Skip to content

Cursed ring: discipliner

Morte50Morte50 Member Posts: 161
edited August 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Not sure whether this is a bug or intended behaviour, so I thought I'd post it:
I just gave Garrick the Discipliner ring to wear, which sets the wearer's wisdom and intelligence to 3. For some reason however, I subsequently couldn't control him anymore either. I couldn't select him anymore, and his inventory screen was blacked out, same as when a character gets held, unconscious, etc.

As noted I'm not sure whether this behaviour is intended, though it seems rather harsh if it is. Without access to a Remove Curse spell/scroll you'd be stuck, though I suppose you could boot him and come back with a scroll later (not sure if/where you can buy them, though). At any rate, it seems to be a property of the ring itself: I Shadowkeepered everyone to INT and WIS of 3, but they were all still controlable. Putting on the ring still had the same effect.

Edit: it's not just Garrick by the way, works on any character including CHARNAME.

Comments

• GyldengladGyldenglad Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2013
    To clarify your question, from the description you also become feebleminded:

Infects the wearer with feeblemind. Cursed.
    Set wisdom&intelligence back to 3.

So your character is confused, so what can you do, well.. It's the same thing if one of your members get petrified. Luckily you can get either a mage (level 4 spell) or a cleric/druid (level 3 spell) to cast remove curse, or fetch a scroll.
  • Morte50Morte50 Member Posts: 161

To clarify your question, from the description you also become feebleminded:

Infects the wearer with feeblemind. Cursed.
    Set wisdom&intelligence back to 3.

So your character is confused, so what can you do, well.. It's the same thing if one of your members get petrified. Luckily you can get either a mage (level 4 spell) or a cleric/druid (level 3 spell) to cast remove curse, or fetch a scroll.

The description actually doesn't say anything about Feeblemind, see attached image. I would also expect, though haven't tried it, that you can't leave the area as long as the enfeebled character is still in your party (so not at all if it happens to be CHARNAME). Remove Curse scrolls are also not nearly as easy to obtain as Stone to Flesh scrolls, so realistically the only way would be a level 5+ Cleric (Druids don't get Remove Curse).

Obviously, it's not something that's liable to come up much in practice, I imagine most people aren't going to be equipping unidentified rings very often. But still, fairly harsh penalty if you do, especially since it'd still be unclear why this happened once you'd identified the ring.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    The feeblemind effect is certainly intentional. I will request that the string is updated to reflect this.