Skip to content

So basically you're paying for.....

Promised_painPromised_pain Member Posts: 10
Resolution mod that you can download online, engine mod that you can download online FOR FREE. But it also has couple of useless characters and "new adventure" (more like arena)

I say 'O' for Overpriced. Not worth it.
Djura83Maciak87

Comments

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    It's a permanently modded game with some additional content. Says so on the tin ;)
    Renshtalis
  • Djura83Djura83 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    Well, I would like to see bg3 from Black Isle team and noone else, since noone could make the game as good as first two games.
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Isn't this the folks behind bg witch are remaking it? At least some of them?
    Wise words! Ofcourse there is poor people witch can't afford to pay 20 usd, but then perhaps they shouldn't use their time playing games anyways? hehe
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    So,

Mods which make the game smoother and without having hassle to install them each time you re-install the game.
    DLC (included in PC version) which will add 4+ hours (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm pretty sure nearly everyone has bought DLC which added maybe 1-2 hours to a game for about $7.50
    Multiplayer which is cross-platform, how is this alone not worth $20?
    More importantly, the potential of a BG3 if people actually purchase the game.

One is personally going to buy the game for iPad and will happily pay $10 + however much for the DLC characters.

You have to remember they have ported the game to iOS, enabled hardware support, rewrote the threading and enabled hardware acceleration.

You might be disgruntled with the price but it's not that bad if you think that they might actually make a BG3 if they get enough support. Though I thoroughly believe the price tag is value for money.
    ElysRhinjavarFenghoang
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Djura83 said:

Well, I would like to see bg3 from Black Isle team and noone else, since noone could make the game as good as first two games.

Well some of the Devs that work on this enhancement worked also on the Original game.

As for the OP - this is old arguement, there is alot of information on this site - particularly in the "announcement" topics. If I were you I would devote some time to read those threads before jumping to conclusion "Not Worth It"

ElectricMonkpaulsifer42
    @Maciak87 perhaps, im in a strange humor. I gues that it was possible to read alittle ironi between the lines?
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited July 2012
    Well, people do waste more serious money for computers, glittering high speed Cars which eat away petrol faster as lightning, football trading cards *lol* Not to forget the 1000 + 1 variants of different colsole systems like xbox, playstation 3, WII...

The amount of money which is necessary for buying the Enhanced Edition is compared with what we have to pay for everyday's life nearly unimportant in a direct size comparison.

And if you are students or school visitors.. sometimes asking us parents for a bit of money should work without problems :D

God.. i am already so old.. its disappointing :P
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    Ok, I'm a BG fan but...
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/264/241/9e9.gif
    Finally a BG without bug, with high resolutions, new areas, kits like in BG2, subraces and more, for just 18$!!!
    And so on for BG2 and (maybe) BG3!
    Rhinjavar
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @IkonNavros Indeed, $20 is hardly bank breaking, a couple of hours mowing random peoples lawns should cover it, and people of any age can do that. Also as you have now claimed to be really old I shall now always imagine you as an ancient wizard with a 5 foot beard :)
    IkonNavros
  • Kesselring1987Kesselring1987 Member Posts: 9
    I thinks this post should be closed...
    Ulfgar_Torunnpaulsifer42Renshtalis
    edited July 2012
    cmorgan said:

Errr... for folks who drop $50+USD for modern games with a third of the potential playtime, the total cost of the game is very, very cheap - to put it in perspective, 1600 BioWare points is $20, to be spent on a random number generator creating a mix of useless consumables and long-term upgrades. Or a DLC that adds some new weapons and fuzzy dice for the dashboard of the Normandy.

With an updated engine, prospect of new professionally created content through additional DLC, older mods still able to be engaged, new interest, a clean way of creating an NPC who can go through the whole series under a cleaned up and bugfixed stable platform, with modders having access to the devs in a collaborative way, the PC cost of the game is very, very worth it to any of us diehards who have already purchased the 5CD set, the 3CD set, the Atari, and eventually the GOG distributions. So even before we get to the long term goal of supporting a company that will create a BG3, I am really happy this is happening.

If the pushback is because mods are free and potential new DLC (paid-for professional mods), well, cool - I agree no one has to leave the older games with the community-built fixes and free mods. But I can say from personal experience it is a long road for most mods to make it to the public. So if a professional wants to get cash for her/his actual workday time, I am glad to support it. DRM on a $20 game is not going to be $20. Us amateurs can still provide additional free content. Cool stuff all around.

@cmorgan
    Good post. modern games promise roughly 30-40 hours of game play... while in Bg1 offer much much more than that and in a cheaper price.

Also, while people leaning on the fact that there are mods that are free, they forget that Thanks to BG:EE we will see more free mods and even better ones as the Devs share alot of information with the modding community.

Knettgummi
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    - If you have a PC, it's only $18. If you don't have a PC, you will now be able to play it without requiring an emulator.
    - The interface will be more improved than could be done through simple mods.
    - The new NPCs now also come with their own areas and quests.
    - There will also be new portraits and voices for your PC to pick.
    - There's the new dungeon.
    - There's going to be another questline more integrated with the current story.

All in all that sounds pretty interesting to me.

PS. I disagree with the view that you're basically prepaying for BG3. You should invest the $18/$20 if you think BGEE is worth it. If that provides enough profit to continue with BG2EE and eventually BG3, then that would be awesome, but not directly related.
    RhinjavarTanthalasbgplayaGarm
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    We are getting new content equivalent to around 20 hours....some games aren't even that long. We're getting new music, new characters, new maps, updated engine to work on new platforms. It's awesome!
    mch202IkonNavrosRhinjavar
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    That RPS article seems to have attracted quite a bit of attention.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Thels said:

- If you have a PC, it's only $18. If you don't have a PC, you will now be able to play it without requiring an emulator.
    - The interface will be more improved than could be done through simple mods.
    - The new NPCs now also come with their own areas and quests.
    - There will also be new portraits and voices for your PC to pick.
    - There's the new dungeon.
    - There's going to be another questline more integrated with the current story.

All in all that sounds pretty interesting to me.

PS. I disagree with the view that you're basically prepaying for BG3. You should invest the $18/$20 if you think BGEE is worth it. If that provides enough profit to continue with BG2EE and eventually BG3, then that would be awesome, but not directly related.

Personally, its worth $18 to me for multiplayer capability fixes, then you consider cross-platform multiplayer.

As far as the BG3 view, I would donate $20 to production of a new BG series game easily if that means it will be created in the future ;D
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Djura83 said:

You DO know that is wasn't Black Isle who made BG1 and BG2 right? They were just the publishers...
    It was made by Bioware and in part, by the guys who now run Overhaul.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Originally owned disc sets of BG1 and 2 as well as their expansions.

I recently found all of the IE games (IWD1+2, BG1+2, PS:T) on sale through the Impulse distribution for less than $3 total including tax. I don't think I'll be buying this any time soon. If reviews show that the new content is indeed professionally made, I'll consider it. For now I'll stick with the usability and content mods I can get for free.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Resolution mod that you can download online, engine mod that you can download online FOR FREE. But it also has couple of useless characters and "new adventure" (more like arena)

Resolution mods don't make the resolutions native to the game, often just don't look good, and don't allow zooming in or out.

Most engine mods are clunky or require multiple steps and active effort on the player's part, and require both BG1 & 2 to be installed. EE will install as a singular package with no modding or directory referencing required.

No mod that I'm aware of can streamline multiplayer connectivity or add matchmaking. BG:EE does both.

"Useless" is subjective. These are brand new characters made to a professional standard for writing, voice acting, and artwork.

The NPC's themselves have personal quest that explore new areas, include new encounters, and span several hours of gameplay. Further, I believe there's going to be an additional quest that you can undertake that is related to the Bhaalspawn main story. Again, all this is crafted to a professional, rather than amateur, standard.

There's also a new class kit and new items, which we can expect the devs to at least make a concerted effort to balance appropriately against other classes and items.

You're getting a massively overhauled version of a classic game. If you don't want it, do not buy it. That's fine. However, I think you're disregarding a lot of quality effort on Overhaul's part for no real reason.
    tpowlFenghoangGarm
  • tpowltpowl Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2012
    I totally agree with what Schneidend said. And besides, I've never really given effort to play the original BG1 and BG2 due to resolution limitation. Well time has come to really throw myself into BG1 !
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60
    I can't tell you how many times my friend and I have tried to share a Baldur's Gate adventure only to have headaches along the way. You have to typically go through a third party client like gamespy or gamehunter or hamachi, and even in game there are pausing bugs and lag to worry about.

To me the $18/20 is worth it based simply on the fixes to the multiplayer. You also have to consider the overall smoothness of the game once the code is actually cleaned up. Mods cannot do everything with the limitations of the old code. Overhaul is making the code easier for modders to, well, mod. I don't want to have to install unofficial bug fixes evertime I reinstall BG either lol.
  • SalkSalk Member Posts: 62
    Djura83 said:

Black Isle was a rib of Interplay and was closed down in 2003.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

There are already "this product is overpriced" threads on here. Why not post on one of them instead? Heck, then you might actually read what has been written by people already on this.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    I'm not sure what wisdom there is posting on a forum for a game you seem to have already decided not to buy based on price. I'd consider it a steal even if all they decided to do was a straight port to all these new devices (new control schemes for touch displays notwithstanding). All the rest is icing AND the prospect of a BGIII makes me left wishing Beamdog all the revenue they can get from this!!
    GarmQuartz
    Samiel said:

I'm not sure what wisdom there is posting on a forum for a game you seem to have already decided not to buy based on price.

This User doesnt seem to respond to this thread nor anywhere else, it just look like he busted the door, shouted what he had in mind and left..