Skip to content

Does the higher spell level, for Paladin, depend from wisdom?

Hello there! Another question about paladins :) I read in some other topic that the wisdom does not give any bonus spell to the paladin. But I was asking myself if it is necessary to have at least a X points of wisdom to casting spells of Y level. For example if I'm not wrong, in 3.5ed a paladin needs at least 10 + spell lvl to cast it (a spell of 4th level needs a paladin with 14 points of wisdom).
Thanks.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    No you don't need X points of wisdom to be able to cast any particular spell level. That said Paladins have to have a minimum 13 for wisdom regardless (for Rangers its 14).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    Nah, wisdom does nothing for paladin at all. They just have a slightly high minimum requirement for it (4 points higher then a cleric, which I find hilarious).

In 2nd edition, divine spells have no minimum wisdom requirement for spell level, but if you some how get a very low wisdom, 12 or lower, you start getting a spell failure chance (5% at 12, and 5% more for each point under 12). But that's not implemented in BG, so no worries.

Normally, they'd get a +1 bonus to saves vs certain spells for having 14 wisdom (or more if it's higher), and if it was stupidly high for some reason (20+), outright immunity to select spells depending on the exact score....but neither of those is implemented either.

The only thing that matters to a paladin is str, dex, con...but due to high minimums in wisdom and charisma, it can be hard rolling stats for them...and if you intend to take the character into BG2, you don't want to go less then 10 int at creation either.

Arcane magic is supposed to similar to that, base on int (except 9 int allows casting up to 4th level, and it goes up by 1 spell level per 2 points of int above that) but that isn't implemented either.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Nah, wisdom does nothing for paladin at all. They just have a slightly high minimum requirement for it (4 points higher then a cleric, which I find hilarious).

In 2nd edition, divine spells have no minimum wisdom requirement for spell level, but if you some how get a very low wisdom, 12 or lower, you start getting a spell failure chance (5% at 12, and 5% more for each point under 12). But that's not implemented in BG, so no worries.

But Mulahey has an 11 Wisdom, and he messes up all the time, even when I miss him for several rounds in a row! Or is that just because he's a colossal, smelly idiot. :x
  • ConanClausConanClaus Member Posts: 6
    Problem solved anyway ;) Thank you all
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323

But Mulahey has an 11 Wisdom, and he messes up all the time, even when I miss him for several rounds in a row! Or is that just because he's a colossal, smelly idiot. :x

Take a close look at his gauntlets.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    how come iwd paladins and rangers get full range of 7th level cleric/druid spell respectively at high enough levels, while in bg2 they are stuck at 3rd or 4th level no matter what?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    IWD2 uses 3E rules set. The first IWD uses 2E, same as BG, and spell levels woul;d be lower.
    edited September 2013
    i'm talking about iwd1 not iwd2.

paladins and rangers have no restrictions accessing divide spells like in bg series. that's why it is confusing.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    IWD paladins and rangers max out at level 6 priest spells, near the absolute end of the experience cap (I want to say level 28, with the cap being 30?). I'm pretty sure that, at max level, they still only have one level 6 slot.

The difference between limitations in BG vs. IWD of paladin casting is probably an intentional balance decision by the development teams. Possibly due to the lack of HLAs, the IWD developers thought it appropriate for paladins and rangers to continue accumulating divine spells at higher levels.

I couldn't tell you which is closer to actual 2nd edition DnD rules.
    @Madhax hmm, interesting. thank you. :)
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I just looked at my last save game file for IWD and my 20th level paladin has level 4 spells. Which is exactly correct per PNP. And that is where it should stop. I believe ToB follows PnP rather nicely in this regard.
    There was an optional High Level Adventures book for 2E that came out some time later (sometimes part of the so-called 2.5E material) . IWD MAY follow the spell charts from the HLA book, which did allow for some higher level spells.

Both ToB and IWD do different things with characters above 20th level. Per core 2E rules, 20th level should be the cap for all characters. So going above that is getting into a "house rules" sort of area.