Skip to content

Will BG2:EE include scs and ascension??

13»

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Alternatively, I'm amazed how one person is dedicated to ruining a group of people's gaming experience because he's too lazy to figure out the right tactics to win a fight.

Moving on: hey, @Cuv, while I've got you here - I realize this isn't technically Beamdog's responsibility, but would it be at all possible for someone on the dev team to perform the occasional maintenance on Ascension in case a future patch or something causes problems? I'd hate to be in a situation where I had to choose between Ascension and an update to the core game...
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Yeah, because of all people on this forum, I'm the only one. And it is so wrong for me to sill give people choice, if they want to install the mod or not. I must be a terrible human being.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited October 2013

Yeah, because of all people on this forum, I'm the only one. And it is so wrong for me to sill give people choice, if they want to install the mod or not. I must be a terrible human being.

I foresee some people clicking the 'agree' button on your post. lol
    I wouldn't be surprised. You cannot have too much expectations for internauts.
  • ChinookUTChinookUT Member Posts: 32
    I have a great deal of faith in Beamdog et al. That whatever parts of SCS and/or Ascension they're planning to implement with BG:EE2, they'll do it in such a way that doesn't frustrate the casual gamer like myself.

Whether that happens via a wide range of difficulty settings, or customizable options for enabling the mod(s), or some other method... I'm looking forward to the release, to see what Beamdog has done to what I have long considered to be the greatest game+expansion of all time.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Cuv said:

@shawne It's on my personal modding to-do list - Get an EE compatible version of Ascension ready.
    That is clearly not confirming or denying anything official... but as a modder, I will make sure there is maintenance to make sure it doesn't break anything and stays compatible with future patches.

Please do. For me, and probably many others, Ascension is a must have. It's really the only mod I care enough to probably not even start playing BG2EE until it's available.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Cuv said:

@shawne It's on my personal modding to-do list - Get an EE compatible version of Ascension ready.
    That is clearly not confirming or denying anything official... but as a modder, I will make sure there is maintenance to make sure it doesn't break anything and stays compatible with future patches.

Do the have the version Erubausant (I'm spelling this incorrectly) worked on back in the day? Apparently, he weidu'd the entire code to patch, and fixed a lot of bugs in the process. It was never released to the community though. I think @Miloch might know more.

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    agris said:

Do the have the version Erubausant (I'm spelling this incorrectly) worked on back in the day? Apparently, he weidu'd the entire code to patch, and fixed a lot of bugs in the process. It was never released to the community though. I think @Miloch might know more.

There were still some remaining bugs in erebusant's version... I fixed most in the main component, Turambar fixed a few more, then I gave the whole thing to Cuv to chew on. He's a hungry one. :)
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I should have known. You guys have this under control, I'm just an old lurker.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited October 2013
    shawne said:

Alternatively, I'm amazed how one person is dedicated to ruining a group of people's gaming experience because he's too lazy to figure out the right tactics to win a fight.

& I'm amazed at the spectacular arrogance of this comment. That you dare make the assumption the reason people want to keep their game vanilla rather than add in something which will ultimately make it more difficult (however you argue it) is about laziness. I'm stunned. Not all of us have played the game as often as you obviously have, or play on extreme level with SCS & Ascension installed and not all of us want to, you have the option there to mod it so do it and stop trying to force you agenda on others who don't want it.

I'll say again, if it's there in BG2:EE as an integral part I won't be buying and I won't be preordering until I know what the deal will be.

& I'm amazed at the spectacular arrogance of this comment. That you dare make the assumption the reason people want to keep their game vanilla rather than add in something which will ultimately make it more difficult (however you argue it) is about laziness.

Someone who is actively working on the mod has gone on record saying the final battle in "Ascension" is easier than the vanilla version. And you're arguing to the contrary based on... what, exactly? That it was too difficult for you? Then clearly you're doing something wrong.

Not all of us have played the game as often as you obviously have, or play on extreme level with SCS & Ascension installed and not all of us want to, you have the option there to mod it so do it and stop trying to force you agenda on others who don't want it.

I hope you realize the spectacular irony of that statement coming from someone who is trying to "force" the original, deeply-flawed conclusion of ToB on others who don't want it, especially when the original version of the game is still out there for people who want the vanilla version.
    That's a very skewed take on things @Shawne . In @BaldursCat scenario people have the choice of installing Ascension into BG2:EE. In your scenario people who want BG2:EE's core story and experience to be kept in largely in tact lose out on the BG2:EE they want. You keep pretending that asking for Ascension to be forced on others is equal ground to those who signed up to BG:EE and BG2:EE on the understanding that they were merely enhancing the game, not rewriting it.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I'm amazed how group of people are dedicated to ruin other's people gaming experience. Why? Because they're too lazy to install the mod.

A large part of the issue here is that mods aren't going to be available for all platforms.
    edited October 2013
    Thank you @Dee for the info.

If possible are you able to say whether "a more official implementation" would extend to making it available to other platforms that mods aren't readily available for? Since some fans of that mod who have said platforms seem a bit worried on that front.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    Dee said:

Ascension will not be included in BGII:EE at release, I can confirm that much. We may consider a more official implementation of Ascension somewhere down the line, but for the launch it will not be a part of the core experience.

Tradeoff: Add it as a separate difficulty option much like "Heart of Fury" in IWD:Heart of Winter. Call it "Soul of Bhaal".
    RedGuard said:

That's a very skewed take on things @Shawne . In @BaldursCat scenario people have the choice of installing Ascension into BG2:EE. In your scenario people who want BG2:EE's core story and experience to be kept in largely in tact lose out on the BG2:EE they want. You keep pretending that asking for Ascension to be forced on others is equal ground to those who signed up to BG:EE and BG2:EE on the understanding that they were merely enhancing the game, not rewriting it.

I don't know why this has to be repeated over and over again, but one more time, for the record: Ascension does not rewrite content. It adds content. In the original version of BG2, you don't get to return Sarevok's sword; you don't get to ally with Balthazar even if you're Good and have the exact same goals; you don't get to see different endings for the characters whose alignments can shift during the game; you don't get to see the Slayer form evolve as you level up; and you spend the final battle of the game fighting the exact same enemies any mage, cleric or druid could conjure up.

And yes, I would rather have these things integrated into the game - as a net enhancement to the story of ToB, which has always been viewed as the weakest part of the series - than implement it as a separate mod. Because we can already do that with the original game. We already have that choice there. The version that touts itself as "Enhanced" should actually be enhanced beyond graphics and gameplay.
    edited October 2013
    @Schneidend
    I know. That's why I suggested Ascension as a free DLC in other topics that were about this mod. In that way all platforms could benefit from it. But certain someone here thinks it's better to showe it all to everyone.
    Sure, because the game is totally the same if you just don't pick those extra choices. Right.

Also putting out Ascension as though it's the ideal ending for ToB is just a point of view. It's arrogant to propose that it should be imposed on everyone just to suit yourself.
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    Purely and simply,it's a mod that not everyone will want.As suggested DLC it.Suppose we go along the road of,this mod should included and this one should be included.There'd be uproar.'Imoen romance mod' for example.Some loved it while others were outraged with cries of the incest theme.Other than the tweaks and unfinished business mods(must haves) and the new content,just leave well alone.Up to the modding community to do their stuff then.

I for one won't be buying if there's a mod being forced down my throat,that i know that i don't like.It's my gaming experience and i'm paying for it.Simple as that.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @Banex
    While I actually like the Ascension mod, I agree that it shouldn't be in the vanilla release. As I rule, I'd say any mod that changes content rather than add new content, complete partially implemented content, or fix mistakes, should not be in any official release. If you want to rewrite the Bhaalspawn saga, well, that's what mods are for.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    This thread seems kinda dumb and pretty pointless to me. I love your passion, but it seems pretty obvious that the way to make everyone happy is to make sure BG2EE supports it and that it's optional. The number of people who want Ascension or SCS but who are also not knowledgeable enough to install them as mods must be vanishingly small.
    You should instead be arguing over whether a F/M or high level albino monk would win in a cage match refereed by Big John McCarthy.
    Peace
  • ComplyOrDieComplyOrDie Member Posts: 41
    edited October 2013

This thread seems kinda dumb and pretty pointless to me. I love your passion, but it seems pretty obvious that the way to make everyone happy is to make sure BG2EE supports it and that it's optional. The number of people who want Ascension or SCS but who are also not knowledgeable enough to install them as mods must be vanishingly small.
    You should instead be arguing over whether a F/M or high level albino monk would win in a cage match refereed by Big John McCarthy.
    Peace

Exactly right. I would never play without it again but I don't want it or SCS as part of the core game. I just want to be able to play the EE with the same mods I always do (SCS and Ascension) on release or at least shortly after. Preferably with a nice straightforward install!

Sorry if that sounds entitled, it's just wishful thinking and I've preordered anyway :).
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Just stopping by to ask if some of the contents in Unfinished Business will include in BG2EE. If I am not mistaken then UB was content that got cut from the game due time/money/something.