Skip to content

Ignore feature

2»

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2013
    I'm amazed how close-minded some people are about this idea. Why does it matter so much to you if there is a person or two who I simply don't want to listen to? That's a genuine question, by the way.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Well, two things.

First, I don't know if this is even possible with Vanilla's framework. We only just recently got in-thread search, so I wouldn't hold my breath about something like this.

Second, as was stated earlier it opens up a lot of potential for abuse. Even our Spam/Abuse flagging system gets abused occasionally, not by everyone but it does happen. I would be very hesitant to add another tool for people to antagonize each other.

What might be nice is a "collapse" button on each post, so that you could actively hide posts you don't want to read. Then you could just collapse any post you see by a specific user and never have to read them (unless you want to). It would also be good for collapsing extremely long posts (you could, for example, collapse each post in a thread as you read it so that you can keep better track of where you're at if you need to leave and come back later). Again, though, I don't know if that's possible with Vanilla.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Dee said:

Second, as was stated earlier it opens up a lot of potential for abuse. Even our Spam/Abuse flagging system gets abused occasionally, not by everyone but it does happen. I would be very hesitant to add another tool for people to antagonize each other.

@Dee That ties in to something I have been wondering for a while... Why does Trent have 15 spams?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2013
    Dee said:

Those stupid buttons have more potential for abuse than an ignore feature. If you're going to have those awful things, you may as well have this.
    Is that bad logic? Yeah, it kind of is. If people are deeming my ignore feature to be too risky, when those buttons are even worse ... can my next thread be "remove buttons that serve the sole purpose of people pissing each other off" ?
    Dee said:

What might be nice is a "collapse" button on each post, so that you could actively hide posts you don't want to read. Then you could just collapse any post you see by a specific user and never have to read them (unless you want to). It would also be good for collapsing extremely long posts (you could, for example, collapse each post in a thread as you read it so that you can keep better track of where you're at if you need to leave and come back later). Again, though, I don't know if that's possible with Vanilla.

Not a bad idea.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.