Skip to content

For Fun: Justify your Meta-game

BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
Thought this would be silly - find a way to RP justify actions you do through the metagame.

Ex: Why did you throw a fireball into that room? The door isn't even open!
Response: CHARNAME sneezed and "bless you" could be heard coming from the other room. Obviously there was an Ogre Mage.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    My beholder paladin is a time traveller. He's seen it all before.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2013
    Charname is a diviner. He sees all. He knows all.

Charname is a cleric whose god warns him of all danger.

Charname's Bhaal essence gives him "Spidey-sense", that "tingles" when danger is near.

"Who knows what secrets lurk in the hearts of men? The Shadow Charname knows."
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    When you know the future you may feel tempted in not disrupt it, to avoid changes in the history, but then, by doing nothing you're doing something, thus you're passively changing history.

Can you say for sure that you weren't meant to act in a moment? Can you say that you looked in all the consequences of each act, not only the swallow face of the future?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    ajwz said:

I thought I saw a spider in there, so I cast a cloudkill.
    Then I realised that spiders don't breath, so I cast a fireball instead.
    Then I realised that I'd have a better chance of getting it if I set the whole air on fire, so I cast incendiary cloud.
    Then I decided that I wanted to go check that it was dead, but I didn't want it jumping out on us, so I decided to cast web so that it would mistake us for other spiders if it was still alive.

Duh, spiders are immune to webs. Better summon an elemental to scout ahead.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm an evil SoB, and I routinely cast Web, Fireball, Cloudkill, Incendiary Cloud, and Horrid Wilting into every area before I enter it, just because I can. Shoot first and ask questions later, I always say.

Blue circle, schmue schmircle, if it's walking toward me, it dies. If it just stands there looking suspicious, it dies.

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2013
    Being really, really, really, REALLY careful.

"Is there something in there? I dunno. Just throw a fireball in there to be sure."
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Pre-Buffing? What is this pre-buffing you speak of? Today is my deities holy day and he instructed me to bless everybody! Its just coincidence that it happens to be outside the temple of Bhaal.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    "Cleric can you start casting buffs"
    "Why? there's no one around"
    "Exactly, and we're in the second to final room of the dungeon so obviously the last room has a bunch of strong bad guys in it. If it weren't then wouldn't the boss of the dungeon have already attacked us.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Uh what is meta-game and RP?
    From what I see here meta-game is question and answer by oneself and RP, I have no idea. Read Point?
    Anybody kind enough to let me know what that is probably go heaven by good deed. thanks.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Meta-gaming is act foreseeing things that will happen in your game based on previous game plays. If you mass cast fireball, cloud kill and other area effect spells in blue circled NPCs that would bring a hard battle in the moment you get on their sign you're using your past knowledge of the game to soft a fight before it happens.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    I get hunches about situations, certain spots in dungeons... some say I'm just a paranoid cynic, but I'm still alive, aren't I?
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    @kamuizin Thank you very much now those comments makes sense.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    "He looks like he is carrying a sword, I wonder if it is magical. Better kill him and all of his lackeys to find out."

"Once my companions saw Drittz, they immediately left my party and swarmed him for his autograph. You'd think he was one of the Darryl's or something. Anyway the poor guy was surrounded and couldn't move, that's when I saw his sword and thought, 'hey cool sword, wonder if it is magical' and I only know one way to find that out."
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    "Potion of Mirrored Eyes?! I thought this was Everclear Ale! Ah well, time to go kill whatever is on the next story of this Dwarven keep! Oh look, Basilisks! Well, this is a convenient series of events. Remember kids, always drink before going on a monster-slaying rampage!"
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I enjoy sending summoned skeletons to walk into lavok's control room one by one, because sending them all at once would be unsporting
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    If, Bondari, Nanoc the Barbarian and Tim Goldenhand can do it, why can't I?