Skip to content

In-App purchase of characters

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Finally, a use for my 64 gig iPad ;)
    .....should have enough room for BG, BG2, AND OWD ;)
    Zeltor
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    What is a DRM? My forum lingo ain't what it should be :(
    Dregostyr
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    @Renshtalis DRM, Digital Rights Management. Basically stuff making you unable to use software in certain ways. Claimed to reduce piracy.
    Dregostyr
    Oh, ok, ta dude.
    Dregostyr
    @illydth you are exactly right dude, if a product is all quality, it will sell! Obviously this bloke is more your 99 cent gamer, quantity over quality type!
    Dregostyr
  • DregostyrDregostyr Member Posts: 5
    The dudes just mad there SO won't let them get it for more hen one platform. So there taking it out on there iPad :)
  • DregostyrDregostyr Member Posts: 5
    Yay making game better! Most definitely better then a demo
  • BrastenBrasten Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    I have no problem with higher priced iOS games or large files. My issue only comes when companies split iPhone(iPod Touch) and iPad versions into two different branches and charge large amounts for both. Currently the worst offender is Square-Enix in this regard. Most of their split products are basically just up-scales of iPhone version made to fit nice the x2 mode on an iPad screen.

I hope that if an "phone" sized version of this game does get produced that Atari, Overhaul, and Beamdog doesn't try to get existing iOS customer to pay for it a second time. There is an exception, as I've said with Square-Enix games, if there was an in-App purchase option to "unlock" the bigger/smaller quality I'd settle for maybe 10-25% the cost of the original launch price.

As to extra content not being included... as long it makes up the difference in price and doesn't go over the PC/Mac version I don't see the harm. Although IMO it would be better to be full priced with all the content.

Apple should really get with some game developers (just a group of game Devs themselves) and start promoting higher quality higher cost iOS games that equal or pass GameBoy cartridges.
    Risingsun
    Any word on how much the DLC for iPad will be? Like a $2-3 each?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Space_hamster

I'm pretty sure that has been announced already:

3$ for Neera and her extra related areas.
    3$ for Dorn and the Blackguard kit
    2$ for the Jason Manley portrait pack (10 pics I believe).
    2$ for 6 (I think) soundsets.
    Ok thanks, so I'll need $10, +$3, +$2, and +$2 = $17 =)
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I thought I remember reading that the other add-ons would total $10, so both PC and iPad = $20 for all content.
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162

Ok thanks, so I'll need $10, +$3, +$2, and +$2 = $17 =)

What you don't want Dorn?
    But hes a black Guard!!!

• DragonwingDragonwing Member Posts: 11
    I'm going to buy all the in-app purchases, primarily to support the developers.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I'd rather they give a choice of an extra character, instead of forcing Rasaad to everybody.:\
    My heart is set on Neera. ;)
  • DovakhiinDovakhiin Member Posts: 113
    Dorn with black guard class
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    Dovakhiin said:

Dorn with black guard class

Dorn is pretty awesome, but do you think we'll be able to use blackguard class without buying his DLC?
  • BigityBigity Member Posts: 98
    Can you even use the blackguard class if you buy his DLC anyway? Always seemed to me it was just a custom deal for him.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I don't see any reason why not.
  • plan9auplan9au Member Posts: 6
    $10 for the game and $10 for the DLC....Bargain, ill be getting the lot starting with the new characters
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    This is by memory only, I don't have the inclination right now to read through interviews, articles, tweets, etc. but I'm quite sure that Trent have stated that the kits that are included in the pc release will also be included in the standard iPad release, you won't have to purchase the extra character DLC's to use the new kits. (Although I will).. :)
    Space_hamster
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Developers can't write apps for the 13 year olds who write reviews complaining about the prices of apps that they don't even own and therefore can't properly evaluate. It is an incredibly small percentage of buyers who actually review applications in iTunes, and the too-cheep-to-buy-anything crowd is a particularly loud and entitled bunch.

What is this research one poster talked about? Did this research include actual earnings of applications, or just a superficial browsing of reviews?
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @davemo
    I don't know to which post you're referring, but I get what you're saying, and it's a worry of mine too.
    There's an ugly mentality on the AppStore, that unless a game is 0.99$ or less, it's too expensive.

On top of that is the Freemium wave, that are very much some developers last, dying attempt at creating revenue, because of the expected cheap prices and the vast amount of competition on the AppStore now.
    Other developers is flying high and making big money using that method, some in an ugly way, a.la Smurf Berries, and others by offering new levels and characters for a price.

It's a very difficult marked to penetrate, and even more so if you're trying to do so with a set, high price as Beamdog attempts to do with this release.

BUT!
    It's not impossible if you have a strong brand and/or following, there's good examples of that with for instance the Cave Shmups and other big retro titles that have a warm place in many arcade gamers hearts. They're selling very well, and for high prices too.
    One reason is because it's quality ports or remakes, another is because not ALL iOS gamers is preteens, there's a whole lot grown ups who misses good quality, big, expansive and challenging games, of which there are very few.

Look at Spiderwebs RPG's, they're selling on the AppStore, and the audience maybe limited, but it's a growing audience.
    And while Spiderwebs games are very good, they aren't even close to be in the same legue as BG.

That's the audience Beamdog is targeting, grown up people, who might enjoy a simple endless runner for a buck, but dreams of expansive, well written, no compromise games, not difficulty scaled to the lowest denominator, In other words, games like they used to make them.

I'm one of those people, and there's several of us on TouchArcade.com forums as well as here.

I actually think Beamdog has a chance of making this game a run away success on the AppStore, and I really hope they make it.

When it sells well and hopefully gets good reviews, many younger gamers will hopefully join, compelled by the promise of what is one of the best cRPG's ever.
    davemoSpace_hamster
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    I do enjoy playing Avernum while waiting for BGEE.

Sadly, App Store reviews are often no longer a guide to potential customers. Reviews have become a form of extortion as in "lower you price or I will review you poorly". It also seems evident that some companies have review farms to promote their apps.
    Honestly $10 is on the high end for a game....but on the other hand, nothing is comparable to BG. It'll be interesting to see how it sells on the App store. I'm guessing it will do very well just on nostalgia buyers!
    davemo said:

I do enjoy playing Avernum while waiting for BGEE.

Sadly, App Store reviews are often no longer a guide to potential customers. Reviews have become a form of extortion as in "lower you price or I will review you poorly". It also seems evident that some companies have review farms to promote their apps.

Not to mention that people get paid to review these days, can't trust them.
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2012
    I usually dont buy DLC or like to spend more then 99 cents on the app store, but then most everything on the app store is crap. However I bought BG:EE already but I only plan to buy the new characters.

I can see charging 3$ for them, they have new content associated, however the asking price for a portrait pack and soundset pack seems way overpriced for what they are. Its almost like extortion since its not likely people will be able to to copy their own downloaded soundsets and portraits onto the IPad for use in the game, so your forced to pay their pricing if you want additional stuff.