Skip to content

I finished Durlags Tower for the first time (Spoiler Alert)

Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 380
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
First thing I tried was destroying the mirror. The demon knight (every time) was killed by all the fiends that came out. It was difficult but I managed to destroy the fiends too after many attempts. In my other reloads I tried killing him without the mirror but I would fail every time somehow.

I was disappointed to discover that there is 'ending xp reward' for clearing the tower and because I couldn't kill the demon knight with my party I didn't get the xp for killing him.

What I have learned from this experience are the following three things:

1) It really does make a difference if you don't have a cleric or a druid in the party.

2) When dealing with one bad-ass enemy, it helps to summon a bunch of little enemies to distract him while you hit him with missile weapons. I had forgotten this lesson from BG2.

3) Pathfinding SUCKS in Durlag's tower. Everywhere else I've gone I rarely have issues (including in other dungeons) but in Durlag's Tower my peeps feel obligated to go the wrong direction to get into trouble.
Post edited by mlnevese on

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't have a Cleric in my party and I never found the Demon Knight to be too much of a challenge (Core difficulty).

- Have your attackers drink whatever combat buff potions you want, and Haste them (or drink Oil of Speed).
    - Have your melee attackers wear the Ring of Fire Protection and drink a Potion of Fire Resistance.
    - In the beginning have your party stand out of range of the Demon Knight. The first thing the Demon Knight does is cast Dispel. Send one of your non-attacking characters into range of the Demon Knight and then run up one of the side stairs. His Dispel will hit that character but won't affect your attackers with all the buffs, essentially wasting his spell.
    - Then hit the Demon Knight with everything you've got. His first attack will be to do a Fireball centered on himself (I guess that's technically a Sunfire spell), hence giving fire protection to your melee characters. For me that's usually the only attack he has a chance to get in, because I kill him so quickly using this method.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Hmm it's been a long time since I played BG EE, and I've only played it once, so I don't remember what I did exactly, but I am pretty sure I managed to kill him on my second attempt. I definitely did destroy the mirror cos I never faced any evil clones. Certainly I found him easier than the Greater Wolfwere and Aec'Letec. Why do you need a Cleric or Druid? I only had Jaheira (all canon party), and don't remember doing anything fancy with her...

If I remember correctly, the key thing I did in my second and successful attempt was to divide my party into 3 teams of 2, so my whole party doesn't get screwed by one cc spell. I think I did use summons though. Summons are almost always useful.
    Awong124 said:

I don't have a Cleric in my party and I never found the Demon Knight to be too much of a challenge (Core difficulty).

- Have your attackers drink whatever combat buff potions you want, and Haste them (or drink Oil of Speed).

Oh yeah... I thought this would be the last "boss" before Sarevok (didn't know about Aec)... so I pretty much threw everything at him that I had been hoarding throughout the game up till this point. Potions, wands, scrolls, fancy arrows... you name it. Maybe that's why I found him relatively easy lol.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I still had plenty of potions left over for Aec'Letec after this battle.
    @Awong124
    Oh, me too, of course. I just meant I 'unleashed' the full arsenal for the first time against him. Before this point I was consciously conserving resources cos I didn't know what to expect in the future, and I am an obsessive hoarder like that.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,987
    edited September 2013
    a couple of weeks ago I fought this guy with the canon party and I got my ass handed to me multiple multiple times, even drawing out the dispel magic to dynaheir, demon knight casted fireball, then used power word stun ( which apparently doesn't matter how many HP you have, you get stunned regardless) then he whackity whack whacks stunned dude and chunks him, and if Minsc even thought of going near that guy, doop a doop power word kill ( which does 120 damage for some weird reason.....) so yeah, that fight was brutal with the canon team, every other time I fought him with a different team, I freight trained that clown, but for some weird reason, unstoppable hatred for my canon team ( and this is all on the insane difficulty which doesn't really matter because its just the scripting and impossible spell effects from power word stun and power word kill)
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    I *hate* Aec'Letec.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    I find DK the most difficult encounter, given his spells and his MR which makes your spells and wands useless against him. If your melee characters fall, your only chance to bring him down is with critcal hits. Luck plays a too large part in this battle for my liking. With Karoug and Aec'Letec, with the correct buffs and spells, you are guaranteed to win every time.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 380
    Why was this moved from 'General Discussion' into 'New Members Welcome Area'? I thought a 'New Members Welcome Area' was for people introducing themselves, not normal discussion with other players. I'm not a 'noob' who was asking for help. I was a player who was sharing his experience and looking for other people to share theirs.

You know, now that I think about it, I may have finished Durlag's Tower at some point previously because I remember doing the soultaker quest in Ulgoth's Beard.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Moving thread to general due to spoilers.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    It does make a big difference if you don't have a cleric or some type of healer in the party. The same can be said with a thief, they're a must have with all of the traps and locked chests that you encounter.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Here's a tip:

Toss on Kiel's helmet, which nullifies the curse of...
    the goblet you find on level two, which instantly restores all HP. It even has multiple charges!
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I'm looking forward to my second trip to Durlag's. I've only played it once before and it was like 4-5 years ago so I don't really remember it.