Skip to content

Why can't my Fighter/Thief use thieving abilities

I started my main character as a thief, took him to level 2 with find traps as loaded up as I could, then dual-classed. I'm now fighter level 5. But I can't use any thieving skills. Can't seem to find traps or do anything. Click the buttons, but nothing happens. They don't stay active. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    you cant wear heavy armors when trying to use thief abilities ( only leather and studded leather)
  • gollumergollumer Member Posts: 8
    Even Ankheg armor? It's not leather or studded, but it's light...
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Even Ankheg armor. Armor of Shadows over at Thunder Smithy in Beregost is your best pick.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Most people prefer to have a fighter dualed to a thief, not the other way around, because backstab multipliers and thieving abilities continue to increase, and characters like that aren't on the front lines. Dualing from a thief is useful when you dual to mage, but dualing to a fighter from a thief can be frustrating, because most of your useful thief abilities are turned off by the fighter's armor; continually progressing fighters are generally expected to be used on the front lines, where their heavy armor is needed.
  • gollumergollumer Member Posts: 8
    Got it, thanks. Guess I'll try my best with this character, then do it again a bit differently.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I prefer dualing from a Thief to a Fighter, because you end up with better THAC0 that way. Thieves don't really gain much at higher levels other than if you want certain HLAs.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2013
    Idk, I think Ftr->Thf is better b/c then you can max pickpocket and retire in luxury.
    Post edited by fighter_mage_thief on
  • jhneohjhneoh Member Posts: 42
    edited October 2013
    Fighter/Thief multi is even better for BG2 and TOB. You'll have the best of both worlds:

-Maxed out thieving skills and backstab multiplier
    -2 attacks a round and max Thac0
    -Use Any Item and Greater Whirlwind HLAs.
  • LuthfordLuthford Member Posts: 1,301
    gollumer said:

I started my main character as a thief, took him to level 2 with find traps as loaded up as I could, then dual-classed. I'm now fighter level 5. But I can't use any thieving skills. Can't seem to find traps or do anything. Click the buttons, but nothing happens. They don't stay active. What am I doing wrong?

Kill Drizzt and take his mithrill chain mail +4.. it's the best armor for fighter/thief in bgee, imo!
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Luthford said:

gollumer said:

Kill Drizzt and take his mithrill chain mail +4.. it's the best armor for fighter/thief in bgee, imo!
    You can use thieving abilities in it?
  • LuthfordLuthford Member Posts: 1,301
    Wilbur said:

Luthford said:

gollumer said:

You can use thieving abilities in it?
    oh yessss XD