Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition is coming to Mac & PC on November 15th

Comments

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Just pre-ordered....looking forward to the next 9 weeks of buildup!!
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Because he's dead, so they say he's beyond reach of the Fate Spirits or something.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    Illydth said:

* BG:EE Was written in an engine that was ENTIRELY different from the engine of the original. Not to put too fine a point on it, the development staff pretty much had to re-produce all of the work that BG:TuTu did in porting BG:EE to the BG2 Engine. That's a pretty tall order and lends itself to problems. That work didn't have to be done for BG2:EE.

I'm sorry but what do you mean? It is mostly the same engine that it was when BG1 came out. Unless you mean rendering engine and not the game engine? If that's the case, then, yes, it has been change. Although with only a few benefits (e.g. zoom) and countless incompatibilities that did not exist in the original games.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    I just realized that is says you guys added 30 new locations. Wow.. That on top of an already MASSIVE game will be pretty mind blowing :D
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    hm..wondering if a single room with a sleeping dwarf also counts as a location^^
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    Linkamus said:

I just realized that is says you guys added 30 new locations. Wow.. That on top of an already MASSIVE game will be pretty mind blowing :D

are there any details about that? are the locations a part of the main storyline or something like blackpits outside of it?
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    Borsook said:

Linkamus said:

are there any details about that? are the locations a part of the main storyline or something like blackpits outside of it?
    i think its about the new npc's quests
  • PaulgPaulg Member Posts: 115
    Arctic said:

Borsook said:

Linkamus said:

i think its about the new npc's quests
    which all better be awesome!!! lol. ok well, even if its not ill still be happy...

• HootHoot Member Posts: 40

Yoshimo was probably one of my favorite characters in BG2. I kept him around through most of BG2's storyline as my party thief (because, really, he is the single best thief from among the NPCs that you can possibly have). This made the confrontation at Spellhold one of the most meaningful and poignant moments in the game.
    Now that you guys have me thinking about him again for the first time in, like, forever, I don't recall what the justification was for not being able to have him in your party again in TOB. I mean, it seems to me that if there was anyplace you could run into Yoshimo again, it'd be Hell, right?

* SPOLIERS *

Because he died under the effect of a geas, so his soul was forever lost to that plane once he was killed and his heart taken to the Temple of Ilmater.

Or something like that.

• true_shinkentrue_shinken Member Posts: 84
    Actually, you can't take Yoshimo back because his destiny thread was severed from yours. Basically, fate willed it.
  • HootHoot Member Posts: 40
    It definitely had to do with the Geas though. 100%.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2013

Actually, you can't take Yoshimo back because his destiny thread was severed from yours. Basically, fate willed it.

The like isn't for the quote, but for the avatar! Fluminense nessa porra kct!!! Daleee, dale dale Menseee!!! Com muito orgulhoooo!!!! Com muito amoooooor!!!
    Hoot said:

It definitely had to do with the Geas though. 100%.

What i always thought, is that we can cancel a geas in BG, but we never had a chance to cancel yoshimo's geas in BG2.

In the past i tried to keep the geas scroll while i completed the poison quest in Baldur's gate (killed the first thief and even get another boots of stealth and killed the second without handing off the geas scroll), then i imported my character with that geas scoll to se if i could find it somewhere in the game so i could cancel yoshimo's geas. Never got a chance for it unfortunally but the idea could render a nice mod.
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    put it all together then roll it out and lets play the best role play of all time.
    AAAHHHH! so excited, i worked 12 hrs of overtime to help pay for all the new games coming out. but im still the most excited for this one!!!!!!!! lol.
  • gholamgholam Member Posts: 12
    Will we be able to import the items you added to BG:EE?
  • CygnusCygnus Member Posts: 44
    Just curious, but will the new game "blend" with BGEE so that it plays as one giant game?
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Cygnus said:

Just curious, but will the new game "blend" with BGEE so that it plays as one giant game?

It will probably be more complete when Adventure Y is released. As it stands, it's probably just going to be like vanilla BG1 > vanilla BG2.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    rdarken said:

Cygnus said:

It will probably be more complete when Adventure Y is released. As it stands, it's probably just going to be like vanilla BG1 > vanilla BG2.
    I personally would like to see BG2: EE start out with Charname having the same party he/she ended BG: EE with. I don't think this would be that big of a deal considering the save game file/format has already changed so much from the original/vanilla games.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    @Varwulf I agree that it would be awesome, but as I recall they said contract issues would likely prevent it...
  • jamessh1jamessh1 Member Posts: 7
    I just registered after reading this announcement :)

I finished main story for BGEE. on my iPad 2 this past weekend. Despite a few control/interface/ crash issues I had an amazing time with the game, and clocked well over 60 hours grinding and doing side quests, etc.

My 2 questions:

Will the iPad 2 run BG2:EE?
    Will this hit the app store before the end of the year?
    sepotter said:

@Varwulf I agree that it would be awesome, but as I recall they said contract issues would likely prevent it...

That seems funny, I guess contracts can be far more verbose and silly than I had anticipated. I would assume if one had the license to tweak/modify/improve the game they had more or less free reign to do so.

I remember that when BG: EE was announced it was mentioned that BeamDog would try to preserve the old file/format so we could use our old characters from vanilla. I remember when it was stated that this could not be preserved as they ended up making changes to the original file/format in the end. I just assumed the only major thing that could result in such a change would be something to the affect of what was mentioned above.

With that being said, it makes me more curious about what kind of changes were made to the original file/format.
    plus if they had the rights to make those kind of changes you'd think they would be making BG3 right now, lol.
  • PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2013
    Varwulf said:

rdarken said:

Cygnus said:

I personally would like to see BG2: EE start out with Charname having the same party he/she ended BG: EE with. I don't think this would be that big of a deal considering the save game file/format has already changed so much from the original/vanilla games.
    As Dee has already said several times, it has less to do with the save file format and more to do with the fact that they would have to rewrite the entire beginning of the story. Having different characters instead of Minsc, Jaheira, and Khalid is one thing. The possibility that someone removed Imoen from their party or didn't dual-class Imoen into a mage changes the story significantly.

The presence of Imoen is key to the plot of Baldur's Gate 2, and without her being dual classed into a mage, the entire pretext for her being taken away with Irenicus once you exit the prison is removed.
    Varwulf said:

sepotter said:

That seems funny, I guess contracts can be far more verbose and silly than I had anticipated. I would assume if one had the license to tweak/modify/improve the game they had more or less free reign to do so.

I remember that when BG: EE was announced it was mentioned that BeamDog would try to preserve the old file/format so we could use our old characters from vanilla. I remember when it was stated that this could not be preserved as they ended up making changes to the original file/format in the end. I just assumed the only major thing that could result in such a change would be something to the affect of what was mentioned above.

With that being said, it makes me more curious about what kind of changes were made to the original file/format.
    When Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was announced, one of the first threads on this forum was called "List of things we can't do" (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bg-ee-please-read-list-of-things-that-can-t-be-done/p1) It explained the requirements of their contract.

2. Contractual limitations.

The contract prevents Beamdog / Overhaul to alter the original game contents heavy handedly.

This is what Trent Oster had to say about it on the official Beamdog forum:

"1. Altering the dialog of the old joinable characters

-We can't do this

2. Altering the dialog of encounterable npc's in the campaign, including minor ones

-small scale text only changes are possible.

3. Adding new encounters to the old maps

-possible

Our stance is to try and avoid too much meddling in the original content and focus our efforts on the new content."

Beamdog / Overhaul also face contractual limitations regarding the addition of new content to the existing games. They can build new content as "expansions", but they cannot add to the core content in the main title. This limitation is due to the contracts for the original source content and limit the devs from adding new conversation for existing characters to the main game. Hence, adding banters, inerjections and romances to the original cast of characters is unfortunately not feasible. They will interact with new NPCs and react to new situations and areas, but that's about it.

So there you go, they can't do it for contractual issues, and if they could, that's a massive can of worms to open, requiring the insertion of either a massive plot hole (especially if you let Imoen die in the first BG) or rewriting the plot of the entire game.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Pre-ordered :-)
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Padenton said:

Varwulf said:

rdarken said:

Cygnus said:

As Dee has already said several times, it has less to do with the save file format and more to do with the fact that they would have to rewrite the entire beginning of the story. Having different characters instead of Minsc, Jaheira, and Khalid is one thing. The possibility that someone removed Imoen from their party or didn't dual-class Imoen into a mage changes the story significantly.

The presence of Imoen is key to the plot of Baldur's Gate 2, and without her being dual classed into a mage, the entire pretext for her being taken away with Irenicus once you exit the prison is removed.
    Varwulf said:

sepotter said:

When Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was announced, one of the first threads on this forum was called "List of things we can't do" (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bg-ee-please-read-list-of-things-that-can-t-be-done/p1) It explained the requirements of their contract.

2. Contractual limitations.

The contract prevents Beamdog / Overhaul to alter the original game contents heavy handedly.

This is what Trent Oster had to say about it on the official Beamdog forum:

"1. Altering the dialog of the old joinable characters

-We can't do this

2. Altering the dialog of encounterable npc's in the campaign, including minor ones

-small scale text only changes are possible.

3. Adding new encounters to the old maps

-possible

Our stance is to try and avoid too much meddling in the original content and focus our efforts on the new content."

Beamdog / Overhaul also face contractual limitations regarding the addition of new content to the existing games. They can build new content as "expansions", but they cannot add to the core content in the main title. This limitation is due to the contracts for the original source content and limit the devs from adding new conversation for existing characters to the main game. Hence, adding banters, inerjections and romances to the original cast of characters is unfortunately not feasible. They will interact with new NPCs and react to new situations and areas, but that's about it.

So there you go, they can't do it for contractual issues, and if they could, that's a massive can of worms to open, requiring the insertion of either a massive plot hole (especially if you let Imoen die in the first BG) or rewriting the plot of the entire game.
    Interactions between vanilla NPCs and new NPCs, however, is possible (and will be a feature of BG2:EE). Basically, old content can't be altered heavy-handedly, but can be added upon as it relates to new content (as long as it doesn't affect the vanilla story, including sidequests). Expect banter, just nothing that fundamentally alters existing content.

I think I got that right...
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Purudaya Yup. :)
    I'm so glad I never went to law school.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Lol Rasaad can't seem to keep his shirt on for promo art ;P

But yaaaay pe-ordered and SUPER EXCITED cause I never actually had a chance to play BG2 before lol :*(
    Sylph said:

But yaaaay pe-ordered and SUPER EXCITED cause I never actually had a chance to play BG2 before lol :*(

well get ready to be "awesomed!" bg1 is great, its a classic. but bg2 is on every drug imaginable, and then some, to make it the supersoldier of the BG's. if you like BG:EE, BGII:EE will blow you away!.
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    Paulg said:

Sylph said:

well get ready to be "awesomed!" bg1 is great, its a classic. but bg2 is on every drug imaginable, and then some, to make it the supersoldier of the BG's. if you like BG:EE, BGII:EE will blow you away!.
    Seconded.
    BG2 is a whole new dimension upon an already neat dimension, ya know :D.
    But seriously, it is like every replay has something new in an already yberpackedly contentful RPG.

With trendy words: BG2 has the power to turn you into an "Escapist Slacker" ...for months. Just dont stop on the streets watching people crossing the road whether they are throwing their saves vs getting hit by a car.. Because that is weird... and noone does that..
This discussion has been closed.