Skip to content

BGEE works with Wine?

Comments

• hornaphornap Member Posts: 29
    Are devs aware of this problem? I think, they are linux positive, so they maybe build another installer.
  • TannerTanner Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    Well the positive with the EE is the OpenGL port for graphic, and OpenAL port for sound, which are native techs on Linux (and all the other platforms). The main trouble is I think the legal issues, not the technical side (even if I don't underestimate the work which is needed!).
  • SmeuuhSmeuuh Member Posts: 34
    If their installer doesn't use too many dotnet3.5 features, it should be easy enough to port it to dotnet2.0, which works fine under wine.
  • hornaphornap Member Posts: 29
    Don't know, how to link post from different discussion, but:

Give us some time and you won't need wine.

-Trent

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7138/downloader-known-issues/p2

: )
    Great. Will be waiting then.
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012
    I would like to confirm that BG:EE works with wine just fine if you em... "avoid somehow" the launcher.
    I'm on msi u130 atom 1.7Ghz with intel GMA3150 graphics and I have full speed in menu and even the cinematic plays nicely. HOWEVER when I get in game I have like 1-3 fps. No idea why this happens.

EDIT:
    Fixed it by adding:
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    line into config file! The game actually works better under wine than under win7 lol
    Post edited by PhoenixDown on
    Ah, yes. Well, that will do while we're waiting for the linux version. I do have problems with "special" keyboard keys - I'm on a french azerty keyboard, and 1 2 3 etc as well as "m" are not behaving as they should.
  • soulafein83soulafein83 Member Posts: 28

I would like to confirm that BG:EE works with wine just fine if you em... "avoid somehow" the launcher.
    I'm on msi u130 atom 1.7Ghz with intel GMA3150 graphics and I have full speed in menu and even the cinematic plays nicely. HOWEVER when I get in game I have like 1-3 fps. No idea why this happens.

EDIT:
    Fixed it by adding:
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    line into config file! The game actually works better under wine than under win7 lol

Can you tell how to "avoid somehow" the launcher ?? I've installed Windows only for this game but game crashes :(
    My primary system is Xubuntu.
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    playing on wine, runs coool :)
    azurit said:

But how to play ?? Installer doesn't work ...
    edited November 2012

azurit said:

Installer of course will not work because it uses netframework which wine barely supports.
    Install on windows. Copy the BG folder to a pendrive. Copy BG folder to your linux hard drive. Launch the BG after applying 'the fix'* via Baldur.exe.

*(it's not a legal way so I will not discuss it here... btw it's sad we have to use illegal ways to get legal copy to work. I hope they will remove unnecessary DRM asap. The launcher is just obnoxious.)

EDIT: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/zrzutekranuz20121129184.png/ :)
    Post edited by PhoenixDown on

azurit said:

Installer of course will not work because it uses netframework which wine barely supports.
    Install on windows. Copy the BG folder to a pendrive. Copy BG folder to your linux hard drive. Launch the BG after applying 'the fix'* via Baldur.exe.

*(it's not a legal way so I will not discuss it here... btw it's sad we have to use illegal ways to get legal copy to work. I hope they will remove unnecessary DRM asap. The launcher is just obnoxious.)

EDIT: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/zrzutekranuz20121129184.png/ :)
    You are my personal HERO !! It works, finally !!! Without problems. All I want to say to Overhaul - I paid them money for non-working game. I use a crack and the game run flawlessly so YOU can KISS MY ............. BOTTOM (***)
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    Just to add that the game also works inside a Virtualbox instance.
    I prefer it to WINE when it works because you also get any updates through the launcher.
    PhoenixDown
    neur0 said:

I prefer it to WINE when it works because you also get any updates through the launcher.

Oh? How's that working out for you? Ain't too slow? What specs are you running? I doubt my netbook will be sufficient.
    I have horrible gaming experience with virtualbox on my desktop. Slow.
  • FelixKahFelixKah Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone tried 'Mono'? It's an open source program that emulates the .NET framework. I'm installing it right now.

http://mono-project.com/Main_Page
  • elfuegoelfuego Member Posts: 28
    Nathan said:

@BollywoodHero one of our lead programmers runs the game pretty exclusively in VirtualBox without issue.

Now this sounds promising. Can you please share the virtual boxs' virtual machine settings? Maybe I will be able to run the game in virtual box too, since the game does not work normally.
    I'll be damned. The game works almost perfectly on Ubuntu! Same laptop, same everything, just.... the game seems to prefer Wine rather then native Windows 7 :D Devs, why didnt you say so at start! I would have had the whole weekend to enjoy it :)

It locks up in black pits though after 'qualifications' right after the boss says "give them some coin". Any ideas how to go past that point?
    ... and scratch that last part; no idea why it got bugged last time, but now it worked. The game works very nicely. Shame about Windows though but who cares? :)
    Only problem is without the launcher we can't get the latest updates. Or are there alternative ways to get the patches like regular DL?
    FelixKah said:

Has anyone tried 'Mono'? It's an open source program that emulates the .NET framework. I'm installing it right now.

http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

Doesn't work. Don't even bother ;)
    FelixKah said:

Only problem is without the launcher we can't get the latest updates. Or are there alternative ways to get the patches like regular DL?

The only thing I can think of is getting patches on windows and copying the data to linux after that, however dunno if "fix" will still work with the new *.exe.
    Overhaul please remove launcher requirement! This silly, easily broken DRM is not worth the price.
    darkkhaine
  • LuukLuuk Member Posts: 1
    I got a crash report on my ASUS G73 (the Ati version of the laptop). I tried many things in Windows 7. I did get it to run without video card drivers. However that made it run so slow it wasn't playable.
    So then I booted Ubuntu 12.10 live CD, installed wine from there and then I could play immediately. Worked like a charm.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83

neur0 said:

Oh? How's that working out for you? Ain't too slow? What specs are you running? I doubt my netbook will be sufficient.
    I have horrible gaming experience with virtualbox on my desktop. Slow.
    I have a decent Linux host computer (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 4GB RAM) but it might run well on much less than that. Just remember to go to the display settings of the VM instance and turn on 2D and 3D acceleration and allow 128MB video memory (if your video adapter allows it).
    Everything works fine except for occasional sound microstutters.
    I have WinXP-32bit installed as a guest OS and while WinXP may be a better solution for older PCs, it is possible that the sound issues (not game-breaking) I am having don't exist when using Win7 etc. because there are no drivers for WinXP that support "Intel HD audio" in a VBox so I'm stuck with using "IHC AC97"

If anyone is playing BG:EE inside a Win7 VBox instance, please comment on the sound driver you are using and if you have issues.
    PhoenixDown
    edited December 2012
    But I guess the same Intel related problems apply with Virtualbox? My laptop has Intel HD graphics so I'm kinda bound to wine... for now.

... I just realized you could update the game in Virtualbox and then start the .exe via wine! Have to try it out.
    PhoenixDown
    edited December 2012
    FelixKah said:

But I guess the same Intel related problems apply with Virtualbox? My laptop has Intel HD graphics so I'm kinda bound to wine... for now.

... I just realized you could update the game in Virtualbox and then start the .exe via wine! Have to try it out.

I played for few hours yesterday on wine and I didn't have any problems so even if you are bound to it it shouldn't give you much headache.

Updating the game in virtualbox - brilliant! :)
    Well if it comes to my Intel hardware, running it on wine is indeed a pleasure. :) I still have some nasty bugs though like flickering UI in fullscreen and reseting maps (happened once in Beregost and the area south of Beregost)
    BG EE works in Wine without crack!!! After instalation in Windows and copying into linux partition ;)

BG EE works in Wine without crack!!! After instalation in Windows and copying into linux partition ;)

Did that and game still forced a launcher start/sign in.
    What I do now is updating the game in Virtualbox, then copy the updatet game data in another linux only folder (somehow the launcher crashes in a shared folder) and start baldur.exe via Wine. This way works very well for me :)

Did that and game still forced a launcher start/sign in.
    I 've copied whole folder BG (not only Data) into Documents. Then I've changed folder name to BGEE. It works flawlessly. I have Xubuntu 12.10 with mesa 9.0 and WINE 1.5.18. Try update your wine and mesa driver.
    You just need to run baldur.exe in the Data folder. I didn't need a crack either.