Skip to content

Which Neutral Alignment Do You Prefer to Play?

MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
This is the third--and last--poll to see how significant alignment tendencies are for us in role playing our PCs (and NPCs). While "messier," tendencies provide both complexity and subtlety to the standard nine alignment matrix. On the other hand, they can also add unnecessary tedium to the game.

The Evil and Good alignment tendency polls may be found here:
Which Evil Alignment Do You Prefer to Play?
Which Good Alignment Do You Prefer to Play?

Instructions: From the list below, choose the Neutral alignment you most enjoy playing.
  1. Which Neutral Alignment Do You Prefer to Play?149 votes
    1. Lawful Neutral
        9.40%
    2. Lawful Neutral (LG tendencies)
        7.38%
    3. Lawful Neutral (LE tendencies)
        1.34%
    4. True Neutral
      12.75%
    5. True Neutral (NG tendencies)
      14.09%
    6. True Neutral (NE tendencies)
        0.00%
    7. Chaotic Neutral
      24.83%
    8. Chaotic Neutral (CG tendencies)
      22.82%
    9. Chaotic Neutral (CE tendencies)
        5.37%
    10. True Neutral (LG, CG, LE, or CE tendencies--indicate which one in the comments)
        2.01%
Post edited by Mortianna on

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    True Neutral (LE tendencies). True Neutral with an absolute alignment tendency seems contradictory, but it indicates that the character is a hypocrite. She believes in the general precepts of LE, but doesn't devote herself to practicing them. I think it makes for interesting RPing, if not a little confusing to others at first.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the only time I ever played a neutral alignment is true neutral strictly because of druid classes, but I would choose lawful neutral if I could because I believe that is what I am in real life
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    I like being abel to use the equalizer
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    I think there's so much flexibility when it comes to playing chaotic neutral characters. since you're chaotic and thus 'unpredictable', you can roleplay as a lawfully abiding person as well. it's also the alignment that I relate myself with
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Only reason I play neutral is if I play a druid, so yeah.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Prefer the CN because it opens the possibility to really play as you prefer all through the game
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    =p
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I am a violent, self-entitled hedonist.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Chaotic Neutral, just so I can troll my friends.
    You know what, the show Lexx is a perfect example of how I roleplay Chaotic Neutral.

I posted so soon after my last post, because I want you all to watch Lexx. Watch Lexx.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    If I play Neutral, it's to play a Druid, but I'm bad at playing at other alignments than my own natural morals, so my Druids also tend to be one caring for the common good and tend to NG, like most of my characters.
    edited September 2013
    @SCARY_WIZARD I'm getting the feeling that I should seek out Lexx and watch it. I love a good sci-fi dramedy.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I usually only pick this when I'm playing a druid, and I play a kindly druid who cares about humans as well as animals when I do.

When I play a wizard, sorcerer, or bard, I often pick chaotic neutral so I can get the cat familiar, but I never actually play the alignment. I bet a lot of people choose their familiar rather than their real alignment when they play an arcane caster.
    edited September 2013
    Mortianna said:

@SCARY_WIZARD I'm getting the feeling that I should seek out Lexx and watch it. I love a good sci-fi dramedy.

I need to, like, roleplay my next CHARNAME like one of the characters from there.
    decision decider told me Xev. It's settled!

EDIT: Chaotic. Neutral. Neophytes.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Cats.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Frosty said:

I like being abel to use the equalizer

Any alignment can use the Equalizer.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    Chaotic neutral is an insane anarchist neutral evil is manipulative and its the only evil i play as neutral evil always has a reason for doing good things and neutral good is more of a priest, as in helping everyone and spreading my gods dogma along the way. True neutral with NG tendencies is like the perfect alignment, you will help a person regardless, but if said person goes too far you stop them, you keep the peace in a peaceful way if possible
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    When it comes down to it. Everyone prefers predictability and routine to chaos. That evil villain with the master plan, easy, you know what game he's playing and the rules he's playing by. But the guy who no matter what, you just can't figure out, the wild card, He really scares everyone.
    meagloth said:

Cats.

My kitty isn't Chaotic Neutral, he's Chaotic Chubbledy, and his little sister is Neutral Pseudo-Feral. :3
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    True Neutral since that is what I am on those alignment tests.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Ive got prejudices against neutral (specifically TN and LN), it just feels so damn passive. And I hate apathy...
    I picked CN because I tried playing a crazy bard once, I failed x)
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i would have liked to see you state whether your question refers to PnP playing or playing BG, as I have different answers for each...
    BG i like Neutral (Good tendencies)...gotta keep those quests rolling
    PnP i enjoy playing CN
  • ForgottenMythForgottenMyth Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2013
    that alignment test is crap. at least the D&D one, i changed ONE answer and went from CG to CE.

I picked CN with CG tendencies because I often do almost completely random actions but am generally good in the actions that i take (short of stealing loot out of houses and other evil acts for meta gaming purposes).

AND THE KITTY!!!
    Post edited by ForgottenMyth on
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    I wish there was a TN with a tendency best suited to ending conflict option. Its fun to play a TN who despises conflict yet is constantly forced to kill in spite of their personal philosophy.
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2013
    Chaotic, because if you're going to do it, you might as well go all out.
    @Battlehamster I think Neutral Good (LG tendencies) beings would be the most "peaceful," as they would strive to create a world full of compassion, kindness, and serenity, but would be more subtle than LG beings in enforcing those values. Good is more important than regulation and order to them; although they're Lawful-tending, they'd prefer keep the rules simple instead of creating a rigid bureaucracy.
  • I tend to go for true neutral, not in the "I must maintain perfect balance!" sense, but in the "I don't lean in any particular direction and am not prone to philosophizing" sense. In other words, I'm not a warrior for balance, I just don't tip the scale enough in any particular direction.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Chaotic Neutral, for the friendly psychotic.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Chaotic neutral tends to give me bad vibes ever since the days of too much V:tM with an abundance of very poorly roleplayed Malkavian characters. I would probably go with TN leaning towards good.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2013
    True Neutral is interesting and Chaotic Netural is casual to play.

But I never play Lawful Netural. A sheep makes for a poor Bhaalspawn.