Skip to content

Future Enhanced Editions Inquiry

I would like to start by saying that I am fully aware that such things probably have a limit on how much they can be discussed, that plans are likely to change and that anything can happen between now and well into the future. With that in mind, and the fact that the Overhaul team is very much busy with other priorities at the moment, I still feel a strong urge to ask:

What is the 'as of this moment' intended plans for the "Enhanced Edition" projects? From what I have dug up (beyond the speculation of fans), the current plan seems to be BG:EE, BG2:EE, and then if all goes well, BG3.

As mentioned, I know there was speculation of an IWD:EE, IWD2:EE, and perhaps Planescape Torment: EE as well. I was just looking for a little more than speculation, no matter how vague or "iffy" it might be.

It is quite clear to me that the most likely response is that the odds of these other games becoming Enhanced is somewhere between "definitely possible" and "possibly definitely", but please bare with me and my insatiable curiosity :)

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited August 2013
    BG:EE and BG2:EE plans already confirmed.
    Additional content for both games seems likely.

Devs have stated that they would like to do a bg3 if the enhanced editions are successful, but I don't think they currently have anything concrete in place.

As for what's next, when the legal problems were happening, the devs were working on an as yet unspecified title, which we can assume is
    1. In no way connected to the Atari/BG license
    2. The next project which will be getting attention after bg2:ee is released.

As for planescape torment:ee, Trent made an offhand comment in a thread about a year back which was talking about how there was a rumour that the planescape torment assets / source files had been lost.
    The comment was something on the lines that he had a copy of the original torment source files on his machine, and that nothing was missing.
    Whether that means that planescape:ee is on the horizon is debatable, but hey, you did ask for vague or iffy information :P
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Right now Beamdog/Overhaul games doesn't have any sort of contract for IWD, and so we can't currently even speculate too much, but hopefully if BGEE/BG2EE does well, they will be able to strike up a new contract, and bring us other EE projects....
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    As has been said, all we can know for sure is that we're getting a BG2:EE. I hope we get IWD:EE and IWD2:EE, though!
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    You keep that tongue where it is Cam ;)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    BG3's plot is based on the Wizards Egg as layed by Melicamp from BG.

The egg is poached by evil Thayvians who, if they can crack the secret of the wizards egg, will be able to travel through space-time... CHARNAME and his band of heroes scramble to the rescue.

There chase takes them to the heart of a volcano. There they meet an army of soldiers sent by the Waterdhavian Kelben Blackstaff, who is eager to prevent disaster... Unfortunately they are boiled alive as they are dipped in runny lava, as the Thayvians crack the egg, causing the volcano to erupt.

To avoid being fried, CHARNAME, follows the Thayvians into the past. In response they try to eradicate CHARNAME by preventing Bhaal from meeting CHARNAMEs mother...

But what came first. The Chicken or the egg?

It's no yolk!

Dee said:

After BG2:EE, all of our resources will be put into Pong:EE.

But the original art assets have been lost, so now you won't be able to make an HD remake which would make the square ball round
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    ajwz said:

As for planescape torment:ee, Trent made an offhand comment in a thread about a year back which was talking about how there was a rumour that the planescape torment assets / source files had been lost.

Rather odd that they chose to start with BGEE than, since BG art assets have all been lost. And Torment is a much better game.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    edited August 2013
    A little bit of a derailment but I do appreciate the replies none-the-less! I will continue to pester the Devs after BG3 (if it happens) then for IWD1 and IWD2 EE :)

They have made a loyal fan out of me, to say the least, I wish more companies would attempt to 'remaster' games I loved when I was much younger. With the games that the big companies keep churning out these days, it might soon be a trend that gains a bit more traction. I hope it does.

Edit: Alternatively, if BG3 comes with some substantial modding support built right in, one could always 'make' an IWD/IWD2 EE mod on that engine :)
    taltamir said:

ajwz said:

Rather odd that they chose to start with BGEE than, since BG art assets have all been lost. And Torment is a much better game.
    A much better g̶a̶m̶e̶ story
    Fixed that for you
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Dee said:

Unfortunately, due to incompatibility with Intel chipsets in the game's renderer, we have to leave it as a two-dimensional square.

Rofl! Aww man that was good.
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    ajwz said:

BG:EE and BG2:EE plans already confirmed.
    Additional content for both games seems likely.

Devs have stated that they would like to do a bg3 if the enhanced editions are successful, but I don't think they currently have anything concrete in place.

As for what's next, when the legal problems were happening, the devs were working on an as yet unspecified title, which we can assume is
    1. In no way connected to the Atari/BG license
    2. The next project which will be getting attention after bg2:ee is released.

The comment was something on the lines that he had a copy of the original torment source files on his machine, and that nothing was missing.
    Whether that means that planescape:ee is on the horizon is debatable, but hey, you did ask for vague or iffy information :P

How the hell did Bioware et al. manage to loose the original files in the first place? Did they never make a backup of the BG files?
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    @VikingR

It was made back in 1998, that's a lot of time in which they likely upgraded, and had to backup, transfer, move and any manner of other things, I'm not surpised they could be misplaced, particularly since the game wasn't in development during that time.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    CamDawg said:

I've been told by numerous PsT fans (repeatedly, unsolicited, and often) that the game is perfection itself so I don't think there's anything we could possibly enhance.

* tongue firmly in cheek

The only thing i would like would be an Android version, but we know how well you all get on with Android conversions.....

• VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    I know the topic has been silent for some time now, but I wanted to revive it with another question related to the same topic!

Seeing as how (albeit a very good while ago) Mr. Trent Oster did mention interest in these games also going Enhanced, my question is:

Should this come to pass, would there be a way to load saved/exported character files from not only BG1 to BG2, but perhaps BG1/BG2 to IWD and back again? I leave IWD2 off the list since it uses a different rule set, but I could see the benefit of allowing a player to keep using the same characters they've come to love over and over between these games, especially since all should be using the same engine (which would make this infinitely easier to do).

Just a thought! Was wondering if any of the Devs had some input :)