Skip to content

Poor Yoshi! (Major Spoilers)

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
As everyone knows there is a new thief in town: a young lady by the name of Hexxat. Will this make Yoshimo the most redundant NPC of all time?

When BG2:EE arrives will Yoshimo still find a place in your party?
  1. Poor Yoshi! (Major Spoilers)120 votes
    1. Yes I will still take Yoshimo. I like the guy. And it always takes me by surprise when he turns on me.
      20.00%
    2. No. I won't take Yoshimo. Why would I hang out with a guy who I know is going to sell me out.
      12.50%
    3. I never took Yoshimo in the first place. He can go dance on the head of a pin for all I care.
      13.33%
    4. I've already decided I'm not taking Hexxat. She's got a silly name, funny hair and I don't like her shoes.
        2.50%
    5. I'll take Hexxat and Yoshimo. You can never have too many thieves.
        6.67%
    6. This poll is badly constructed and the answers are loaded.
      14.17%
    7. Show me who is winning.
      30.83%

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    My answer is short and diplomatic:
    It depends.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    nearly always, if I'm using a party. (In lieu of a mod to do otherwise, I just add him back to party once I've finished his little post-spellhold side quest, he was supposed to comeback, and it is a travesty that his planned questline was cut).
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I really don't know...Yoshimo is a pretty good thief and does well enough until you get Imoen back, but I think that I'll just take the new girl on my first run just for the hell of it.
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    edited September 2013
    yeah :(

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    edited September 2013
    Depends on the party composition, of course. But I'm not changing my habits just because it's suddenly called an Enhanced Edition.
    Post edited by Montresor_SP on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I will probably take Yoshi to Spellhold for the drama of it all, but Hex will be my main thief. I will probably play the Underdark with a 5-person band of Charname, Dorn, Hexxat, Edwin/a and Viconia, since Imoen sadly met a tragic end in Spellhold at my, I mean Irenicus' hands. Yes, that is what I meant.
  • BarzarelBarzarel Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2013
    Wouldn't it kind of depend a bit on how useful the other rogue is, plus she might have some catch to her to. Whole idea about Yoshi being the only pure NPC rogue earlier on in that game was to have players bring him along then get betrayed later on. I guess those who know about this might bring her along if she is useful, but imagine there will be some catch there, since I imagine they thought about this.
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2013
    I was almost expecting Mario's brother to be in some sort of trouble just now but I guess I was wrong. I might find a place for Yoshimo, or Hexxat could be my replacement for when Yoshi dies in a complete and utterly surprising spectacle created by myself and the two other mages.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Barzarel said:

Wouldn't it kind of depend a bit on how useful the other rogue is, plus she might have some catch to her to. Whole idea about Yoshi being the only pure NPC rogue earlier on in that game was to have players bring him along then get betrayed later on. I guess those who know about this might bring her along if she is useful, but imagine there will be some catch there, since I imagine they thought about this.

Wasn't he actually not supposed to be permanently lost in the original idea, and Imoen was supposed to die in Spellhold? I have no idea how much truth there is to that though, but it is a perspective I see quoted a lot in these parts.
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    I expect that many of those who use Yoshimo are doing it because they are planning to replace him with Imoen in Spellhold.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The poll seems to assume that we'll each play the game only once! The reason BG has survived so long is that it's designed to be played many times with different protagonists and parties.

In runs when I'm planning to keep Imoen after rescuing her (which is more often than not), then it'll often continue to make sense to take along Yoshimo until his storyline creates the "natural vacancy" for Imoen to fill shortly afterwards. In occasional runs when I'm not planning to keep Imoen, then there might be room for Hexxat. Actually I've already got a couple of dozen different runs through BG2ee planned out (which will keep me busy for a long time!), and I foresee Hexxat as a definite companion in only one of them, and as a possible companion in one or two others.

Of course, in order to explore her storyline fully, I'll make one of my fairly-early runs through BG2ee one in which Hexxat will have a permanent slot. Probably not in my first couple of runs, however: first I want to see what happens to the other new NPCs whom we met in BGee, and I can't use all of them in one party.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2013
    I find most of the NPC thieves to have horrible skill distribution... I feel more comfortable using Multiplayer to have a 2nd charname there that might serve no purpose beyond using thief skills...

And Yoshimo suffered at this role due to his kit having slightly limited thief skills per level.

I think only 2 thieves with a decent skill distribution are Skie and Jan...
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Wanted to see the winner.

And bringing yoshi surely depends on my current imoen plans so it would differ a lot.

As most people I would try the new one despite her bad hair and shoes.

And also yoshi gives great XP when returning to the city.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    i'll bring Yoshi along strictly for RP purposes. i'd rather not see him get ripped apart by Slayer Imoen O.o
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Even if I'm playing a thief myself or using Jan Jansen I often bring Yoshimo along because his betrayal is an intrinsic part of the story. He betrays you, you stick his black heart in your shiny new bag of holding and redeem it at a later date.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Corvino said:

He betrays you, you stick his black heart in your shiny new bag of holding and redeem it at a later date.

Or drop it on the ground in the sewers.
  • I almost always take Yoshimo because he's charming, has fun banters with other NPCs, conveniently holds a place for Imoen (who I almost always take), and adds to the story. I also like using SHS's Yoshimo Friendship mod to deepen things a bit.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think it kind of depends on when/where Hexxat is to be found. If she is available right out of Chez Irenicus, that will be a tough call. Then it will depend on what alignment we are talking about. A good party will still either be Yoshi or Jan. An evil party might get Hexxat. Wait and see.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited September 2013
    Once again, overly-complex and unnecessarily baited options result in a useless poll.

I'm taking Hexxat instead of Yoshimo, but not because I know he'll betray me - it's because she's meant to be a better fit for an evil party and I want to play her storyline.
    Post edited by shawne on
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    On my first playthrough I took yoshimo only because I couldn't find another thief. I knew he was trouble, he was the only person that wanted to side with bhodi, and he was suppose to be this random dude just waiting in irenicus's dungeon? I though not. I was not really surprised when he turned on me, and I'm not partial to the bounty hunter kit anyway.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    shawne said:

Once again, overly-complex and unnecessarily baited options result in a useless poll.

I'm taking Hexxat instead of Yoshimo, but not because I know he'll betray me - it's because she's meant to be a better fit for an evil party and I want to play her storyline.

This. I've been waiting so long to finally have an all evil party and not being forced to make charname a thief.
    @KidCarnival has this been your evil plan all along? With Dorn, Korgan, Viconia, Edwin and Hexxat you'll only really need a secondary caster and utility character to round off the group...

You may be a Paladin of Helm now, but we know you have a lute secretly tucked away somewhere, ready for your Bardic excursions!
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    My NE Blade is itching to meet Hexxat (as much as it will break Dorn's heart, I'm afraid)...
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    When I play a thief I find that Yoshimo is great dualed to a fighter. So if I do take the new thief then I'll probably just run Yoshi like that until we have to say our goodbyes.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    My Charnames normally send a long wooden pin dancing through Yoshimo's head the moment they encounter him. Or tear him to pieces, in case the Charname in question has not yet mastered the bow.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Corvino said:

@KidCarnival has this been your evil plan all along? With Dorn, Korgan, Viconia, Edwin and Hexxat you'll only really need a secondary caster and utility character to round off the group...

You may be a Paladin of Helm now, but we know you have a lute secretly tucked away somewhere, ready for your Bardic excursions!

@Corvino: I indeed plan to start BG2EE with my jester, but lutes are so... subtle. I was thinking of a TAMBOURINE OF DOOM as special weapon to compliment the jester song, and restrict my arcane spells to the Delusion school (free Instant World Domination spell/day per level).

Forsooth, methinks I have taken too many blows to the head! Next I'll be having delusions of grandeur!
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited September 2013
    I always take him two times in every playtrough. Out of the dungeons to carry cheap loot. And just before i go to spellhold (maybe i give him cursed items this time )

Jan Janssen is my main thief and Valygar my backstabber. Jan is just the coolest NPC name ever, its the most common first and last name in the Netherlands (its like John/James Smith in the US)
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    not truly loaded, but Yoshimo will still end up being in my party because of when one runs into him...