Skip to content

Most versatile PC?

CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
I am looking for some variety in my next playthrough... 'Versatile' is the keyword :) Normally I play as multiclass fighter/thief, mage/thief or fighter/mage. I prefer not too OP, and no duel-class. Any suggestion for next playthrough?

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Bards are fairly versatile.
  • EejitEejit Member Posts: 55
    Cleric /mage?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what about a dwarven fighter/cleric? ( its not dual classed, but multied) you have better attack ability than a cleric and you can cast some healing spells, plus being a dwarf with 19 con will give you some great saves, or you could be a half-orc, but then you can start with 19 str/con and you would really wreck shop (although your saves would be worse than the dwarf's) or if you want versatility trying playing one of the bard kits, they can all cast mage spells, and depending on what type of character you like using; party bufferer ( skald), crowd disabler (jester) or offensive combatant (blade) you could go down that route as well, although if you chose a blade, I would highly suggest you put some proficiency into two weapon fighting and scimitar and go whack everyone's favourite pal Drizzt, because his gear is amazing for blades ( its like it was made for a blade) this will give your blade a decent armor class and his weapons will actually give your blade some hitting power, plus I would suggest giving your blade 18 str at character creation so when you find the tome of str you can increase it to 19 and then give him the gauntlets of weapon specialization and then he will be to do some relatively decent damage in melee, also you could try the totemic or avenger druids as well, you can grow to level 10 so lots of spell casting and their special abilities are also pretty neat
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well... Cleric/Thief might work well...

It'll work as a thief, through the use of DUHM and Armor of Faith as a decent fighter, and with the normal XP Cap of BGEE as a mediocre divine caster.

And clubs and quartersteaves are useable for backstabs.
    quarter staff is actually amazing for backstabbing since the staff of striking is the most damaging weapon in the game ( just watch out for charges because everytime it hits, it drains a charge, but once it gets down to one charge, just sell it and buy it back and voila, full charges)
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 879
    Versatile single classes:

Avenger (a druid with some mage spells + decent shape shift forms)

Blade (decent offensive combat ability + mage spells + pick pockets)

Swashbuckler (decent offensive combat ability + thief abilities)

Stalker (a ranger with backstabbing ability; will get semi-useful spells eventually)
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

playthrough of what? bg:ee? bg1? bg2?

if bg:ee than definitly fighter/cleric or ranger/cleric for druid spells opness

bg1 fighter fighter/cleric

bg2 all fighters rangers paladins
    fighter/cleric or ranger/cleric for druid spells opness
    fighter/mage/thief
    fighter/mage/cleric
    fighter/druid
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    Mage/thief is pretty fun. DI eliminates the need to memorize divination spells, open lock/disarm traps gives gobs of xp and you never need to memorize knock. Stealth is superior in most cases to basic invisibility and backstab gives you a brutal option vs most enemy mages (Stealth is protected by Cloak of Non-detection, invisibility spells are not) Traps are nice for back-up vs magic resistant/immune enemies you'd rather not risk/is immune to backstabbing (or backstabbing and then luring the wounded enemy into a trap to finish it off).

And in a pinch, you can throw on dual-speed weapons (or use Black blade of Disaster), IH, and pop tenser's and tear into an enemy if all of the above don't work.
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    @sarevok57 I tried the fighter/cleric before, a strong build, but gameplay feels a bit like playing a fighter with some buffs... Blade maybe a good option. Always thought bards to be too weak end useless, but seems many people like blades :)

@Kaltzor Cleric/Thief could be definitly be worth a try... Always thought of this as the oddest combination, but who knows :)

@zur321 BG:EE (thought it was obvious, since it is a BG:EE forum), possible continue through BG2:EE. Aren't the triple class a bit annoying to play? I tried out fighter/mage/theif, but the leveling up time took forever, leaving him weak for a long time. Never got very far into the game with this one.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    The first time I won BG was as solo FMT. It was suuuuuper easy. Mage utility, theif backstab and stealth, and fighters raw power.

But I suppose ti does level up slowly, but still, very versatile
    Cactus said:

@sarevok57 I tried the fighter/cleric before, a strong build, but gameplay feels a bit like playing a fighter with some buffs... Blade maybe a good option. Always thought bards to be too weak end useless, but seems many people like blades :)

@Kaltzor Cleric/Thief could be definitly be worth a try... Always thought of this as the oddest combination, but who knows :)

@zur321 BG:EE (thought it was obvious, since it is a BG:EE forum), possible continue through BG2:EE. Aren't the triple class a bit annoying to play? I tried out fighter/mage/theif, but the leveling up time took forever, leaving him weak for a long time. Never got very far into the game with this one.

i would not recommend f/m/t f/m/c in bg1 levels but for bg2 he is great

also you don't like dualing probably for the same reason that i don't like dualing because it takes half of the game to play as fighter and other half as gimped fighter with cleric spells but
    berserker2/cleric is great for this (in bg1)
    he levels very fast so downtime of berserker is really low
    has +0,5 apr
    can go for ***** weapon proficiency
    very good rage
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Half-Orc Fighter/Clerics are pretty versatile.

19/18/19/x/18/x stats bring the beats, and eventually become 23/19/21/x/22/x+1 by the end of the game
    Sanctuary = Level 1 Invisibility
    Find Traps
    Prot. from Elements
    Healing
    Ressurection
    HLA's
    No Armour Restrictions
    etc.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Fighter/Mage/Thief or Bard would be the top of my list. Cleric/Mage comes up right behind them. I would say probably Fighter/Cleric or Cavalier follows after that (Dwarf especially for the first) and maybe Cleric/Thief or Mage/Thief.

That said I think there is a huge gap between the FMT, Bard, CM trio and then the rest of the list.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Tyranus

My problem with the Half-Orc compared to the dwarf is that by end game, (Which you are referring to with your end game stats), you can easily achieve 25 str, 25 dex, 25 con just by casting draw upon holy might on yourself (which is one of the best cleric buff spells period and one of the best level 2 spells anyway). On top of that you get the dwarven bonus saving throws which half-orcs don't get.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    Actually the Dwarf is just all around superior to a half-orc. They only have a narrow band, right at the very beginning where having 19 str at creation is helpful. Once the Dwarf F/C hits level 3 cleric, they can also have 19 str under DUHM (you can wear the dex gloves to offset the slight AC penalty until you get the dex manual) (though if you roll until you get 18/00 the difference is only 1 point of damage and 100 carry wieght...so essenitally, all half-orcs get is being much easier to roll fighter stats for (not having to get lucky on you Ex roll AND get good stats), or slightly better as a thief if all you want to do is backstab (though they're inferior once any other demi-human race gets 19+ str, due to having no innate thief skill bonuses, while the shorties get 40 points and massive saves, half-elves get 30 (slight charm resistance), and Elves get 15 (stronger charm resistance))).

Not to mention, due to shorty saves, innate dwarf bonus and fighter/Cleric save progressions, you're practically immune to all spells with saving throws by 161,000 xp. And once you add things like rings of protection or other save boosters to counter spells with innate save penalties, you barely need to memorize any form of protection for yourself, except vs stuff that doesn't allow saves.

(the only save they don't get a lot of is vs petrification/polymorph. In BG2, NO ONE uses any spells with those saves. Flesh to stone is vs spells. And no one uses an attack with a save vs polymorph (technically some Jellies are supposed to, but it uses save vs breath instead). And the gaze spells in BG1 are easily protected against).
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Just tried Gnome cleric/thief... Looks promising, but the interface? Just killing me, that I just can't quick access thieving skills by pressing F5... :/
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Bard is #1 for versatility. Wands, access to every weapon type, scrolls, spellcasting, quick level progression, and to top it off they have useful kits.

Cleric/thief is strong, but lacks defensive strength outside of stealth until higher levels when you gain access to stronger buffs and armor.
    edited July 2013
    I'm guessing they didn't originally think too many people would use a cleric/thief, outside of possibly Tiax, so they didn't plan the UI all the way through...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    An elven ranger is one of the most versatile characters in the game IMO. You can be both a stealthy, lightly-armored marksman and a heavily-armored, dual-wielding tank. As a ranger, you start off with 2 prof points already in dual-wield, and as an elf you get extra bonuses to bows and long or short swords, the latter of which further offsets any penalty for dual-wielding (assuming your character specializes in swords). There are other bonuses too - ranger's racial enemy, elf's sleep and charm resistance, etc. And somewhere around level 8, you also get access to druid spells.
    Actually, with 3 points in Two Weapon Style, there is a -2 penalty for the off-hand so with the elf bonus that still has a -1 penalty...
    half-orcs can also be cleric/thieves, talk about the two wackiest races that can only be ( since gnomes get a penalty to wisdom)
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    The key to any solo run is:

18 CON + Buckley's Bucker + Manual of Bodily Health = 20 CON, REGENERATION

No need for the cleric class, take a Sorcerer

An elven ranger is one of the most versatile characters in the game IMO. You can be both a stealthy, lightly-armored marksman and a heavily-armored, dual-wielding tank. As a ranger, you start off with 2 prof points already in dual-wield, and as an elf you get extra bonuses to bows and long or short swords, the latter of which further offsets any penalty for dual-wielding (assuming your character specializes in swords). There are other bonuses too - ranger's racial enemy, elf's sleep and charm resistance, etc. And somewhere around level 8, you also get access to druid spells.

for bg:ee he is just a gimped fighter
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 879
    Lateralus said:

But sorcerers cannot equip bucklers!
    edited July 2013
    a half-orc or dwarf has 19 con, so you could hit it up to 21 and get an extra hp per level if you are a fighter class

plus today is the first day that I actually saw buckley's buckler, quite the co-incidence
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    Maybe I'm not understanding what you guys mean by versatile, but to me sorcerer is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word. So much flexibility for any situation, whether in combat or out. Staff Spear + mirror images and similar protections can even have you a decent melee in desperate moments.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    A PC with incredibly high specs is generally versatile enough to do anything, though the cost is extremely high.
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    @Dragonspear Excellent points. I should have addendumed, the only sorc I've ever played with in BG was Baeloth (recently, obviously) and he has an unfair/impossible amount of spells. I suppose playing within the rules like a PC has to perhaps sorc isn't the most versatile, but playing with him in party it sure feels that way.

Although I like the bard, they always seem to fall into the "master of none" category pretty heavily in my games and I just end up wishing I hadn't brought them; that's obviously just my feelings, though, and as you point out they do bring a startling amount of utility.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

Lateralus said:

But sorcerers cannot equip bucklers!
    Oh well, the 2clw bhaaler powera should be enough. Sorcerers have the most versatility but spell selection is