Skip to content

Build my character for me... Please!

2»

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited September 2013
    No, you just get less HP on level up than you would normally get. It's not reducing them from what you have, it's reducing from the amount you'd normally get. With a bonus for high con, it would show "+2" and you'd get 10 + 2 = 12. In your case, "-1" means you only get 9.
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93

Hi All,
    Since getting back into BG thanks to EE, I have only managed to complete the game once, as an Elf Archer. For whatever reason i find it nearly impossible to be 100% happy (even 80% would be nice) with a character, and my mind is always reeling with possibilities and what if's.

What i would like to do, is play a crowd sourced character, and if you could respond with one aspect of the character each, from Gender all the way down to name, until i have a full character. And obviously for abilities and spells (if applicable) take 1 each.
    I don't care how wacky or weak or overpowered they end up.

Thanks in anticipation!

uberduberdad

Male, Half-Elf, Cleric-Mage, Chaotic Neutral (you need neutral to get ALL cleric spells, plus chaotic neutral gives you the cat familiar, which is the cutest!). Try to roll something like: 18 strength, dump dexterity (6 i think is the lowest for half-elf) because gauntlets of dexterity give 18 to it and can be found in 1, 16 constitution (no more, you cannot benefit further if you are no fighter/ranger/paladin), 18 intelligence, 18 wisdom, dump charisma (i never used that outside of bards, druids and paladins, and in 2 you can find ring of human influence, which gives 18 to it, and meanwhile use Friends, a level 1 mage spell).

Then wreak havoc. The best spellcaster out there. Stay back safe while others struggle at the front; buff them, heal them, summon allies, damage the enemy, afflict the enemy, you can do anything and everything a combined cleric and mage spell selection affords you (provided that you gain a couple of levels first, and you find and scribe mage scrolls successfully). Raise some money, go west of Bereghost to that loner mage and buy spells. He and sorcerous sundries in BG will get you most, if not all, wizard spells (some more are sold at expansion's new area from innkeeper, and some as dungeon loot, especially Ulgoth's Beard).

Dress in black main and red secondary, or vice versa. I chose Xan's (the elf captive enchanter's in Nashkel) portrait, and named character "Bluebeard", playing through the original 1. In 2, when maxed, this gem of a character gets all cleric and mage spells and HLAs, can cast final level spells of both classes, and i chose fallen deva and fallen planetar for him.
  • leddyhsleddyhs Member Posts: 54
    Seconding @DeathKnight here. Cleric spells take such a long time to cast that they are annoying to use. But those sequencers, man. Those sequencers.
    edited September 2013
    Also prefer mage robes. And cast spells like blur/spirit armor/mirror image.
  • zurathanzurathan Member Posts: 53
    ok here is an idea that involves no cheat with a cheat like power. if you are interested keep reading.
    it works in black pits or BG2, you need xp cap remover for BG1 area.
    you need a human beast master to begin with and dual to cleric after level 8, when you get your ranger abilities back, you can cast animal summoning I (priest level 4 spell) with level1 pool.
    some important details: your stats minimum values should be like this. 15,15,15,3,17,3. which should be no problem to roll. and your weapon choice should be within cleric coices. dont mind the no metalic weapon thing it only effects your ranger part. it will be unvalid when you became cleric and taka back your ranger abilities (dont know if its a bug). i mean invest slings and club, staff, styles then no matter after you are cleric. you can then invest mace, morningstar and rest. you will be able to use mettalic weapons after that.
    so how ideal for powergamers? only drawback is 5 summon limit. and you might have a fammiliar with BG2 but you may wanna wait till lvl13 to get animal summoning III (lvl6 spell) as a lvl 3 and aditional 1APR.
    oh man i m eager to have BG2EE, i hope it wont be a bug nightmare like i heard about ipad version.
    zurathan said:

ok here is an idea that involves no cheat with a cheat like power. if you are interested keep reading.
    it works in black pits or BG2, you need xp cap remover for BG1 area.
    you need a human beast master to begin with and dual to cleric after level 8, when you get your ranger abilities back, you can cast animal summoning I (priest level 4 spell) with level1 pool.
    some important details: your stats minimum values should be like this. 15,15,15,3,17,3. which should be no problem to roll. and your weapon choice should be within cleric coices. dont mind the no metalic weapon thing it only effects your ranger part. it will be unvalid when you became cleric and taka back your ranger abilities (dont know if its a bug). i mean invest slings and club, staff, styles then no matter after you are cleric. you can then invest mace, morningstar and rest. you will be able to use mettalic weapons after that.
    so how ideal for powergamers? only drawback is 5 summon limit. and you might have a fammiliar with BG2 but you may wanna wait till lvl13 to get animal summoning III (lvl6 spell) as a lvl 3 and aditional 1APR.
    oh man i m eager to have BG2EE, i hope it wont be a bug nightmare like i heard about ipad version.

What kind of stats are these? Dumping two stats, like intelligence and charisma, should afford you no less than 18 to ALL the rest! Reroll a few times! Also, try getting that 18/00 strength, coupled with 18 to all other stats besides the dump stats. Sheesh, i fail to comprehend how some people afford less than 18 to their classes' primary stat, let alone not maxing everything, especially since you have the luxury of dumping more than 1 stat!

Beast master/Cleric is a very interesting combination. But to shine trully, it needs 2. Dualling at 12 is what i did. Because this way you get maximum cleric spell slots, as the spell progression tables suggest. And because you get to utilize all Beastmaster bonuses before dualling (animal summonings at lowest spell levels). Keep in mind that if you carry on to 2, and 2EE does not fixes a certain problem with more proficiency points than you can allocate (you couldn't level up anymore if somehow you got to have more specialization points than you can spend), you have to spend them with careful planning, strategically, with foresight. Also, even though you get to spend specialization points to ALL cleric weapon roster just after dualling and progressing, you cannot use anything else besides clubs, slings and staffs. Still, a nice BG2 club (disruption +2, detonation +5) with a nice BG2 shield (+4 from underdark merchant, darksteel +4) and a nice BG2 sling (everard), or a nice BG2 staff (cleric's +3, of the Ram +6) with a nice BG2 sling (erinne), works wonders. Still, this is a hardcore and advanced character, not fit for first playthroughs. He has certain weaknesses. That require more planning and strategy from your part. Better a cleric/mage neutral alignment. More power, less weakness...
  • zurathanzurathan Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2013

What kind of stats are these? Dumping two stats, like intelligence and charisma, should afford you no less than 18 to ALL the rest! Reroll a few times! Also, try getting that 18/00 strength, coupled with 18 to all other stats besides the dump stats. Sheesh, i fail to comprehend how some people afford less than 18 to their classes' primary stat, let alone not maxing everything, especially since you have the luxury of dumping more than 1 stat!

these stats is the minimum (required to be able to dual class ranger -> cleric) stats, which total is 68 and game allows you to roll minimum 75 at sum. i mean, maybe you try 75 challange then you have 7 stats to distribute after you make sure the minimum stats is these. and if you were lucky and rolled 90 then you have 22 stats to distribute.
    str:15 dex:15 con:15 int:3 wis:17 cha:3 is not your goal as playing, just minimum roll for each stat, if you decide you are good with 14 constitution then you wont be able to dual class until you use that tome.
    and the other issue. i havent tried it in BG2 just tried in BGEE and i dont know if its a bug or what, but metalic weapon restriction lifts when you take back your beastmaster abilities.
    beside that you seem to understand the whole idea, i wasn't claiming this is the ultimate combination or something, i was just experimenting about possibilities.
    zurathan said:

these stats is the minimum (required to be able to dual class ranger -> cleric) stats, which total is 68 and game allows you to roll minimum 75 at sum. i mean, maybe you try 75 challange then you have 7 stats to distribute after you make sure the minimum stats is these. and if you were lucky and rolled 90 then you have 22 stats to distribute.
    str:15 dex:15 con:15 int:3 wis:17 cha:3 is not your goal as playing, just minimum roll for each stat, if you decide you are good with 14 constitution then you wont be able to dual class until you use that tome.
    and the other issue. i havent tried it in BG2 just tried in BGEE and i dont know if its a bug or what, but metalic weapon restriction lifts when you take back your beastmaster abilities.
    beside that you seem to understand the whole idea, i wasn't claiming this is the ultimate combination or something, i was just experimenting about possibilities.
    Actually, in original 2 with TOB installed, the metallic weapon restrictions do NOT lift... I myself thought that they did up until recently, but actually NOT. No flail, mace or hammer equippable, even though i put 1 proficiency point to each one of them. But Staff and Clubs / Slings are enough anyway (of the Ram / Errine wreaks havoc).
  • uberduberdaduberduberdad Member Posts: 53
    So, an update on the adventures of Splendy.
    After leaving Candlekeep, she ventured forth with Imoen to The Friendly Arm Inn, stopping along the way to hunt bears and wolves, and put a smelly old Ogre in its place. Once there they promptly defeated Tarnesh, declined Khalid and Jaheira's request and proceeded south towards Beregost.

At Beregost, she teamed up with Neera after rescuing her from her assailants, avoided a kerfuffle in Feldposts Inn, took out Silke for her obvious wrong doings, joined with Garick and dispatched of a Dwarf looking for some "easy money". The group then headed further south toward Nashkel.

To cut a long story short, after reaching Nashkel and clearing out the mines with the help of Minsc and Rasaad, Splendy and her gang were ambushed by a group of bandits. Splendy fell during this engagement to several well aimed arrows before Minsc and Rasaad were able to get close enough to engage with the enemy.

All in all, while it may not have been the heroic adventure i was hoping, cut short by sneaky bandits, I did have a lot of fun playing a whole new character that i probably wouldnt have picked myself.

Thanks Guys!

Uberduberdad