Skip to content

Mage party

2»

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Mathuzzz I thought you meant unmodded BGEE, not BG1. Sorry.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    Madhax said:

@Mathuzzz I thought you meant unmodded BGEE, not BG1. Sorry.

I wanted the original game challenge, BG:EE has new additions from BG2.
    Well, it looks like I have some serious problems. I don´t know whether it is some bug with the game, but I bought wands of sleep and fear....and they don´t work. That makes things difficult, because I spent like 6000-7000 gold on them (actually all the gold I was hoarding) and took the wands as my only powerful tool at beginning. I went to clear all the killers in towns, but without success. They all had save vs wand against Wand of Sleep every single time for maybe 30 reloads. Whats worse (and what makes me think it is a bug) is Wand of Fear. It made them yellow, they didn´t save and still acted normally. And by normally I mean, they attacked/chased/cast spells. I know that even with fear, enemies would attack from time to time, but they definitely don´t cast spells. I don´t remember having this problem with the game before.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Mathuzzz said:

TOTSC areas are going to be the biggest challenge, especially the mentioned Karoug.

Nope, Have everyone stock up on Magic missile before the fight and then attrition his posse if you don't mind metagaming a bit. 24d4+24 per round anybody? Or better yet, cast fire resist on everyone and use a fire resist potion. 42d6 in a room with mages immune to fire should do the trick!

At least in vanilla I've found he's very susceptible to magic. Resistance =/= immunity.
    It has been a while, I had to interrupt the game for a some time, but here I am standing on the streets of Baldur´s Gate :) I haven´t touched TOTSC areas and skipped plenty of vanilla areas also (Firewine, lighthouse coast area and some less interesting wilderness areas.
    About the difficulty, Cloakwood forest/mines, together with Ulcaster were probably the most frustrating. However all three chapter-end fights were piece of cake and overall human parties are no challenge.

My question, however, is, can I take Quayle to my party? I have one party slot free and he is the last mage in the game. I was thinking, that I would take him, but empty his priest scroll and use only weapons mages are allowed to use, but still, he is no pure mage. What do you think?
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Soloing with a mage is easy.

Have 16 con and memorize polymorph self. Kill everything in Spider / Gnoll or Jelly form, swap forms between human and mondter to heal up from con loss and gain.

Well, I forget thats with a swashmage or kensage. Pure mages are weaklings, but levelling up a swashbuckler or kensai solo aint any easier.