Skip to content

New savegames duplicate savegame loaded when starting game

KarnaxKarnax Member Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in Not An Issue
I haven't played in a few months but decided to pick it back up today and finish my playthrough. I loaded my save on the outskirts of Baldurs Gate and travelled to Firewine Bridge, killed some NPCs and talked to the bard there. I then went into the dungeon and quicksaved and saved in the menu.

Upon dying I reloaded my save and found myself in the same spot as I started, outside Baldurs Gate. No extra XP accumulated, it's just seems like a duplicate of the save I started from. However, upon travelling back to Firewine Bridge I find that the map shows that I have explored that area in the pattern I did when I travelled there before saving. I can't find anything on the net regarding this issue... I don't suppose anybody has any ideas?
Post edited by Aedan on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    So it only partially overwrote the old save. When you saved the game it must have gotten corrupted somehow or some other error happened during the save. It probably won't happen again, but if it does it will have to be looked into.
  • KarnaxKarnax Member Posts: 6
    Well here's the thing.... since I posted earlier I've checked this with other saves and this issue affects any save I start from. It doesn't happen however, if I start a new game and save and then reload that save. So I'm guessing something happened in the last update or update before that. Unfortunately I did update the game twice before I actually played it again and found this issue.
    Sounds similar to this bug: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18292/saved-games-always-have-the-same-date-day-147-hour-28-and-always-start-in-the-same-place

Unfortunately, as you can see, that bug was never really resolved so I'm not sure how to fix the problem.
    @WebShaman Did you ever figure out a solution to that bug? I Would be interested in hearing about it if you did.
    Yep well that confirms it then :( This and WebShaman's bug are one and the same I think. Just for curiosity's sake I tried deleting all saves in the folder while the game is running and also kicked my entire party before saving too, but they returned upon reloading.

I'm completely stumped. Tomorrow I'm gonna wipe and re-install as a last attempt to get it working. The issue could have come from that last patch, as WebShaman from what I can tell, put the game down for a few days around the time that update rolled out.
    I know this is a very frustrating time for everyone at Beamdog so I really do understand if this can't be answered etc atm. But if possible could anybody comment on whether this is a recognised issue or if it is likely to be addressed in the next patch when it is eventually cleared for release?

No worries if not and I do hope things are going well for you guys in the talks currently.
    edited July 2013
    I don't think it is recognized or reported in our bug tracker. It is almost impossible to fix a bug like this that the devs can't get to happen for themselves. Since the bug is likely restricted to your system, unless you want to send them your computer, I wouldn't hold much hope for this one. Who knows though? They are good at their job and they may know what is going on. I'll report it and maybe they can do something eventually.

By the way did you manage to get things working again?
    Good news actually :) I feel I should have cottoned on to this sooner, but it appears the save folder had become read only. Re-enabling write access immediately solved the problem. I can't even guess how this came about but good news in the fact it was easily fixed. Like you say, this could be an issue solely at my end or maybe not but hopefully if it happens to anyone else they'll see this.