Skip to content

Beer Thread

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
Every message board needs a beer thread.

Dirtwolf by Victory.

It's amazing. All of the best hops in existence, in a double IPA. Frosty glass recommended.
WilburCrevsDaak

Comments

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Big Sky Trout Slayer by Big Sky Brewing Company

I want to make a weapon (probably a spear) with this name and require the player (both real and PnP) to take a drink every time he/she attacks with it XD

I also enjoy the IPAs from Dogfish Head and 312 from Goose Island. Blue Moon is my usual drink though, it goes real well with a lemon slice as opposed to the orange slice that usually gets put with it.
    Wilbur
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Alexander Keith's IPA, brewed in Halifax, Canada.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

Big Sky Trout Slayer by Big Sky Brewing Company

I want to make a weapon (probably a spear) with this name and require the player (both real and PnP) to take a drink every time he/she attacks with it XD

I also enjoy the IPAs from Dogfish Head and 312 from Goose Island. Blue Moon is my usual drink though, it goes real well with a lemon slice as opposed to the orange slice that usually gets put with it.

There are pubs called Sharp Edge where I am from (Pittsburgh: GO PIRATES!!) that have dozens of Belguim beers on tap and they refuse to serve Blue Moon with fruit in it.

http://site.sharpedgebeer.com/

My tastes are ver similar to yours and I prefer an orange wedge in my Blue Moon.
    Night_Watch
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    @Lateralus I find that the orange wedge makes the beer too sweet for my taste. The lemon kind of balances it out for me.

That's odd that they don't put fruit in Blue Moons. Why is that? Is it a man beer issue? =p

I guess it's b/c I'm from Chicago and that's just how it is over here. I usually get a weird look from the bartender whenever I ask for a lemon instead of orange though. When I lived in California my girlfriend at the time introduced me to that. We're not together anymore, but that's how I drink my Blue Moons now.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    While in general I don't drink much, I enjoy Blue Moon as well, even the seasonal ones (except the pumpkin one). I also enjoy Coors, especially when I get it fresh at the brewery a short distance from me. (Since Coors is only made in one location in the world, I'm sure it gives you all a pretty good general indication of where I am.) My favorite style of beer by far though is lambic.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    My favorite is Karhu by Sinebrychoff. Karhy means bear in finnish. I think it's the most popular beer in Finland.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Beer is rubbish. Cider is the way to go.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/214447#Comment_214447
    Uh not intended to ruin your fun however there is already one, I mean thread about beer, and not closed yet.
    If you ask me, budweiser is what I like.
    elminsterTJ_Hooker
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    One of the best things about living in Yorkshire is the beer. I'm pretty sure the Campaign for Real Ale has more members around here that the Church of England.

Just about every town has its own brewery and makes a couple of its own beers. I arranged a couple of events in York Brewery many years ago for a University club in response to critics who thought we couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Good times.

Black Sheep is a very nice pint brewed not too far away in Masham. We get a lot of IPAs too, and a mate of mine is hooked on Boston Lager.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

While in general I don't drink much, I enjoy Blue Moon as well, even the seasonal ones (except the pumpkin one). I also enjoy Coors, especially when I get it fresh at the brewery a short distance from me. (Since Coors is only made in one location in the world, I'm sure it gives you all a pretty good general indication of where I am.) My favorite style of beer by far though is lambic.

Sorry to break it to you but tap wat- err, I mean Coors (Light? or Banquet?), is actually brewed in numerous places.
    elminsterTJ_Hookergreckoboy
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited October 2013
    This thread is awesome. What a lovely excuse to have a nice brew on a thursday evening.

I want to share a beer with you guys

Post edited by FinneousPJ on
    WilburTeflonCrevsDaak
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    @deltago
    I had to look online about what you said, and apparently you are right: Coors Light has been made in more than one location since their joint venture with Miller. However, as far as I've been able to find out, the original Coors is still only made here.
    As for it not being a very impressive beer (tap water as you put it), I can agree to a point. I've had it from a can and I've had it fresh at the brewery, and I can tell you that having it fresh at the brewery makes a HUGE difference.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    Grolsch...
    & fruit doesn't belong in beers
    Oooh, grolsch swingtops. Now that is a nice bottle.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    I'm a lover of ales, myself.:)
    Adnams Broadside is a good, strong ale. Also, Wells Banana Bread Beer is great!
    Corvino
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot. Bonus points for humor and accuracy :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Like the other thread its still Mill Streets IPA :)
    Teflon
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: my go to. It's nice because my wife also enjoys it.
    Red Hook ESB: one of the first craft beers I tried and I still like it.
    Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout: It's a meal!
    Black Butte Porter: A wintertime favorite
    Stone IPA: Hoppy, citrus goodness.

I'll definitely be looking into some of the beers shared here. Thanks for the recommendations!
    Corvino
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Never liked alcohol, nor do I need it. Tastes like vinegar to me, ugh. I stay just a tiny bit healthier without this way. :p
    God
    A friend one bought me this as a joke, but it was strangely nice: Amaretto and apple juice. It tastes like a chilled glass of delicious apple pie.

If you don't like the taste of alcohol but do sometimes go to pubs or bars @Kitteh_on_a_Cloud, it might be worth a try. That or a White Russian (tastes a bit like a chocolate & coffee milkshake).
    My friend makes shots that taste like chocolate covered pretzels.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Never liked alcohol, nor do I need it. Tastes like vinegar to me, ugh. I stay just a tiny bit healthier without this way. :p

Alcohol shouldn't taste sour (like Vinegar). Unless its a mixed drink (which isn't the same as beer).
    You can get a vinegar taste to low quality wine, or wine that's been left exposed to oxygen for too long. In fact, this is pretty much how red/white wine and cider vinegars are made.

With beer you're more likely to get a sulphurous taste if there's air in the line, indicating it's gone bad.
    elminster
    @Southpaw Everyone reckons their own brew is best. It just makes travelling around and tasting it even better. I had a very interesting trip to Munich a few years ago and drank a lot of very good beer. It was lager, though.

Guinness actually tastes a lot better in Ireland. Which is fortunate, because it tastes like crap in the UK.
    Southpaw
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited October 2013
    My favorites

Teflon
    Southpaw said:

There's a joke in Czech republic about this. (Czechs being famous for their beer culture and having a very good beer)

An American, a German guy and a Czech meet in a pub. The time to order comes.
    American: "I want a Budweiser...because that's brewed in the United States."
    German guy: "I'll have Hefeweizen. Good, german quality."
    and the Czech dude orders a Coke.
    Both his mates look at him, puzzled.
    "Why did you order a Coke?"
    "Well...if you aren't going to drink beer, I am not going to drink beer either"

I don't get it. German beer is Godlike and American brewers are progressing nicely. I'll gladly sample a Czech beer if you can point me in the right direction.

Dirt Wolf measures up to some of my own personal favorites and that's a US brew. Dogfish Head is the standard setter for me.
    The US beer revolution is pretty new, especially the microbreweries. I was told a joke a long time ago that isn't true anymore:

Q: Why is American Beer like making love in a canoe?

A: Because they're both f***ing close to water.

The above joke had a grain of truth to it in the 90's, when Budweiser and PBR were the main exported American brews. Now Sierra Nevada, Boston Lager, Blue Moon, Anchor and others are everywhere - and they're good. Really good. But old habits die hard, and old jokes even harder.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2013
    Just bought this. Talviolut as a winter beer. It's not even winter yet, but at least it's cold. Straight from the freezer :)

Edit. Seems I don't know how to get the image larger.
    Edit2. Got it thanks to @elminster

Post edited by Wilbur on
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Its out of season now...but Elysium pumpkin ale is freakin AWESOME.