Skip to content

Bounty Hunter/Mage

This will be the first time I've attempted Dual Classing and have a question that doesn't seem to have a very clear answer. I will be attempting a Bounty Hunter/Mage build but the only trap I really want is the hold (feel free to convince me otherwise as this is new to me). Now is there any level I could dual to mage and allow myself to go no higher then the hold trap? or while I progress through my mage levels will my traps continue to level with me until I eventually attain the maze trap? I plan on having this character throughout the series.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Once you dual to mage, you stop advancing as a thief. You then lose your thief abilities until your mage level exceeds your previous thief level. When that happens, your thief abilities are re-activated, but they remain "frozen" at your maximum thief level. You will only advance in level as a mage.
  • TheMarqTheMarq Member Posts: 6
    Ah excellent that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I read somewhere (can't even remember where now) that the traps would take the average of your two dualed classes and could change your trap abilities. Can't recall the exact breakdown of this but I just wanted to confirm that wasn't the case.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You can dual at levels 11, 12, 13, 14, or 15 if you just want to keep the hold trap.
  • AldericAlderic Member Posts: 37
    TheMarq said:

Ah excellent that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I read somewhere (can't even remember where now) that the traps would take the average of your two dualed classes and could change your trap abilities. Can't recall the exact breakdown of this but I just wanted to confirm that wasn't the case.

@TheMarq - I wanted to know this as well a while ago. I wanted to dual bounty hunter to a mage at level 11-15 and keep only the hold trap without progressing further. I guess I found the same link you refer to (the post by Lark):

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20685&page=2

I haven't tested it personally but this guy says he did. @AstroBryGuy and @elminster, if you tested this can you please confirm if the special trap effect does not progress?
  • wampawampa Member Posts: 68
    I can confirm the special trap effect does not progress from levels 11-15. Most BH duals are recommended right at level 11 since this allows you to get your thief abilities back fairly quickly - the next most common is probably dualing at level 13 for maximum backstab multiplier, but this will mean a LOT more time spent without your thief skills due to the way the XP table is structured. I personally highly recommend the level 11 dual, it can be a real blast to play. (Mislead+Backstab is a classic.)