Skip to content

UPDATE 24.09.2013 Rasaad in BG2:EE

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
There’s been a lot of debate about Rasaad and his lack of power in BG:EE. Let’s see what happens in BG2:EE.

It is now confirmed (http://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/1mv2oh/anyone_have_questions_about_bgiiee/)
his ability scores will stay the same, so

Rasaad (total 85)
Str: 16 which means +1 damage, 150 lbs
Dex: 16 which means -2 AC/ +1 range
Con: 14 which means no bonuses
Int: 11 which means no bonuses
Wis: 14 which means no bonuses
Cha: 14 which means no bonuses

It wasn’t good enough for BG1, so it’s not good enough for BG2 too.

With natural monk advantages*** Rasaad is no longer a liability.

***speaking about it, let's look closely:

- 9th level: +1 to all saves. Immune to charm. The fist is considered a +1 weapon (+2 at 12th, +3 at 15th).
- 11th level: Immune to poison.
- 12th level: Another -1 to speed factor.
- 14th level: The monk gains 3% magic resistance per level (ie. 42% at 14th level, caps out at 78%).
- 20th level: Immune to non-magical weapons.
- TOB: 21st level: AC bonuses slow to every 3 levels
- TOB: 25th level: Fists become +4 weapons
- TOB: 30th level: AC bonuses slow to every 5 levels

I also expect some new specific items that improve his ability scores and/or give another bonuses.

EDIT: Rasaad apparently won't be able to use Keldorn's Armor so has to rely on his natural (improving with levels) AC.

But it does still worth to mention that Rasaad as a Sun Soul Monk won’t be able to use a Quivering Palm ability (as well as a Stunning Blow ability). From my point of view it’s a great disadvantage and his kit-specific abilities don’t make up for it.

No amount of damage can be equivalent to “the save or die attack”, especially if the enemy next to Rasaad is a dragon or another tough boss.

It is somehow sad that while in BG:EE it is much better when Rasaad has a kit, in BG2:EE it’s vice-versa, especially taking into account that officially he’ll have a kit and to un-kit him we’ll have to use a mod (that will 100% appear) – we’ve experienced the same (but vice-versa) all these months.

So, Rasaad in BG2:EE won’t be a liability but still there will be a lot of debate on whether he’s effective enough or not.

I'll be glad to hear other ideas.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• QueynosQueynos Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 127
    As with every monk you can give him bracer of AC3, that combined with his monk AC bonuses will give him pretty good AC.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    you don't need to worry about monk's AC, it will become very good very quickly and there are lots of items to reduce it further. on a monk charname of mine in bg2 he was down to -10 with ring of the gaxx, cloak of the sewers and ring of earth control. then with ilbratha's special ability he got mirror image once a day too.

also strength is easily modified with belts, potions and spells and constitution can be buffed with the girdle/potion of fortitude.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The BG2 fixpack already removes the ability of monks to use Keldorn's armour.

"Firecam Full-Plate Armor: Now unusable by neutrals (lawful-chaotic axis), neutrals (good-evil axis), evils, chaotics, half-orcs, monks, and gnomes. Minimum stat requirements are also altered slightly to restrict this to Keldorn more strictly."

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think the problem is Rasaad has nothing exceptional. The best characters always have something that makes them special. Then you can try and cover their weak points however you like. For example, Korgan has exceptional constitution, and not too bad strength. His weak dexterity can be played around, and he's worth the trouble due to the con. Rasaad however is Joe Average all round.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    There is no lack of power, there is a lack of power-gaming, hence why people dislike him. He's fine as is as has been proven several times.

Monks are an evolving class (similar to a Barbarian)...they start with 1 playstyle and slowly transition into another, from a hit/fade fragile speedster (ranged focus optional), into a nigh unstoppable engine of blisteringly quick physical death-dealing.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Monk class is fine. It's one of the best in BG2. I'd like to point out, nonetheless, they hardly change their style. It's "run - punch - run - punch".

But a Sun Soul kit is not a vanilla kit. And Rasaad's stats are not the stats you choose if creating the main character - a monk. It's really hard to take him as he is.

Having been thinking about it for a while I come to a conclusion that including Rasaad into a party in BG2 will be done, in my case, only due to RP-reasons and my desire to see how his questline is developed. And when I think about any other NPC it's not only up to these reasons.

So I have to agree with @FinneousPJ.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Isn't the general consensus that Monks of a certain level quickly go from being a weakling to being an overpowered demigod? On the surface Rasaad doesn't have the same kind of stats you would optimally roll for a monk, but I actually like that: It means he won't outshine Charname. He'll still be an nigh-untouchable ultra-fast whirlwind of +4 claymore hands.

Haer'Dalis has pretty crappy stats too, but that doesn't stop plenty of people from taking him along.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

There is no lack of power, there is a lack of power-gaming, hence why people dislike him. He's fine as is as has been proven several times.

Monks are an evolving class (similar to a Barbarian)...they start with 1 playstyle and slowly transition into another, from a hit/fade fragile speedster (ranged focus optional), into a nigh unstoppable engine of blisteringly quick physical death-dealing.

This. His stat total is 85 which is in no way low. But since it's spread rather evenly between multiple stats, rather than tanking the "useless" stats, powergamers no likey.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    at least he'll be useful against undead (with his sun soul abilities). plus I think he'd make a great puller what with his increased speed and AC later on. he may not be frontline material but he'd make a great support warrior. plus, i want to see how his (and the other new npcs) stories develop in bg2:ee. definitely gonna keep him and the other new ones for RP purposes. i'm sure he'll be fine =)
  • The thing is, as you get into higher levels in BG2, base stats become less and less important. As @mjs points out, you have plenty of strength boosting items to make up for that shortfall. In addition, AC will be taken care of by Monk bonuses, and Con bonuses stop at level 10 and are capped at non-Fighter levels for Monks anyway, which means Rasaad isn't missing out on much HP.

The comparison @madhax makes to Haer'dalis is apt. Mediocre stats are irrelevant if the character is in a powerful class, and by mid BG2, Monk certainly qualifies as such.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited September 2013
    Never played a Monk in the 2E games, but I tried one in a NWN premium module and she was basically ripping Balors apart with her bare hands at level 16...
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Are they making him into a Sun Soul kit for BGEE2? I'm surprised he wasn't in the first game after they added in the kit, since his dialogue goes on about him being one.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Are they making him into a Sun Soul kit for BGEE2? I'm surprised he wasn't in the first game after they added in the kit, since his dialogue goes on about him being one.

They're fixing that in the next BG:EE patch - he'll be a Sun Soul Monk.

shawne said:

Oh excellent to know. Know if that will be a retroactive fix or only on a new playthrough? I should probably hold off on my current run that has him if its not retroactive.
  • QueynosQueynos Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 127
    Dee said:

Jorkan said:

When will we find out more information about the new patch? I want to wait until the patch comes out before starting a new game that I'll use for importation in to BG2EE.

Here are a few highlights that have been posted elsewhere on the forums--this is by no means an exhaustive list, so if you don't see something you're hoping for on this list, that isn't a sign that it won't be in the patch, I'm just listing from memory:

- Tethtoril will now properly relinquish his (borrowed) Identify scroll. Does anyone know what he was doing with it in the first place?
    - Wyverns can now be killed with impunity without crashing the game.
    - Every race and class now has a default set of colors during character creation (so that, for example, a Shadowdancer looks different from a Swashbuckler, and a sorcerer looks different from a mage). We tried to use some colors that aren't currently in the color selector, to offer a bit more variety.
    - Rasaad is now a Sun Soul Monk.

That's a fraction of a fraction of the things you'll see in this patch. Bug fixes, UI enhancements, gameplay tweaks... There's a lot to look forward to here.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20476/ask-us-anything-volume-3/p13
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

shawne said:

Oh excellent to know. Know if that will be a retroactive fix or only on a new playthrough? I should probably hold off on my current run that has him if its not retroactive.
    It's not retroactive, no. If you've already seen him in the game, he won't be a sun soul monk until you start a new one.
    Thanks Dee, between that and other stuff above, I guess its time to join the impatient waiting with everyone else for the patch. :)
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Wait, where did you hear that Rasaad's stats will stay the same in BG2? I could've sworn the devs said something about BG2 NPCs having higher stats and that the new NPCs will be adjusted accordingly.

Personally, I think Rasaad's stats are fine in BG1, but he suffers from monks being bad at low-levels. If his stats stay the same, his class will be fine in BG2, but he'll suffer from low stats compared to other npcs.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I am fully confident that regardless of any stat changes Rasaad will become a whirlwind of bloody destruction in BG2:EE, despite any protestations of his peaceful nature.

Monk, like mages, start all squishy and then become diamond-tipped drillbits to shred your foes. They're a bit boring to play though.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @CutlassJack
    It isn't difficult to edit Rasaad into a Sun Soul Monk manually via EEKeeper if you don't want to wait. I did so months ago, when the kit was first introduced.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Jarrakul said:

Wait, where did you hear that Rasaad's stats will stay the same in BG2? I could've sworn the devs said something about BG2 NPCs having higher stats and that the new NPCs will be adjusted accordingly.

Personally, I think Rasaad's stats are fine in BG1, but he suffers from monks being bad at low-levels. If his stats stay the same, his class will be fine in BG2, but he'll suffer from low stats compared to other npcs.

It's been mentioned somewhere on the forum and I've got an official confirmation:
    "9.Will any of the new NPCs from BGEE have stat changes like Viconia and Edwin in BG->BG2?"

"9) This was done to fix problems with BG1 NPCs' original stats, but the new NPCs have much more functional stats, so there's no real need".

http://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/1mv2oh/anyone_have_questions_about_bgiiee/

SO, Dorn, Rasaad and Neera will have in BG2:EE exactly those stats they have in BG:EE.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited September 2013
    Well, the new BGEE NPCs will get - no new portraits for BG2EE, no new stats for BG2EE, no new items for BG2EE compared to Jaheira, Minsc, Vicky, Eddy etc. The new Thief NPC girl is Neutral alignet, not Evil as was promised...
    That sucks. Really.

Any good news?
    edited September 2013
    DarkDogg said:

Well, the new BGEE NPCs will get - no new portraits for BG2EE, no new stats for BG2EE, no new items for BG2EE compared to Jaheira, Minsc, Vicky, Eddy etc. The new Thief NPC girl is Neutral alignet, not Evil as was promised...
    That sucks. Really.

Any good news?

Well, there WILL be new portraits for BG2EE, as @Dee has pointed out and you can see a new one (a dwarven one) in the screenshots. There will be more.

There WILL be new items for BG2EE, that's 100% sure. As Kaelore says on reddit.com "New content is anything new we've added, NPCs, quests, items, etcetera.". There will be a vast pool of new items, both special for new NPCs and for everyone.

The alignment of Hexxat is still not obvious. It's MY understanding that she is neutral, it's not confirmed. But I have a strong feeling she's not evil - and the reasons are obvious (read not only my point of view but also http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19241/bg2-ee-no-evil-thief-please/p1 on this topic).

No one "promised" an evil thief. Trent Oster said "BG2 needs a good single class thief" - no pointing to her evil alignment.

But I don't see ANY problem here - a neutral thief can suit ANY party, including an evil one.

And good news ... Well, if much improved graphics, 350,000 words of new content, 30 new areas, the fact that a large variety of mods will be compatible from day one (Ascension, SCS and many-many others), smooth multiplayer ("super awesome") is not enough... I don't know what can be enough.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited September 2013
    I have faith Hexxat will be evil, because otherwise my hope for the future of humanity will be lost.

My logic is flawless.

Wasn't there also Trent responding to the fact that there is no evil-aligned thief with 'Yeah, we should sort that." or something. It was on one of reddit things. I might be misremembering.

EDIT: I can't find it anymore, so it seems likely I am just misremembering. Still, I hope for teh evulz.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    As a monk, the only stats that matters are

STR
    DEX
    CON

STR 16 is the easiest to improve (Strength spell, belts, gloves...) so his 16 STR is more than fine.
    DEX 16 is alright (+2 out of a maximum of +4... and you can give him the 18 dex Gloves if you really need to)
    CON 14 instead of 16 means he loses at best 18 HP (Since past level 9, CON has no effect).
    Hardly noticeable (At level 20, with CON 16+ he'd have an average of 80,5 HP (62,5 HP currently)... with maximized HP per level, he'd have 112 HP (94 Currently)

edited September 2013

I have faith Hexxat will be evil, because otherwise my hope for the future of humanity will be lost.

My logic is flawless.

Wasn't there also Trent responding to the fact that there is no evil-aligned thief with 'Yeah, we should sort that." or something. It was on one of reddit things. I might be misremembering.

EDIT: I can't find it anymore, so it seems likely I am just misremembering. Still, I hope for teh evulz.

The void I'd rather see her covering is female Bisexual romance option. So I'd rather she be a neutral alignment, because it will send a very odd message if all bisexual characters in the game are evil. :P
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    bengoshi said:

Well, there WILL be new portraits for BG2EE, as @Dee has pointed out and you can see a new one (a dwarven one) in the screenshots. There will be more.

I mean new style portraits for Rassad, Neera, Dorn. Like Jaheira's, Minsc's etc BG1>BG2 style.
    No doubt they'll add 3 or 4 new custom IWD style portraits like in BGEE, but most of the people don't use them (user screeshots). There is a plenty of awesome pics here http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5339/alternate-npc-and-pc-portraits-because-i-m-bored-while-waiting-for-more-patches-to-come-out-p#latest
    bengoshi said:

There WILL be new items for BG2EE, that's 100% sure. As Kaelore says on reddit.com "New content is anything new we've added, NPCs, quests, items, etcetera.". There will be a vast pool of new items, both special for new NPCs and for everyone.

We'll see. It would be great if they add some items like Valygar's personal Korthala stuff. But to be honest I'm 100% sure it doesn't happen. Rasaad's boots maybe.
    bengoshi said:

The alignment of Hexxat is still not obvious. It's MY understanding that she is neutral, it's not confirmed. But I have a strong feeling she's not evil - and the reasons are obvious (read not only my point of view but also http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19241/bg2-ee-no-evil-thief-please/p1 on this topic).

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11656/we-need-a-thief-npc-in-bg2-ee/p1
    There are only 4 evil NPCs in BG2EE and only 5 in ToB
    Good NPCs = 9, Neutral NPCs = 8
    And the only evil thief in the whole game is Montaron. Half-thief though (
    bengoshi said:

And good news ... Well, if much improved graphics, 350,000 words of new content, 30 new areas, the fact that a large variety of mods will be compatible from day one (Ascension, SCS and many-many others), smooth multiplayer ("super awesome") is not enough... I don't know what can be enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdOskrv5AVc
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    bengoshi said:

DarkDogg said:

That sucks. Really.

Any good news?

No one "promised" an evil thief. Trent Oster said "BG2 needs a good single class thief" - no pointing to her evil alignment.

But I don't see ANY problem here - a neutral thief can suit ANY party, including an evil one.

Not to quibble too much but the point was the new NPCs are not getting BG2ized portraits, they are using their same BGEE portraits. If you saw a dwarf portrait, wasn't that on charname not on one of the new NPCs?

The point of the post was saying how the new NPCs won't get new gear or anything special in BGEE. You are probably right that "There will be a vast pool of new items, both special for new NPCs and for everyone." but that seems to be speculation based on the quote you made which doesn't mention this specifically: "New content is anything new we've added, NPCs, quests, items, etcetera.". - liam
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @CutlassJack, you make a very persuasive argument. As much as I'd like an evil female thief, it is kind of important not to fall into the depraved bisexual trope.