Skip to content

I just rolled a 99 on my 4th try!

I figured the only way to play such a potentially powerful character would be to adopt a no loads policy. Then my F/M got magic missiled to death by Tarnesh. I hate this game. sigh.

Comments

• This basically sounds like: "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee."
    Well, better luck next time ;)
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Then adjust your game towards a re-load policy! :)
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    The wizard at the Friendly Arm Inn... we have all been there...
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It's always the most painful when you get a wonderful roll like that and die on your no-reload. I had a C/R that had amazing rolls, all the books and stuff from BG1 and died in BG2 to a group of vampires thanks to a mod.
    There is always the very cheap tactic of attacking him with ranged weapons when he moves to talk to you.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    @Lateralus Nope, no export. I usually employ some form of kiting, etc. myself but got cocky this time due to the unusually high roll. Oh well. There's a lesson. Superhuman Bhaalspawn or not, low level charname vs. magic missile: magic missile wins.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    *clap* *clap* *clap* I never got 99. Not even once.

Advice: it's good to export newly createn character, if you feel very satisfated about your rolling results.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I take it you didn't start the game with Find Familiar memorized? It's hardly necessary, but I love having the option to start off with a ridiculous amount of HP thanks to that spell. Then I equip full fighter gear and enjoy having a beefy tank until I get to level 2 mage spells.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Did ou ever notice that Tarnesh is nerfed? 5th level mages get 3 missiles, and 4/2/1 spells to memorize. He always casts mirror image, horror, and then 3 mm spells (3 missiles each). So he has 1 less 1st and no 3rds to use.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It was always like that in non-modded BG.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    even if I didn't export I would ctrl 8 him back then export. You earned it!

also a good way to deal with tarnish seems to be sneaking Imoen into the inn for reinforcements from Khalid and jaheira :)
    Lateralus said:

Did ou ever notice that Tarnesh is nerfed? 5th level mages get 3 missiles, and 4/2/1 spells to memorize. He always casts mirror image, horror, and then 3 mm spells (3 missiles each). So he has 1 less 1st and no 3rds to use.

There are many mages in both BG1 and BG2 that don't have all the spells that they should. This is one of the things that SCS fixed and let me tell you, most people here should be happy that they are lacking in spells :P

also a good way to deal with tarnish seems to be sneaking Imoen into the inn for reinforcements from Khalid and jaheira :)

...you must gather your party before venturing forth...
    @ChildofBhaal599 Well it was an extremely lucky roll :) And I don't like unrealistically (whatever that means) high rolls normally, so it was a one time challenge. I don't really regret not exporting him.

Sneaking Imoen in seems like a great tactic btw! I'll try that next time I'm against a SCS boosted Tarnesh.
    @Lateralus Oh yeah. There's that.
    I would be mad if I failed to export a 99. I got 3 98s and i do differet runs with them all
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    Lateralus said:

I usuay lure tarnesh to the middle where he is surrounded by 3 gaurds. Then duck into the temple, poke my head out the other door to make sure he's dead. Then I saunter over to his corpse and place a boot upon his head

you must be the cowardest bhaalspawn that ever walked in Faerun lol :D:D
    Saradas said:

Lateralus said:

I usuay lure tarnesh to the middle where he is surrounded by 3 gaurds. Then duck into the temple, poke my head out the other door to make sure he's dead. Then I saunter over to his corpse and place a boot upon his head

I think a rogue with the most frustrating bhaal spawn ability would like to disagree.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Lateralus said:

More of just the general randomness of the games mages. For instance Davaeorn has an illegal number of spells (5/5/6/3/2) memorized for his level (11).

As for the 99 roll congrats! Best I've ever rolled was 97 ranger.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Lateralus said:

...you must gather your party before venturing forth...
    oh yeah that only worked on my current game because my main is a fighter/thief so they could both sneak :( sorry that was long ago but I remembered doing that. depending on your familiar though you could have had the one with the invisibility spell (forget which one because I don't play mage charnames usually)
    Saradas said:

Lateralus said:

The purpose of Tarnesh, is so that your first envounter with a mage is a memorable one. And it worked. Mages are not to be taken lightly at any point in the game, that's why I stock up on silence spells.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    I spam Imoen's Stealth until she succeeds, then she backstabs him, hopefully for more than 2 damage.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Lateralus said:

The purpose of Tarnesh, is so that your first envounter with a mage is a memorable one. And it worked. Mages are not to be taken lightly at any point in the game, that's why I stock up on silence spells.

The purpose of Black Bear is so that your first encounter with a bear is a memorable one. And it worked.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    What did you get on your fifth roll?

(admit it, everyone has done it)
    @deltago Sure I did :) It wasn't worth remembering though.
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    There is actually a cheat implemented into the character creation:
    Naming your character Chuck Norris will auto-create a monk with 200 in all stats, starting the game at level 1000.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Sounds like Diablo.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    @VikingR I tried this but it didn't work :( am I typing it in wrong? Do I need to flash my flux capacitor?