Skip to content

"I punch Dopplegangers" aka BGEE Monk guide

I punch Dopplegangers (+) aka BGEE Monk guide

Who is this guide for: for players that were interested in monks and were put off by their difficult first levels. To show that monks can be viable characters in BGEE and to give some tips and tricks how to play them on early levels.
What is this guide NOT for: for powergamers who seek to min-max APR, weapon average damage and tirelessly argue about 0.15% median damage increase.

So, let's get started then...
What are we starting with
So, my monk started with these attributes (++):
Lawful Evil Human Monk: Str- 18, Dex- 17, Con- 15, Int- 10, Wis- 14, Cha- 16
Not bad at all, but also not over-the-top.
Don't let the THAC0 and AC misguide you. It will grow.
NOTE: Mind you, that my monk was Lawful Evil, so I could not snatch Rasaad's Moonlight Walkers (-2AC boots) nor the Glimmering Bands gauntlets(AC+THAC0 bonus). If you create a LG monk, your AC will be even better.

What can we expect at level 8 (max BGEE)?
Str- 19, Dex- 18, Con- 16, Int- 11, Wis- 17, Cha- 16. 80HitPoints.
Unbuffed: THAC0 9, 2APR, -2AC average fist damage 10-19 (THAC0 and AC are even better with a good +2 weapon and single weapon proficiency. Only 1APR though.)
Buffed: THAC0 5, 2APR, -9AC, average fist damage 16-25. 25% Magic Resistance (Cloak of Balduran)
Buffs- potion of 24 strength, Shield, Bless, Potion of Invulnerability, Defensive Harmony...could have buffed them even a bit more)

...for comparison - Dorn with same buffs had 85HitPoints, THAC0 2, 2APR, -7AC (with Gauntlets of Dexterity), average dmg with Rancor(+2) 18-27. Insane Blackguard kit buffs+immunities. Yes...arguably a little bit better, but very comparative.

Tips on character creation&development
Creation
- Get Strength as high as you can. Dexterity helps too and Constitution gives you bonuses up to 16. Other attributes are just cosmetic, choose whatever you have possible.
- I chose Daggers and Single Weapon proficiency for the AC bonus. Throwing Daggers are awesome at first levels. Some people prefer darts, but I leave that to mages. They do little damage and by the time you get the better ones, you will be able to use your fists.
How to play levels 1-5
- Use your monk's inherent speed to kite monsters. Throwing daggers have 2 APR and get your strength bonuses for damage. Sometimes, you can kill a Hobogoblin or other lower creature in one hit. Ogrillons, Ghasts, Half-ogres...all easy prey for your fast monk. Remember, you can also perform hit-and-run sneak attacks on slower enemies, just like the Thieves (no backstab bonus though)
- Do not hesitate to use potions. Monks can use some great Fighter-only potions like "Potion of Invulnerability"(makes boss fights a cakewalk), "Potion of Defense", strength potions...aaand exploding potions of course! Use them, use them, use them! No point in hoarding them!
- Get +AC protection items asap - Ring of Protection +1, Belts that prevent Slashing/Piercing damage. Boots of Avoidance to fight archers or Boots of Stealth (Worn Whispers) to help you stalk.
- Get the bracers that help you throw daggers (+2 to THAC0 with missiles). I never felt the need to equip Bracers of Defense. They never provided any help to me and were not worth the money.
- Next proficiency that helps - Scimitars. Or Single weapon proficiency...whatever you don't have.
- If you are Lawful Good, you can steal Rasaad's boots. (Lawful Good. yeah...right)
How to play levels 5-8
- Now, your fists are starting to become a power to reckon. Also, your AC is lower and with Shield spell, you are routinely below 0 AC.
- I chose Long Swords as new proficiency. Alternatively - Slings is a good choice too. (Long Swords for the flaming sword found in Durlag's Tower to hack Karoug's face with)
- Get the bracers that enhance your THAC0 and dmg(Legacy of Masters) to replace the +THAC0 missile dmg Bracers. Or Gauntlets of Ogre(18/00) Power. Whatever helps you more. Lawful Good Monks can use the Glittering Bands, Big Fisted Belt.
- Replace the +1 ring for +2 ring from Ramazith.
- Get the Cloak of Balduran from Quenash(another -1AC, plus saves bonus and Magic Resistance)
- Ring of Fire Resistance, Greenstone Amulet - nifty items.
- Potions of strength are quite common. Chug them down in a challenging battle.
- If you got the Scimitar proficiency and are Lawful Good...and kill Drizzt, you can use the +3 Scimitar Twinkle for some more AC bonus. (...Lawful Good...yeah)

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    - reserved -
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Nice. One question though. If I roll a Monk (whether straight Monk or kit), would it be worth having Rasaad in the party or am I simply better off not having two Monks in the party?
    edited September 2013
    RedGuard said:

Nice. One question though. If I roll a Monk (whether straight Monk or kit), would it be worth having Rasaad in the party or am I simply better off not having two Monks in the party?

Well, I had Rasaad in my party - but I admit only for some time to do his quest. I actually haven't used any item from his quest...I just wanted to help a fellow monk (and try to corrupt him a bit on the way).

I would advise against it. You don't need 2 monks, just as you don't need 2 Thieves that have the same Locks&Traps skills. Think of the monk as a Fighter/Thief hybrid and mix him with someone else - variety is the spice of life. In BG2EE the monk duo might get very interesting (with their progressing bonuses/immunities and Magical Resistance)

For the record, Southpaw ran with a lot of NPCs during his travels - a lot of times solo, just with Minsc to fetch Dynaheir. Had Safana join for the Pirate's Cave...took Kivan for the Bandit's Camp only etc...
    But my stable ending party was Southpaw + Imoen, Neera, Branwen & Dorn (5 total)
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Thanks @Southpaw
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    but, i like armor, it makes me look slim =p too bad about the fists being normal till lvl 9. other than that they are pretty slick, especially with this build you've so generously posted for us =)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2013
    Moving this thread to Strategies and Walkthroughs. Nice work here, @Southpaw. I'll be interested to see if you think the Dark Moon Monk is a worthwhile alternative once this next patch is released (the Chill Touch ability is being replaced with a longer-duration "bonus cold damage" buff); not for monks in general, but for Southpaw in particular.

but, i like armor, it makes me look slim =p too bad about the fists being normal till lvl 9.

Yes...it would be very generous from the devs to move this particular progression to 8th level so the monks can have their fists count as magical weapons by the end of BGEE. However, it is not a showstopper (everyone except Aec'Letec, Karoug and some Slimes is punch-able)
    Dee said:

Moving this thread to Strategies and Walkthroughs. Nice work here, @Southpaw. I'll be interested to see if you think the Dark Moon Monk is a worthwhile alternative once this next patch is released (the Chill Touch ability is being replaced with a longer-duration "bonus cold damage" buff); not for monks in general, but for Southpaw in particular.

Thank you. I admit I was not sure about this and I thought - well, if Dee wants to move it, he will.
    I never really read patch notes for the upcoming patches (to not to spoil the surprise) - but I will try the Dark Moon Monk then. Thank you for the notice.
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    Nice stuff, thanks for writing all that. Do you think a solo monk would be doable?

Also, a little question: you say at level 8 your fist dealt 10-19 damage, how is that possible? If I'm not mistaken, at that level they deal 1d10 damage, and there's no way 19 STR gives such a bonus... unless that's for BOTH hits per turn, but in that case I don't see where that 19 comes from, since it's not an even number...
    edited September 2013
    @Shrimp - A solo monk...I soloed most of BG2. Gets quite easy with Quivering Palm and Magic Resistance. Soloed quite a big part of the BGEE game too.
    I can't say for the latter parts (6th and 7th chapter, Durlag's Tower is un-doable without a Thief).
    I would say - probably doable, yet very challenging as you have no way to disable traps.
    Dee has told me, the new patch will bring some nice enhancements to the Dark Moon Monk class so I am going to try to solo the game with him. I can describe that venture afterwards.

Actually, the damage is correct. I can look again when I get to my computer later, but I do have a screenshot here. Strength 19 gives +7 to dmg.

Equipment used: Legacy of Masters Bracers (+1THAC0, +2dmg), Balduran's Cloak, Worn Whispers Boots (+Stealth), +2 Protection Ring, +50% Fire resistance Ring, Belt -3AC against missiles. Str 19, Dex 18. No buffs.
    For the record - backup weapons = Dagger of Venom (myyyy precioussss) and Scimitar +2.

EDIT: adding a fully buffed screenshot too - right before punching Sarevok's arse.

Same equipment as above (used Shield and replaced with Green Stone Amulet that was in my inventory before)
    Buffs: Potion of 24 strength, Shield, Bless, Potion of Invulnerability, Defensive Harmony, Protection from Evil. Could have buffed myself even a bit more...with DUHM for example (Alas! My monk does not have DUHM. He got Vampiric Touch. That said - a Lawful Good monk with Rasaad's equipment would be even manlier.)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I just wish that monk weapons received monk APR, as in PNP. In particular, the long (quarter) staff. The game engine probably can't handle the actual rules (the player can choose which strikes are weapon, which are hands; it allows (for instance) a stunning fist followed by the other attacks). Anyway, I don't know about killing the special bosses, but I have trouble doing that with any class.

The other thing I'd love would be to have master to grand mastery of unarmed strike available for monks. Late in BG2, monks get lots of attacks without the best THAC0 progression - it leads to a lot of misses, essentially. GM would help that, I think.

Anyway, I played BG2 through with a monk (my only playthrough) and it worked.
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    Ah, I didn't realize you got such a high bonus for 19 STR. I wasn't aware of those gloves either for some reason. :( Where do you get them?

Anyway, I once planned a solo run with a monk using BGT, but in the end I never did it, 'cause running around enemies throwing stuff wasn't really my idea of a monk, but I guess there's no other way so I may as well do it. On the other hand I've done it multiple times in BG2, using various mods for different HLA, and it was always very enjoyable.
    edited September 2013
    @Shrimp - "running around enemies throwing stuff" - that only counts for first few levels, which you will cut thru quickly. At lvl 3, fists start getting better (1.5APR, 1d8 damage) and "slowly usable". At level 6 (only 27500XP) it gets to 2APR and 1d10 damage which will be enough for whole BGEE endgame.
    Just wait for the 9th level, where we will finally get +1 magic fists. (Along with 2.5APR and fist doing 1d12 dmg :-) )
    Source: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts#Monks

I actually spent only first 3 levels (3000XP) mainly throwing knives. Levels 4 and 5 were partially throwing, partially fisting (uh-huh) and partially using Dagger of Venom. Since level 6 I rarely used anything else than fists.

The bracers are here:
    Firewine Bridge map, upper right corner. Just get Melium "the best swordsman on the Coast" mad and he will attack you. Kill him to get these bracers and a +1 Long Sword (yeah, he is a cheater)

I only wish Beamdog would actually give non-LG monks an opinion to get some good gear in the game. We have to scrape whatever we can...*grumble, grumble*
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    to add, darts of stunning with their high APR coupled with the monks decent thac0 are a must too, as is the necklace of missile. @shrimp i soloed with a sun soul monk, using lots of kiting and darts of stunning

i guess the dark moon monk's blindness with darts of stunning could nice together
    @mjs is correct. Darts can be pretty useful too. However, they don't get the +dmg bonus from strength and their damage is really low. 3APR though. It is an alternative to daggers.

I personally chose daggers out of 3 reasons:
    1) Darts indeed have 3 APR, but they do not grant damage bonuses for strength so their damage (1d3 if I'm not mistaken) is really low. The Darts of Stunning and Biting are much better damage-wise, but they are also rare and expensive - which means you probably won't have them on levels 1-3 where you need them the most. Which brings me to
    2) Daggers are cheap. Daggers do add damage bonus and have a bit higher base damage (I have never killed a Goblin in one hit with a Dart. With Daggers, yes.) Also, you can get a Dagger+1 as soon as in Candlekeep and Dagger+2 below Nashkel, without any actual fighting.
    3) Getting daggers proficiency also means you will be proficient with the Dagger of Venom (aka Magekiller).
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    On top of that, if the BG1 NPC project ever comes across to EE you can get the boomerang dagger pretty early on too.
  • The other thing I'd love would be to have master to grand mastery of unarmed strike available for monks. Late in BG2, monks get lots of attacks without the best THAC0 progression - it leads to a lot of misses, essentially. GM would help that, I think.

The Gauntlets of Crushing you can get in BG2 offer pseudo-GM with their +4/+4 bonus (though at the cost of not being able to use Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise). Also, I've confirmed with NI that whenever a Monk's fist "counts as" a certain enhancement bonus, they do in fact get the to-hit and damage bonus that goes along with it. Being stuck at the Cleric THAC0 cap still hurts a bit, though. Thankfully AC capping means that you can still reach near-autohit levels with a bit of buffing.
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    I thought Monks got fighter THAC0...
    http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts#Monks

They should. Their Thac0 changes every level up to lvl 20.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    I wish we could multi/dual monks :(
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    Thanks for this strategy guide, it has inspired me to solo a monk through BG. As per my own thread (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21709/your-favourite-monk-kit#latest) I'm currently debating about which monk kit I want to play...
    @OperativeNL - I know. I posted in your thread.
    Just for your information - I am just running a DMM (CHARNAME) + Rasaad (SunSoul monk as of the new patch). Only them so far. Later, I plan to pick up some thief too, but the initial few levels, it will be just them and I am wondering how far they will be able to venture alone.

They both just hit lvl 4. Spent initial levels doing quests around Beregost and Nashkel. Throwing Daggers, now also Darts (with Rasaad) and mostly kiting. They just killed Bassilus without a scratch.
    (Nothing 2 explosive potions plus a wand of magic missiles can not handle.)

I am planning to do few things differently - for example use potions more often, get the Claw of Kazgaroth for my DMM. So far, they both look fine. If you don't care about waiting a few days, I can tell you then, how it goes on higher levels for both of these kits. Then, you can decide.
    edited October 2013
    Cool! I've got time, it's examinations next week anyway. I'd love to hear your experiences with those guys. Smart item usage certainly seems like a must when playing a monk in BG1, by the way.

Actually, having just rolled a try-out monk with throwing daggers I've noticed the throwing daggers are quite annoying to use - they have an item weight, stack only 40 at most, and they are expensive compared to any other ammunition and darts. How do you work around this? Run back and forth between the salesman every time? (It takes me around 10 throwing daggers to kill a single xvart..) Do the daggers perhaps fit inside an ammunition box or belt? If so where to find it?
    10 throwing daggers to kill a Xvart???
    I have a Dexterity score of only 17 and I kill them easily in ~ 2 hits.

Sadly, there are no ammunition boxes in BGEE. Also - as far as I remember, there were magical returning daggers in BG2, which made buying daggers by the bulk obsolete. No such luck in BGEE*. Some weapons/classes are quite neglected in BG1/BGEE. (Talking mainly about monks and daggers)

I actually carry around throwing daggers in large quantities only till around level 5-6. Then, it's easier just to dash to the enemy and pummel him with your fist. I still have some daggers in my quick weapon slot, but rarely really use them.

* I heard, that the BGNPC project mod adds a returning dagger. I loved this mod in vanilla BG as it added a lot of banter between the party members. It was not yet fully ported to BGEE. Maybe when it is, we will get an usable dagger.
    Yeah, ten daggers. Including all the misses, even with dexterity 18. Only level one though.

How is the Dark Moon Monk in v1.2 anyway? I'm interested in the cold attack ability in particular.
    I'll post a screenshot later today. I'm at work now and can't do so.
    What I remember :
    - 1 use every 4 levels (starts with 1 at 1st level) = basically a substitute for the stunning fist.
    - Lasts 1round/level (this will probably be capped somewhere...I don't see lvl 30 monks with perma-cold-bonus)
    - adds a flat +2 cold damage to your fist attacks. That basically means +4dmg/round at the end of BGEE (lvl 8, 2APR).

I will look into the Sun Soul monk's similar ability - Fire Fists (Fire fisting??) that Rasaad will get soon...which one of them is better of if they are at least similar.
    From what I can see now, the difference between DMM and SSM is mostly, that DMM is more focused on melee and defense, SSM is more about offense and has some ranged attacks.
  • Southpaw said:

What I remember :
    - 1 use every 4 levels (starts with 1 at 1st level) = basically a substitute for the stunning fist.
    - Lasts 1round/level (this will probably be capped somewhere...I don't see lvl 30 monks with perma-cold-bonus)
    - adds a flat +2 cold damage to your fist attacks. That basically means +4dmg/round at the end of BGEE (lvl 8, 2APR).

I will look into the Sun Soul monk's similar ability - Fire Fists (Fire fisting??) that Rasaad will get soon...which one of them is better of if they are at least similar.
    From what I can see now, the difference between DMM and SSM is mostly, that DMM is more focused on melee and defense, SSM is more about offense and has some ranged attacks.

Flaming Fists. In the current patch it adds 2d6 fire damage per hit, but can only be used once a day and has a very limited duration (2 rounds at level 9, 3 at 12, 4 at 15, and 5 at 25). Don't know if they buffed it, but seeing as Sun Soulray appears to be the proper replacement for Stunning Fist in the kit, it might still function the same way.
    edited October 2013
    Southpaw said:

What I remember :

Thanks. Certainly a good replacement for Stunning Fist, then. Especially the duration, if correct, is nice. So annoying to have special abilities that require a hit and only last a round, I still find that my characters miss a lot of their attacks.
    Kaigen said:

Flaming Fists. In the current patch it adds 2d6 fire damage per hit, but can only be used once a day and has a very limited duration (2 rounds at level 9, 3 at 12, 4 at 15, and 5 at 25). Don't know if they buffed it, but seeing as Sun Soulray appears to be the proper replacement for Stunning Fist in the kit, it might still function the same way.

Yeah the duration of Flaming Fist looks very botheringly short to me...

Also the fact that the damage of the other Sun Soul Monk abilities don't really scale with level (or they are capped before BG1 is over). That just makes me feel they will be next to useless later on in BG2 and ToB.