Skip to content

Build my character for me... Please!

Hi All,
Since getting back into BG thanks to EE, I have only managed to complete the game once, as an Elf Archer. For whatever reason i find it nearly impossible to be 100% happy (even 80% would be nice) with a character, and my mind is always reeling with possibilities and what if's.

What i would like to do, is play a crowd sourced character, and if you could respond with one aspect of the character each, from Gender all the way down to name, until i have a full character. And obviously for abilities and spells (if applicable) take 1 each.
I don't care how wacky or weak or overpowered they end up.

Thanks in anticipation!

uberduberdad

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Um, ok.

Class: Bard
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Blades are a very fun class except for the simple fact that bards cannot wear helmets. Nevermind the magic perks of head gear, it's the crits that cill you! You can have a 10th level blade and cringe everytime you fight an ogre, especially on HC runs.

This is what you want to do. Take a fighter/beserker on a solo run. If things go well, you will hit level 7 right around the time you enter Baldur's Gate. Dual class to theif, then go to the theives guild in Baldur's Gate and do the wquest line It's and awesome coincidence. You wont regret it.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Can I do Kit: Blade? Or is that cheating?
    Well, the reason I didn't say Bard: Jester was that'd be two things. To my mind anyway. So go for it.

Bard: Blade Kit.
  • uberduberdaduberduberdad Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2013
    Sorry, yep kit is a separate aspect as @CaptRory concluded. Thanks Madhax. So so far he'll be a Bard, blade kit.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 105

Hi All,
    Since getting back into BG thanks to EE, I have only managed to complete the game once, as an Elf Archer. For whatever reason i find it nearly impossible to be 100% happy (even 80% would be nice) with a character, and my mind is always reeling with possibilities and what if's.

uberduberdad

Man, I have this same problem. I can NEVER settle on one character.

I'll add go chaotic neutral alignment. That seems to fit a bard to me.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2013
    I'd suggest trying a human fighter to level 7 specced for two weapon fighting and another one handed weapon (I am fond of longswors because there's a wide variety of them from bg1 to bg2) and then dual class to thief (I'd spec into scimitar and shortbow at the time of the switch)... you get to be fighter for a good chunk of the game... then you get to swap to thief for a nice change of pace... doing this at the same time you dual Imoen to mage (assuming you do so) means your character can pick up the slack for thieving while she learns magery.

Then when you hit lvl 8 as a thief you'll get your fighter skills back making your character more formidable in combat again. Now if you want to be fancy about it and exploit being able to use your weapon pips in a more gamey way, don't do your levels until you have 70,000 or more xp. Then do your level and you can use the pips you got to grand master your long sword and from there on you can focus on scimitar (you'll want at least 3 pips in it for the +3 to hit but I like going to full grand master to get extra damage too). In BG1EE you'll be devastating with Varscona and Rashad's Talon.

Now when you go in to BG2EE you'll be a bad ass melee with thief skills that will continue to grow while Imoen's remain stagnant (and she's away for a bit in the early game)... You'll want to grab Belm (+1 apr scimitar) for your ohand ASAP. Now you can decimate SoA and play through till ToB where you'll get Use Any Item which opens up your gear opportunities tremendously. You'll wanna grab the Scarlet Ninja-to from Joluv before you transition into ToB to replace Belm for your ohand once you have Use Any Item.

The reason I suggest this type of character is it constantly has things to "look forward to" so it keeps the character interesting and growing in neat ways while you play. You have regular "carrots" to entice you to keep going to see if you live up to the potential of the character. From there on its just finding the best gear to maximize and finish the story.

Specific gear to look forward to includes: Helm of Balduran, Grandmaster Armor +6 (which lets you use your thief skills without restriction and works as boots of speed letting you use different boots), Scarlet Ninja-to, Tzu-Zan's Bracers, Amulet of the Master Harper, and more.

I personally went with Angurvadal +5 (longsword) for my main hand since it gives 22 str while equipped letting me use a different belt and give the girdle of fire giant strength to another character. You could also go with Crom Faeyr instead for 25 str and get it much sooner than upgraded Angurvadal though you'll give up the component items to make it. Another alternative would be the Flail of Ages for a MH and use the girdle for the str boost. It's really up to you.

I personally enjoy having a "plan" for my character. Various goal posts to reach make the character interesting which motivates me to keep going with the story. The same tactic might work for you too!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Wizard Slayer.
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Bard: Blade Kit.

Race: Half-Elf.
    @lunar I tried that a few times, unfortunately i didnt even make it past the Character Generation Screen before, trying again, and again and again.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @uberduberdad: Why not try one of the new kits, like Blackguard?
    So far we have:

Half-Elf
    Chaotic Neutral
    Bard: Blade Kit

Please keep on topic guys. He asked for a specific thing. Please add on to what we have, one aspect at a time.
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
  • StinkyStinky Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2013
    Edit: Oops one each!

Weapon Proficiency; +Mace
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2013
    Strength: 5
    Dexterity: 12
    Constitution: 6
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Name: Splendiferous Nightjar. Known as Splendy to her friends.
    Ok, since we don't know what stats you will be rolling, perhaps we should rank them in order of importance. Especially since Suiboon is apparently trolling and didn't follow the rules set forth.

Like, Wisdom: 6th Place.
    happy to take stats to. Min for blade is STR 3 DEX 12 CON 6 INT 13 WIS 3 CHA 15 MAX for all is 18 so happy if you pick something in that range
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Half-Elf
    Chaotic Neutral
    Female
    Mace +

I'm adding the second weapon prof: Darts +
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    Half-Elf
    Chaotic Neutral
    Female
    Mace +
    Darts +

DEX: 16

• alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    Half-Elf
    Chaotic Neutral
    Female
    Mace +
    Darts +

INT: 14
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Cool idea ^^
    Str: 17
    Ok, getting there now.
    Splendiferous "Splendy" Nightjar
    Female
    Bard: Blade
    Chaotic Neutral
    STR: you guys can choose either 5 or 17 (both have been suggested)
    CON: 6 (oh dear, I'm feeling quite I'll)
    INT : 14

Still need WIS and CHA

profs: mace + darts

thanks
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013

I'd say go with 17 strength

Ok, getting there now.
    Splendiferous "Splendy" Nightjar
    Female
    Bard: Blade
    Chaotic Neutral
    CON: 6 (oh dear, I'm feeling quite I'll)
    INT : 14

Still need WIS and CHA

profs: mace + darts

thanks

Charisma: 15
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    Might i also recommend customising your character with purple
    Major and blue minor looks great for a bard
    Purple and blue it is. I think I just need WIS now.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    WIS: 11
    Well, here she is. Sorry it took so long, not as much time for games as I used to have.
    I do have one concern though, Hit Points/LEVEL: -1 (obviously due to my weak stomach!)
    Will my max hp decrease each level until I curl up and die?
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418

Well, here she is. Sorry it took so long, not as much time for games as I used to have.
    I do have one concern though, Hit Points/LEVEL: -1 (obviously due to my weak stomach!)
    Will my max hp decrease each level until I curl up and die?

Basically your hp rolls are penalized each time you level (instead of gaining a bonus if you con was high). It shouldnt cause much if any issue and you can mitigate it with potions and a magic belt that boost your con. It doesnt affect you after level 10 so essentially you're missing 10 hp from your max possible total (30hp if you had a 16+ con)