Skip to content

Characters imported from original BG1 (v1) have incorrect innate spells (works fine in BG2 engine)

switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
edited September 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Probably not entirely a bug as the engine was not advertised to support v1 characters, but it's something that should be easily fixable as it works as it should in BG2ToB engine, which BGEE and BG2EE are based on. I suspect that someone changed this by mistake, so that’s why it’s in bug section.

In original BG2ToB engine characters imported from BG1 (v1) are automatically converted into v2 format (used in both BG2 and BGEE). After importing such character you can choose new racial enemy, starting spells, weapon proficiencies, colors, sounds, and name. It works exactly the same in both BG2 and BGEE engine, with only 1 little difference:
- in BG2 all innate spells (abilities) added by class are also set again and the engine automatically adds correct ones using current class 2da files.
- in BGEE innate spells are not set up again for characters imported from BG1 (v1), so if there are any differences in class 2da files character will end up with different innate spells that normally should be deleted in import process, and set up again.

So for example using lvl 1 multi-class Cleric/Ranger as an example:
in original BG1 this class has 'spin108.spl' innate spell (Charm animal). In BG2 engine this class is using 'spcl311.spl' instead. It's also Charm animal, just with different spell ID. In BG2ToB engine 'spin108.spl' spell is automatically deleted when character is imported and 'spcl311.spl' is added. In BGEE it looks like this:
- if you do a fast import (choose from the menu) character will keep ranger lvl 1 'spin108.spl' spell and 'spcl311.spl' won't be added on level 1. From now on when you level up you will receive 'spcl311.spl' , so there will be 2 different Charm animals spells in innate spell selection.
- if you do full import all will work like in BG2 engine (everything is readjusted using new 2da files), but the original 'spin108.spl' won't be deleted as it should - lvl 1 character will end up with 2 different Charm animal spells from the very beginning.

So, in short: please consider changing the import functionality to be compatible with original BG1 characters, like the BG2 engine is. I suspect that there will be quite a lot of people that will want to import their original BG1 characters into BG2EE, when it will be released in November (myself included).

In case devs will be interested in fixing this I attached lvl1 Cleric/Ranger character created in original BG1TotSC engine (clean install, latest patch, created in multiplayer mode), that can be used for tests.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by swit on