Skip to content

"I punch Dopplegangers" aka BGEE Monk guide

13»

Comments

• FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    My current experience with my DMM is that while I miss Stunning Fist, the spell like abilities are really useful. Also selling the Ring of Wizardry to buy the Dagger of Venom early was one of the best choices I could make.
  • broonofmidoribroonofmidori Member Posts: 32
    Is it possible to play with Rasaad and Dorn in your party without them killing each other? I've been thinking about playing with a monk and going the Darkmoon route. But I kind of want to try to keep a party without switching much.
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    I have ALWAYS played Good characters, and wouldn't even allow an Evil character into my party. I finally decided to play an Evil CharName, and I selected: Lawful Evil Human Female Dark Moon Monk! I've also never played a Monk before, so this is a big change from my traditional 'Goody Two-Shoes' run-throughs and I'm very excited to see how this character and my LE dialogue choices play out.

Thanks for posting this handy guide, I'm going to try some of your recommendations!

Also, is Southpaw's portrait based on Ray Stevenson?
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @TPSullivan1 - you are welcome mate. Portrait - I don't know. I got it here :)
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    My few cents: I've just finished BP2 with true class monk and I must say that I was very pleasantly suprised with effectivness of Stunning blow, that lasted even post 20th level.

The point is that usage of that ability suprisingly well evolves. For most of early levels like in BGEE, it's one day use ultimate ability to cripple bosses.

Later enemy saves rise. But so does your APR and ammout of uses per day. So you can use it multiple times per fight, mostly to get rid of immunity-lacking-yet annoying henchemen.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2014

Is it possible to play with Rasaad and Dorn in your party without them killing each other? I've been thinking about playing with a monk and going the Darkmoon route. But I kind of want to try to keep a party without switching much.

You are totally getting a response a month after you asked, but yes its possible.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited March 2014
    When it comes to bracers, I actually prefer using Bracers of AC. Unless you desperately need something to help your strength or dexterity, a bonus four (with Bracers to the Death) to your armor class is well worth the THAC0 and damage bonus trade off of the Legacy of the Master's bracers. By my (possibly wrong) calculations, a monk using all the best gear will have an incredible -9 AC at max level. (-11 if using Twinkle) And a bonus four from bracers certainly helps make that a reality. But that's just my take on it.
    Post edited by Elrandir on
    I prefer braces that give you +hit/+dmg. In both BGEE and BG2EE.
    Killing your enemy quickly is mostly the best defense and the monk's AC goes lower by itself anyway.
    You can use many other ways to get your AC low (rings, cloaks, spells, Shielding Amulet etc...) but the options to get your THAC0 lower are only a few (Strength and bracers...if without weapons, because you lose APR if you don a weapon.)

Yes. With some buffing done, the monk can have around -8AC by the end of BGEE (lvl8 - whilst most people agree, that the monks start to be really useful around lvl 9).
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I still value the extra -4 AC more. But I can totally understand your point. Personal preference, I suppose.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Southpaw Add something about this whenever you come back:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29500/how-to-make-monks-work-offensively-in-bg1-ee-with-just-one-item-really#latest

Also Rasaad's two items (the boots and gauntlets) are now only usable by Rasaad himself.
    @Elrandir‌ that sounds like a quote of Corporal "Nobby" Nobbs from books of Terry Prattchet.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    Southpaw said:

Just stumbled upon this...a monk's critical hit

What they fail to show is how that guy breaks his fist and won't be able to fight the next 2 months.

"You rolled a natural twenty, well done you just broke your fist!"
    Of course let's not forget, that:
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @SionIV If a karate master can break concrete, then a monk can punch a freaking horse without breaking their hand. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk58Iwgim-A
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Archaos said:

@SionIV If a karate master can break concrete, then a monk can punch a freaking horse without breaking their hand. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk58Iwgim-A

Notice how the karate guy hits the brick after carefully making sure to place his hand correctly? The first 20 seconds is him focusing on the spot.

And then you got the guy who quick as lighting upper cut a moving horse. With the amount of force he uses on the horse in that picture, if his fist hits wrong or slips, he'll break at least his wrist.
  • Sargon1Sargon1 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2015
    My few cents: a mini-guide on how to blaze through the early levels with little difficulty

Solo until level 5 to gain XP fast. Do not recruit any companions except Imoen for reasons I will explain later. Do the talking/easy quests to grab cheap XP. These include:

1. Everything in Candlekeep.
    2. Friendly Arm Inn: Landrin's Posessions, Joia's Stolen Ring, and Unshey's Belt.
    3. Beregost: Marl the Drunk, Mirianne's Letter, Firebead's Book.
    4. Area North of the Friendly Arm: Frightened Widow in the Fishing Village. Then you can help Tenya in The Fishermen and the Priestess. 2500XP for running around and getting spit on by ankhegs all the way. There's also a bit risky Farmer Brun(descend into the ankheg lair to the west, then go up and east, retrieve stuff from the cove, return back. Bring along a lot of healing or some invisibility, the ankhegs are mighty annoying).
    5. Area South of High Hedge: Melicamp the Chicken, and you can also try your luck(or Dagger of Venom) in Bassilus the Murderer.
    6. Nashkel Mines: Prism the Sculptor. You can make the fight a deal easier by leading Greywolf to the mine entrance. The Amnian archers there will remain glued on the spot, but will open fire on him, dealing the bulk of the damage. Don't forget to kite him away in time and land the killing blow yourself, or you won't get the XP.

All fights that may be included in these quests are winnable with some patience using throwing daggers and the monk's superior movement rate. If you complete just some of the quests, you should easily reach level 5 without too much grinding. Why is level 5 important? Because from that level on, any companion you recruit(except the new ones, Dorn, Neera, Rasaad, and Baeloth) will be on their maximum starting level, usually 6, so you can assemble a party like a proper adventurer and finally start playing the game. Granted, the monk will still be slightly inferior to a well-equipped regular close-up fighter of the same stats for all of BGEE, but he's no longer the helpless kitten he was in the very beginning, and the lack of ability will be diluted in the 6-member party.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    A lot of monk action on the boards recently!
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    For early Monks, I'd recommend using ranged weapons, as well as having one good melee weapon.

Ranged weapons are the superior choice in early BG1 but also BG1 in general. Even fighters in full plate should be using ranged weapons, there's no reason not to use one as a Monk.
    They get those proficiencies for a reason.

Monks should be played like Thieves in general. You don't just send them in and have them tank whatever.
    You hit and run. You don't stay in combat for too long.

Only in BG2 and ToB can Monks tank and just charge in and not worry too much about hits.