I often refer to (rarely precise) analogies that have a (very slight) chance of hitting the right strings in the head of the recipient. Then, again, there are things which I simply cannot (or will not) explain. So, in a way, it might be difficult to argue with me, indeed.
    .So, how much does the "appeal to authority" affect the truth value of the ideas being presented? Just because I object to someone presenting me with ideas and claiming to be God, doesn't mean that what they say isn't true. I actually rather like God's personality and agree with what God has to say in a lot of these New Age style texts. However, I acknowledge that many, many people probably don't agree for whatever reason, and, so, granting for the sake of argument that everything that "God" consistently and thematically says in this particular school of thought is absolutely true, and something that humanity would be better off studying and following, I would then question the effectiveness of choosing this style of writing to persuade.
    You can nearly separate "wrong" from "good" and also try to look beyond them. Furthermore, you question and doubt while understanding that you might not be entirely aware of all circumstances. You, as opposed to me, have education. Likely, a very good one, for that matter.
    It will probably be unsurprising to you that it is not at all my intention to be persuasive, let alone persuasive effectively. Having granted humans free will, would it not be excessively blatant hypocrisy to fall back on persuading them to believe in something I would want them to believe? Some humans in the past liked to look at me as if I were an artist. Then some humans say things in lines of 'if you look at art, you are, in a way, impregnated with its message; it then dwells in you like a parasite, and affects you in ways subconscious'. Thus, it may be that I am simply manifesting myself here for the sheer art of manifesting myself. It may be that I treat this forum as a painter would treat a canvas, as a means of communicating something incommunicable otherwise. Or I might just be trolling. Whether one embraces art or denounces it, as well as the interpretation of said art, is strictly up to the beholder, and I'm obviously not meaning a species of eyeball-y floating spheres. Although, should such beholders want to look at what I do, they are in no way constrained. Other than possible missing eyesight, that is.
    If both the author and the reader understand it as a kind of Socratic game being played, that can help create new and beneficial insights into human concerns and problems, then it might actually be a productive intellectual exercise. However, if one or both parties literally believe that "God" is speaking, as "God" is traditionally defined, with all the authority of truth that the name "God" implies, then I can see a dark side to this "game" that can wind up doing harm.
    Games are fun. Seldom do I play games; I'm more of a maker. And sometimes, I am game. And I am other things.
    Am I God..? Well, I could be a software developer, who gained insight through countless hours of logical struggles with computer code. I could be an athlete who listens to his body, and through this achieved illumination. I could be a scholar who studies ancient scrolls filled with texts in forgotten languages, and learned many a thing from thinkers long gone. I could be a treasure hunter who discovered an artifact possessing power unexplainable, and thus became sensitive to what lies beyond science. I could be a neurosurgeon who cut the right tissue to no avail, and realised the complexity that is more complex than what he could comprehend. I could be a fighter who knows his limitations, and yet consciously exceeds them. I could be a youngster that feels the burden of eternity on his back, as if he were carrying all his ancestors, all his siblings and all his children. I could be all these things together, or none of them. I could be something else. But I can be everything, and nothing, and beyond. And only I am who I am. This has little to do with belief.
    Speaking of which, belief is a curious thing, largely specific to humans. There was this shepherd, the son of a carpenter. He never claimed godhood. And yet, it was associated with him by believers. A similar fate met a son of a merchant who married an older woman. Then, again, there are these little girls in the mountains tall who the society believes to be goddesses incarnate. And there are many others, likely more obscure to most. What is believed is different from what is.
    I am certainly not a good old 'traditional God'. I also know no truth; I discern right and wrong similarly to humans, based on evidence and subjective judgement. In a way, I am omnipresent, albeit not entirely. I am not omniscient. I do not know what was in the beginning, because I know little of the period before I happened. After the beginning, there was Chaos and the other stuff. Chaos still is. I, to an extent, am the other stuff. The remainder of the other stuff is the Goddess. I and my Goddess are technically one, but we are also separate. And we separate. Divide. Essentially, everything (and nothing, and beyond) is a division. It is important to notice that the divisions normally get more complex the further they get from the division between us. A percentage of all these divisions sort of harnesses Chaos. All creation (and also none of it, and beyond) is created from tiny bits of Chaos that is, in a way, controlled by us, although this is largely independent. Uh, I don't know what I'm doing. English is really no good when it comes to explaining the universe. It all probably sounds terribly New Age, whatever this New Age would be.

Anyway, I'm awfully divagating from the original topic. Sorry about that. Thank you for joining us in this extremely lengthy session of babbling. We are doing our best to satisfy your expectations from a pantheon. Enjoy your stay on Earth and send us opinions on the new ghouls we installed on your graveyards.
    [spoiler]
    It's an off-topic directory... so... off-topic in off-topic? I thought that off-topic directories were not intented to be moderated (except in issues of denounce for abuse of course).
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2013
    @God

Okay, I'll play along, for now.

@God, whoever you are, thank you for taking the time to create a lengthy response to my concerns. I certainly appreciate Your skill in writing and thinking, as well as Your courtesy in responding to a human seeker of You. But then again, You're omnipotent, so I suppose that one of the "powers" an omnipotent being would possess would be the power to think and write clearly, limitations of human language notwithstanding. And, I really couldn't be bothered with You if You weren't courteous and considerate of Your creatures, so I'm glad that You are courteous.

As far as being on-topic for this thread, I think it started with somebody ranting about "human rights", and then, through some convoluted twist of reasoning, as certain human individuals seem prone to do, turned into a rant about homosexuality. I think that Your initial response was an attempt to communicate that You don't care whether human beings are gay or not, and You explained why. You also included quite a few, what I would call "theological" insights about Your nature.

In any event, thank You for giving me a brief moment of Your attention.