Skip to content

Beer Thread

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    Wilbur said:

Just bought this. Talviolut as a winter beer. It's not even winter yet, but at least it's cold. Straight from the freezer :)

Edit. Seems I don't know how to get the image larger.

You can find how to post images here http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/161/how-to-format-your-posts/p1
    Wilbur
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Corvino said:

A friend one bought me this as a joke, but it was strangely nice: Amaretto and apple juice. It tastes like a chilled glass of delicious apple pie.

If you don't like the taste of alcohol but do sometimes go to pubs or bars @Kitteh_on_a_Cloud, it might be worth a try. That or a White Russian (tastes a bit like a chocolate & coffee milkshake).

Hmm, no thank you. I'd like to stay sober instead of waking up some day and discovering gross pictures of myself on Facebook, thanks.
    Teflon
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud: That an awfully puritan view on something that is certainly not as bad as you have decided it to be without ever having really tried it. It's not some evil poison that makes you lose all control after a sip. If you don't want any, fair enough. I still think you're missing out, though.:P
    Teflon
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    It's more of a social thing than 'get drunk and wake up in an alley the next day'. So long as it's done in moderation I don't see the harm in the occasional brew.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Lateralus - it's just a joke. Btw - around central Europe, German beers are "so-so".
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I thought it smelled like a joke, but it had a pungent aroma of belittlement mixed in there. ;)

so-so I say NIGH!!!

Corvino said:

A friend one bought me this as a joke, but it was strangely nice: Amaretto and apple juice. It tastes like a chilled glass of delicious apple pie.

If you don't like the taste of alcohol but do sometimes go to pubs or bars @Kitteh_on_a_Cloud, it might be worth a try. That or a White Russian (tastes a bit like a chocolate & coffee milkshake).

Hmm, no thank you. I'd like to stay sober instead of waking up some day and discovering gross pictures of myself on Facebook, thanks.

Alcohol effects every single person in a unique way, it takes a high WIS score to stay away from what is bad for you.
    Night_Watch
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Lateralus said:

I thought it smelled like a joke, but it had a pungent aroma of belittlement mixed in there. ;)

so-so I say NIGH!!!

Corvino said:

Alcohol effects every single person in a unique way, it takes a high WIS score to stay away from what is bad for you.
    And it doesn't hurt to be aware of your CON score either...
    Night_Watch
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud
    The only beer I can even remotely think of as tasting anything like vinegar would be lambic (what I like), which is often described as sour. That said, I won't discount the possibility that you have an odd combination of genes that affect your perception of the taste of beer. A good example in my case is that the natural sugar substitute stevia doesn't taste sweet to me. (On a more odd note, I think my perception of skunk spray is altered as well. I've not had a close enough encounter to be sure, but when going past a spot where a skunk has been hit by a vehicle recently, the smell doesn't really bother me.)
    As for the "Facebook" comment, it is entirely possible to drink in moderation. As I said before, I generally don't drink much. When I drink, I generally only have one (occasionally two) servings of something. I pledged to myself several years ago I would never get drunk, and to this day I've kept that promise.
    Guys, I was JOKING. And the vinegar thing also shouldn't be taken too literally. Sheesh. Seems you all love your alcoholic beverages to some holy degree or something. I simply said I don't like it, not that I need it. And no, I'm not missing out on anything. If the sole purpose for getting together with friends is to drink, then no, I don't need such people or such meetings. Y'all are acting like I'm some kind of alien or something. Just let me be happy with my glass of milk. I'll laugh at your pics on Facebook later on.
    *nor that I need it
    edited October 2013
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, by the holy Beer, I cast SMITE on thee! :D

...better yet. I cast SOBER on thee!
    @Southpaw: Oh, don't mind me. I guess I just don't see the appeal of alcohol. At least I keep my brain cells alive for just a little while longer, I guess. :p But please do enjoy your drink. I'm just as happy with milk, tea or apple juice. I guess I just don't understand how alcoholic beverages are so popular and part of whole 'social meeting culture'. I might be an alien, who knows? :p And don't worry, I've never been drunk in my life, an prefer to keep it that way. I wouldn't want to lose control of my bodies, thoughts and actions, only to wake up on a morning next to a stranger, not remembering anything, and be diagnosed pregnant a few weeks later. I know I'm dishing up stereotypes here, but on the other hand, such things DO happen. And I'd like to stay away from that. Am I a boring, misjudged person now? Maybe I am, yes. Just saying I don't like it. But I guess I'm pissing folks off right now, so might be best if I shut up, right.
    So many spelling errors. I guess I'm really not awake yet. >_<
    JLee said:

Lateralus said:

so-so I say NIGH!!!

Corvino said:

And it doesn't hurt to be aware of your CON score either...
    Takes about 5 Dirt Wolfs, so that's about an 11 CON. :)

So many spelling errors. I guess I'm really not awake yet. >_<</p>

Or drunk. :P
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Kitteh_on_a_cloud Wow, you feel so superior not drinking alcohol. Yet you've never even tried, lol.
    Let's play a game. It's usually called "Spot the vegan" and it's simple...they will start talking about how they don't eat meat.
    This time...let's play "Spot the non-alcoholic in a beer thread". I think I already got one.

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud - Look mate, no offence...I don't care if you are an abstinent, or an alcoholic, or you can contain yourself. It's your life and your body. But this is a beer thread, so it's pointless to express your beer antipathy.

I for one like me a good beer, but very rarely get "drunk".
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314

Folks, this thread is getting off topic, and it is getting personal. Let's remember the site rules..
    Teflon
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Red Stripe - what are people's opinions? It seems to be the only beer available when I go anywhere trendy. It tastes alright when it's cold and rubbish closer to room temperature, and leaves me with shocking hangovers. What's the deal?
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    ice cold PBR in a bottle
    Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Arrogant Bastard Ale
    JLeeCorvinoElectricMonk
    @FinneousPJ: Who said I never tried it? I think you missed the part where I said that I tasted like vinegar to me... Also, where did I state I felt superior to anyone else?
    @Southpaw: I'm not against alcohol. It's just not for me, nor do I associate myself with the whole social culture involving alcohol. I'm sorry for not going along the general opinion in this topic. But hey, people are different. Also, please don't compare me with militant veganists. I really don't want to be associated with such people. Thanks.
    *that it tasted like vinegar to me
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud - sorry mate, seems like I have overdone it. Bad Southpaw! You don't go around, comparing people to militant vegans.

This is a joke. If there's a vegan I have insulted, please don't hesitate and don't write me.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Now, as a British person alcohol & pubs have an interesting role in our culture.

There's a funny and insightful book called "Watching the English" by a sociologist called Kate Fox. There's a whole chapter dedicated to pubs and alcohol. The theory is that British people are normally quite reserved and are less outgoing in most situations, and social norms favour privacy and being left alone.

Pubs however act as "liminal zones" where you are expected to talk to people you've never met before. Alcohol again is associated with lowering of inhibitions and promoting sociability. So pubs and bars are essential to help insular British folks meet people and have fun!
    Wilbur
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Kitteh_on_a_cloud I invite you to read your own posts in this thread and reflect on them. I'm not saying you explicitly stated it, lol.
    Corvino said:

Red Stripe - what are people's opinions? It seems to be the only beer available when I go anywhere trendy. It tastes alright when it's cold and rubbish closer to room temperature, and leaves me with shocking hangovers. What's the deal?

As much as I approve of the Jamaican accent, I find Red Stripe to be pretty much beer and not that much hooray
    Wilbur said:

When I cast the spell Draw Upon Holy Alcohol I feel like my STR, WIS, INT and CHA attributes all raise considerably.

too bad you take a -5 penalty to all those stats the next day, require a full day's rest, and elixirs of coffee and dihydrogen monoxide in order to fully recover =p

throwing up works too =O
    Wilbur
    @Night_Watch - it's called "winded" in the BeerDrinker kit description. (Similar mechanic to Berserkers)
    You also lose some HP. The length of the "winded" status depends on your level.
    Night_Watch