Skip to content

Otiluke's resilient sphere malfunction

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
It's pretty simple.

Current Behavior:

Otiluke's resilient sphere is making it's targets invisible.

Expected Behavior:

Otiluke's resilient sphere should put the target under a sphere of invulnerability that isolate the individual (pretty much as it's done in Irenicus's Dungeon with the Cambion).

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited July 2013
    I just tested the spell and although it does make its target invisible, it is also making the target unable to act via hold creature 3 (effect 185), makes them immune to damage (effects 84 through 89), and immune to magic (a combination of effects 166, 102, 204, and 205). The spell is definitely working as its description says it should. Its only drawback is that the target may save to avoid the effect--if I cast this on a wounded party member I don't want them to avoid the spell!

I do notice that some of the effect durations are off--the spell description says "1 turn" but many effect last for only 42 ticks rather than 60; I am correcting that at this time.

I don't see any reason to make the target invisible, though, especially since that isn't in the spell description. In fact, if that effect is removed then Otiluke's Resilient Sphere makes for the perfect bait--target a party member then let the monsters attack the invulnerable target while the other party members take care of business.

edit: I just thought of another weakness--poison, or any other continuing damage effect. If poisoned, right now it might be possible for the poison to damage the subject of ORS. I need to add "cure poison", "immune to opcode: poison", and "immune to opcode: damage" effects to ORS to account for that possibility. Even though there are no level-drainers in this game, I should probably add "immune to opcode: level drain" just to be thorough. I also changed "invisibility" into "sanctuary" (effect 153), which should cause enemies to ignore the targeted creature.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The BGEE version does not currently have all of the BG2FP fixes applied to it.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, i have some mods installed in my pc, none that change spells, but in my games Otiluke's doesn't forbid it's target of actions, i used it only twice, but if the immunity effects are still being applied (i'm going to make a check on EE keeper with a saved game character under otiluke's) it will become my cheese resource for some fights :).
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Otiluke's was super-broken in BG2. Because of the order of its effects, it blocked about 90% of what it was supposed to do--even if you look at it in NI or DLTCEP, it's a subtle error.

Granted, even without that error it would still be broken.

Its only drawback is that the target may save to avoid the effect--if I cast this on a wounded party member I don't want them to avoid the spell!

It's an interesting point and, I think, entirely doable.

Tresset
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    CamDawg said:

Its only drawback is that the target may save to avoid the effect--if I cast this on a wounded party member I don't want them to avoid the spell!

It's an interesting point and, I think, entirely doable.

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Also would be nice if it weren't considered a hostile spell.
    TJ_Hooker00zim00
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Making the spell non-hostile is trivial in either NI or DLTCEP. Making the spell so that it has a saving throw if cast on enemies but not on party members...I am not certain if that is possible.