Skip to content

multiplayer mode...,how it work?

stecavastecava Member Posts: 24
edited July 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
in BG EE muliplayer mode is a co op of the main story, but my question is: every component of the party is controlloed by a human player with his pc, what happen when a pg die? respawn? where and when? how is structured ther multiplayer mode?

Comments

• MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    if it was like the main game if a player dies he needs to be ressurected and if he dies forever you reload the save, its not much different to the single player, except you have players with a mind of there own working with you and players talking tactics. if it has changed I dont really know.
  • stecavastecava Member Posts: 24
    yes it's like the main game , in the discussion"Pre-Order FAQ" ad admin answer that you will plat the main story in co op:D
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    The multiplayer mecanism is near perfect for this kind of rpg. Usualy when you die in early game, you just reload, in mid or late game you have all what you need to resurrect yourself.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    There was also another option, where you were able to 'import' a novel character in the place of the deceased. My brother and I bought two computers just to be able to play this game together!
  • cimerianscimerians Member Posts: 3
    Just want to clear up the multiplayer option.

- You can play with another person at home with co-op through the main story?
    - The other person needs to buy a copy of the game correct?
    - Also, if its a party of characters who controls what the other characters do? Or is it just you and one other person playing in co-op mode?
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    cimerians said:

- Also, if its a party of characters who controls what the other characters do? Or is it just you and one other person playing in co-op mode?

-You will be able to play on a LAN with up to six devices running BGEE. Six is the limit on party size.
    -They need to be running BGEE to play.
    -Characters are assigned controllers in the multiplayer setup by the host, one person could control five and the other just one. The host can also set different permissions to each player. i.e. the ability to pause.
  • cimerianscimerians Member Posts: 3
    Great thanks for clearing this up. I plan on playing with the wife and/or maybe the kid and I was hoping that it wont be too complicated for them so being able to control the whole party myself and then they can just concetrate on playing their character is wonderful.
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    Will there be servers so peeps can play online with random peeps or can you only play with friends? I've never played BG before but i have seen some vids on youtube, and I'm totally stoked for this game :D
  • Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    edited July 2012
    im curious, whether it will still be that complicated like in the original game. I found it annoying, that you need someone with a server computer.

Edit: sorry for offtopic, but how can i save a discussion as a bookmark?
  • ViperSVViperSV Member Posts: 1
    I love playing with other people but to me, the mutliplayer was too annoying with regards to pause and combat. It's all fine and dandy when you are in single player because you can take your time in regards to tactics, but with other minds in the mix, taking that long to decide what to do for every battle can be tedious.
    I also realize this does represent PnP DnD but there you had a DM who decided to throw certain choice encounters at your party, not just reconfigured mobs throughout a forest map. It is definitely easier when everyone is together and next to each other, like BG was playing at a LAN party.
    I am just giving my opinion on how I saw multiplayer in BG. It was more of a novelty than an enticement.
  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    I don't whether they will have dedicated servers or not, but they did say that were pretty much redoing multiplayer from the ground up as far as how you can connect to people and what not. But even if they don't have dedicated servers, any computer worth its salt should have no problem acting as a server for this game.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Might I ask a multiplayer related question myself :

With BG1 and 2 you could solve the connection between far away PCs (as opposed to LAN PCs) with programs like Hamachi or Game Ranger. Will it be possible to connect between two far away PCs (countries away) in BGEE without running any additional program? If not, what would be the most practical way to solve this issue?
  • raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    edited August 2012
    Afaik there is a matchmaking option around there too, so that's good.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/30/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-will-have-cross-platform-co-op/
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    Coriander said:

cimerians said:

-You will be able to play on a LAN with up to six devices running BGEE. Six is the limit on party size.
    -They need to be running BGEE to play.
    -Characters are assigned controllers in the multiplayer setup by the host, one person could control five and the other just one. The host can also set different permissions to each player. i.e. the ability to pause.
    Just for a bit of clarification on my part. Does that mean that we can play a LAN game with say me on a Mac and my friend on an iPad in the same room? Or say a Mac, a PC, and iPad, and Nexus 7 all together in a LAN game?
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97

cimerians said:

Just want to clear up the multiplayer option.

- Yes
    - Yes
    - The person who hosts the game can assign how many characters the other player(s) will get total control over.

I just want to clarify. I plan on playing this with my fiancee. I'm going to purchase the PC version and android. Leading up to the android release, we would still like to play together. Does that mean I need to purchase two copies of the PC version (in addition to the android one)?

• elysXelysX Member Posts: 21
    THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!! will be playing with my brother who also loves this game. and a friend who never played this game before.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited September 2012

I just want to clarify. I plan on playing this with my fiancee. I'm going to purchase the PC version and android. Leading up to the android release, we would still like to play together. Does that mean I need to purchase two copies of the PC version (in addition to the android one)?

I was wondering about it too. So if you have 2 copies of the game (PC and android), will you be able to play 2 PC versions (for example when you are at home, more convenient is to use second PC version instead android one)?
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    The only question going into my mind is : Is there gonna be a LAN system for each platform system. Like a pc could play with an Ipad + an android and my wife's mac in the confort of the same house without any latency ? Or we will need to add our selves into a public server with a password protected system.
  • Here's a question that I don't think anyone has asked yet! One of the best things about this game is the inter-party squabbling and other amusing dialogue, right? Having your party break into a fight (Khalid/Jaheira vs. Xzar/Montaron) was amazing.

So does the multiplayer screw that up at all? I'm going to play this game multiplayer with someone who hasn't played before, and I'd hate it if that person couldn't get the full effect (without playing by himself, I mean). If I'm in a multiplayer game with two other people, will those hilarious inter-party conversations and events still happen, or will they be disabled (the thought being, I guess, to sacrifice the charm for an uninterrupted multiplayer experience)?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It'll only screw it up if you have no room left in your party for the in-game NPCs. As long as the NPCs are in your party, they'll interact just as they would in a single player game.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Sorry for my ignorance but will I need to purchase something special to "play on a LAN" or can I just connect over the internet with another player?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    On a Lan it should find any other computer connected to the same network you are, although I remember one of devs saying at release you'd need the players IP address.