Skip to content

PC game $19,99, IOS $9,99. Do they think PC players are stupid?

FulanoFulano Member Posts: 2
IGN just announced that's what the game will cost. Twice the price for the very same game? Just because it's on a different platform? Why? Because PC players are "used to paying more for games"? Talk about respecting your fans.

I was going to buy this game at launch if only to show my support and maybe contribute to an eventual BG3. Now I won't. Since Beamdog clearly has no respect for me, I have no reason to support them either.

Comments

• paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I had a similar issue, but if you read through the threads you'll see that PC automatically comes with all three new NPCs, new voices for the main character, and new portraits, whereas the iPad and Android users will have to pay extra for them.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    Did you take the time to properly read the information? The iPad version doesn't come with all the same content, some is accessed through in-app purchases.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    @Fulano , allow me ok???

SagaN said:

Why is the game twice the price to PC users ? I still have the original, paid for it then, now must pay twice what other platforms are going to pay ?

The PC and Mac versions contain all of the new content. iPad and Android have some of the content as in-app purchases. If you buy all of the DLC on iPad or Android, the end price matches that of the PC version.
    Please try to read all the information before you fire in every direction next time.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited July 2012
    Oster on Twitter :
    Dorn, Neera, The Black Pits and Rassad all come with the PC and Mac versions. Tablet version doesn't have Dorn or Neera, but costs less ..

Stupid is stupid does.....
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Why don't you read from the official website instead.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    Yikes, forum moves fast!
  • LozLoz Member Posts: 19
    I have to agree that it is pretty poor that they are charging twice the price for the PC game. If they are not including two extra NPCs in the ipad version then provide a PC version for that price without the extra NPCs. I (and I'm sure others) am not all that concerned about new NPCs anyway. I am concerned about the fact that money is tight, hence why I don't have an ipad in the first place.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I'll be buying the Mac OSX version and the iPad version, as that is what I have. I have already purchased BG three times since the beginning, another $30 is nothing. ;)
  • JensLynJensLyn Member Posts: 4
    I think $20 is a bargain but if you want im sure you can find an android to windows-desktop emulator and run android apps on your desktop.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Allready ordered 2 copies:)
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68

I'd pay $20 just to help increase the chances of getting a BG3.

That's what they're counting on.

• technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    That's illogical. PC can already get the entire series for much less, and free mods do everything and more as far as improvements go. That's been the primary sticking point for the purpose of this "version" since the beginning. Quite frankly, I've already got a cleaned up and enhanced BG.

Sincerely,
    PC Master Race
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    Incorrect. Modders are limited in ways that people with access to the original source code are not. Well at least until GemRB has fully matured, anyway. Not to mention that, if handled correctly, a cleaned up Infinity Engine will allow for greater modding possibilities, since IE modding has more or less evolved from hacking a game that was never intended to be modded originally. So I'll see your "already cleaned up and enhanced" with "that, but more so."
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

and free mods do everything and more as far as improvements go.

That's really not true.

While it is true that there is a lot of great free mod content out there for BG, there are thing that mods simply can't do yet. Just look around and you'll see modders requesting that hardcoded stuff be softcodded to allow modding access. That alone should already tell you that free mods don't do "everything and more".
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    @ScarsUnseen I think you have the absolute right of it. If a game comes out at a premium price on a format where people are used to paying less, you've pretty much shot yourself in the foot. At a reasonable price on Appstore, people will just casually buy it and try it out. At $20 they only need a handful of people at a lesser price to have more money in the bank.

The nature of the Appstore is such that it is so easy to buy, and just try stuff out. When BG goes live, it will hit the top of the charts, lots of casual users will see it and will buy it if the price is reasonable. A lot of people would look at a $20 price tag, think "next" and move onto the next new release and buy that instead. We really do need as MANY people to check this out, and I think the iPad and Android platform is going to be where the game sells best.

I wonder if the OP would be happy if they costed it, and worked out via projected profits that it simply wasn't going to be lucrative to even bother with a PC version, if it sold at $10, and just decided "you know what lets forget the PC version". At least this way you have the choice, and ultimately there is nothing to stop you picking up an iPad or Android Tablet, and pay the cheaper price!!
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    OP must really love Baldur's Gate to react like this... "I was going to buy the game, but you looked at me funny, so now I won't".
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60

That's illogical. PC can already get the entire series for much less, and free mods do everything and more as far as improvements go. That's been the primary sticking point for the purpose of this "version" since the beginning. Quite frankly, I've already got a cleaned up and enhanced BG.

Sincerely,
    PC Master Race

I think you may be underestimating the work Overhaul is putting into this enhanced version. Sure, I can stroll over to GOG and get the whole series for less than 20 bucks, but what work has GOG done to fix the coding of the game? They have just made the game playable on windows 7 but according to Trent Oster's twitter there is a lot of outdated junk in the code slowing the game down and holding back modding potential.

Sure, mods are great and can do many things, but I have never been able to play my game at true 1080p resolution (widescreen mod never worked to my liking) or get the multi-player to work without some sort of client. And importing BG2s interface into BG1 causes it's own set of problems from time to time. In my opinion BG needed this enhancement to keep relevant with ever-changing hardware. 20 bucks is a relatively small price to pay for such a classic.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    its just f-ing 20 bucks.. deal with it, its not gona break your budget im sure.
    if you dont like it you can wait for a review. and then decide if the hard working people at overhaul decerve a littel extra for their effords.
    dont be such a ...
  • Rob_SRob_S Member Posts: 4

PC and Mac players get all of the new content included in the price. On iPad and Android, some of that content is held back as in-app purchases. If you purchase all of the available extra content on iPad or Android, the price adds up to the same as the PC version.

That's not the real reason though. The content was split off into DLC because iPad folk wont pay $20 for a game. Why not make it $10 for PC as well and do the same with the DLC as iPad users are getting?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    One of the real reasons to buy the new version is the enhanced support for mods. There's been a bit of stagnation of BG modding from what I can see but removing a lot of limitations and putting the game back in the public eye could kickstart it again. Worth noting: modders are more likely to code for the EE if it's easier to do so, and such mods are not likely to be backwards-compatible with non-EE with its hardcoded nastiness.
    @AndreaColombo 100% Agreed. Lower pricepoint + optional DLC is a good strategy to get the game on mobile platforms at a price that will sell. Not so much for the entire release. DLC on the release of a classic is a good way to get the PC crowd angry.
  • ZenForAllZenForAll Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys I agree , it a bargain, What is $20, for hours of pleasure, You go in a pub and drink a couple of beers.
    If the control is OK, I looking forward. Hectic, Action Games like Dragon Age II sucks. Here you have to think how you
    develop your Hero's. Die Langsamkeit des Seins . That means, To do slowly with your being. Does't make sense in English. :)
  • WestiinWestiin Member Posts: 2
    Here's the thing that bugs me about this... Maybe I don't want the DLC in my PC game. Instead of forcing it down the throats of PC players maybe they should also offer the game at $9.99 and let us buy the DLC alacarte as DLC is supposed to be sold.

Let's be realistic here, we know the reason, it's simple greed. Sell it as one complete package for $20.00 and they WILL make $10.00 on every PC sale of the game, put it back where it belongs as alacarte DLC and they chance the possibility that they won't make that extra $10.00 on every PC version they sell.

Oh well, I'm in no hurry to buy it. Hell I still haven't even seen a screen shot of the new (enhanced) UI, and until I do, I'm not rushing over to their site to buy it. Seems a bit strange to me that screen shots of the new UI is not *readily* available (I've searched for it but couldn't readily find any) someplace on their web site.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    Westiin said:

Here's the thing that bugs me about this... Maybe I don't want the DLC in my PC game. Instead of forcing it down the throats of PC players maybe they should also offer the game at $9.99 and let us buy the DLC alacarte as DLC is supposed to be sold.

Let's be realistic here, we know the reason, it's simple greed. Sell it as one complete package for $20.00 and they WILL make $10.00 on every PC sale of the game, put it back where it belongs as alacarte DLC and they chance the possibility that they won't make that extra $10.00 on every PC version they sell.

Oh well, I'm in no hurry to buy it. Hell I still haven't even seen a screen shot of the new (enhanced) UI, and until I do, I'm not rushing over to their site to buy it. Seems a bit strange to me that screen shots of the new UI is not *readily* available (I've searched for it but couldn't readily find any) someplace on their web site.

I dont like the word "Greed" , they made a product, worked hard for it - they want to profit from it. as simple as that. and its still not a 60$ that you pay for other games nowdays.

And for the UI - they still working on it, its not completed yet, also they didn't implement yet the1pp project into the game so it doesn't appear in the screenshots.
    edited July 2012
    @Westiin Content included with the game is not DLC. It(as far as I can tell) was never intended to be such. The only reason(speculation) that it is being used as DLC for the mobile version is because you can't take an identical game and put it on one platform for half the price of the other and not expect complaints. So they cut out the only content that can be removed without a massive outcry(the new stuff) so that they can look at the PC/Mac crowd and say "see? You are getting more for that extra $10."

Honestly, for the whines-about-every-little-thing bunch, there was no winning this. Price them both a $20, no one buys the mobile version. Price them both at $10, maybe you don't make back enough to justify BG2EE. Price them differently, but keep content identical, you'll get whining because the mobile crowd gets the same for less. Price them differently and cut content from the mobile version, both sides will whine for opposite reasons. There is no way to win with certain people.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Westiin

The iPad screenshots actually show the new UI.

I'm guessing that they're not showing the PC/Mac UI yet because they're still working on it.