There is a lot of redundancy within NPCs in BG1 and BG2. Think Imoen/Alora [BG1], Faldorn/Jaheira [BG1], Nalia/Imoen [BG2] and the trinity of Keldorn/Anomen/Mazzy [BG2]. Unfortunately, one of the NPCs is often far superior (how many times have you taken Alora over Imoen?) and thus the other sits in their predetermined spawning point and is never utilized.
Similarly, the generic classes of BG1 (and even some of the NPC classes in BG2) leave little to talk about in the story-telling department. Imoen learns her thief skills by adventuring and skulking around Candlekeep, whereas Alora learned hers through a life of burglary in Baldur's Gate. Despite the difference in their lives and talents, the two characters share an identical, generic kit.
I was inspired by Gibberlings 3's NPC Kitpack (http://gibberlings3.net/npckit/)
which gave some of the characters a much needed kit upgrade that incorporated their background and gave them unique abilities.
My goal with this mod is to do something similar to G3's mod, but expand it so that most (if not all) of the NPCs in the games receive kits that are both more appropriate to their background and make them more interesting to bring along. In doing so, I hope to encourage the use of some of the oft forgotten characters.
Here's a brief list of the classes I've sketched out the characters.
* Ajantis - Squire of the Radiant Heart
* Alora - Burglar
* Branwen - Battleguard of Tempus
* Coran - Scout
* Dorn - Blackguard
* Dynaheir - Hathran
* Edwin - Red Wizard [Conjurer]
* Eldoth - Charlatan
* Faldorn - Shadow Druid
* Garrick - Thespian
* Imoen - Adventurer
* Jaheira - Harper Avenger
* Kagain - Mercenary or Battlerager
* Khalid - Bladesinger
* Kivan - Seeker
* Minsc - Rashemi Barbarian
* Montaron - Assassin
* Neera - Wild Mage [or Wild Sorcerer]
* Quayle - Cloaked Beguiler
* Rasaad - Sun Soul Monk
* Safana - Swashbuckler
* Shar-Teel - Harrier
* Skie - Acrobat
* Tiax - Zealous Seeker of Cyric
* Viconia - Nightcloak of Shar
* Xan - Duskblade or Eldritch Knight
* Xzar - Blood Mage
* Yeslick - Alaghor of Clangeddin Silverbeard
Inspiration from these classes are drawn from a variety of sources, including
* G3's Song & Silence
* G3's NPC Kitpack
* The Faiths of Faerun mod
* G3's Divine Remix
* Various 3E sourcebooks (including Player's Handbook 2, Complete Arcana, Complete Divine and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)
* Various Pathfinder class archetypes
Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?