Skip to content

Zhurlong's Boots - Need someone else to test! (Bug confirmed by someone else!)

VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
edited October 2013 in The Road to v1.2
Beta: I killed the hobgoblin, pick up the boots but Zhurlong doesn't see the boots it seem!
Non Beta: I loaded it with the 2014 non beta version and he sees the boots...

That IS weird and that's why I'm asking if anyone can confirm!
Thanks!
Post edited by Vortaka on

Comments

• JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2013
    I've got my character in Beregost at the moment and haven't taken up that quest yet, so I'll check it out for you.

Edit: He recognized that the boots were in my inventory. I don't know if it makes a difference, but, I had run across the hobgoblin that had his boots the first time I left Beregost and was carrying the boots already, so I only spoke to him twice in a row: once to get the quest in my journal, and again to complete the quest.
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    So, there might be a problem with my installation... (I might have screwed it up a little too mod"ch"...). Thanks for the quick answer!
    edited October 2013
    I have repaired the installation (so that no mods or tweaks would be present) and he still won't acknowledge that I have the boots...

I think it's a bug! Whack it! WHACK IT!!! :)

@Gate70 and @Jaesa: Thanks for the test
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...why would you want to give him his boots back? If I understand that correctly, it's those Silent Walkers...boots that boost your stealth by quite a lot.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited October 2013
    Southpaw said:

...why would you want to give him his boots back? If I understand that correctly, it's those Silent Walkers...boots that boost your stealth by quite a lot.

Give it back to him for the reward, then kill him to take it back.

And they're called Worn Whispers.
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    Not to mention there are 3 pairs in BG:EE.
    @Southpaw - Yeah, what Awong124 says! :)
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    edited October 2013
    I just did this quest in beta and he took them right off of Imoen. Pretty much as Jaesa explained above.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Awong124 said:

Southpaw said:

I think that's the right thing to do if you really really like the boots. I mean he won't miss them when his dead.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Are you sure you had his boots and not just a regular pair of Worn Whispers? His boots are unique to him and they are called Zhurlong's Boots of Stealth.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Wilbur said:

Awong124 said:

Southpaw said:

I think that's the right thing to do if you really really like the boots. I mean he won't miss them when his dead.
    And he's annoying, always stealing your money.
    Hum... Well, I cleaned the entire map and picked up everything special... Well, I'll test a new game when I have time...
  • JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    @Balquo Really? The pair I had only said "Worn Whispers" on them, and he took them as his. And those were the only pair of Boots of Stealth I had, so there was no mistaking it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There are two versions of "Worn Whispers". Zhurlong's version, when not identified, has a name of "Zhurlong's Boots of Stealth". When you identify them, the name displays as "Worn Whispers"--so if you've already identified them, there won't be anything to specifically note them as different.

@Vortaka
    Do you have debug mode enabled? If so, equip the boots on someone and, with that character selected, press Ctrl-M and then Enter. look in the message log and see what it says about your Boots item. If it's BOOTS02, then you've got the wrong pair.
    Huh... Well, thanks Dee! I didn't know that particular command! (Seems that I do not have the right one, as you suspected, I guess!). Thanks again!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited October 2013
    Yes, it's new in the beta. The live version will have him checking for Boots02; the beta will have him checking for boots02zh.
    Dee said:

Yes, it's new in the beta. The live version will have him checking for Boots02; the beta will have him checking for boots02zh.

Right... Well, a new game never killed anyone! I'm a little sad starting a new game without BGQE (more quests is good), but things like that happen sometime!
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Just started the game today and I have the same problem as Vortaka - hobgoblins dropped boots, which are not recongized by Zhurlong. Console say those are BOOTS02. If those are regular version, so where can i find quest boots?
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    On the Ulcaster map, not South of Beregost I think.
    Nope, he doesn't recognize those either. It seems those first are bugged.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    In patch v1.2, there are two hobgolins (code HOBGZHUR), south of Beregost (AR3800) and at Ulcaster (AR3900), that carry BOOT02ZH. These boots are called "Zhurlong's boots" if not identified, "Worn Whispers" if identified. Depending on your lore capability (45 required), you may never find "Zhurlong's boots" but "Worn Whispers" instead.
    Zhurlong's dialog indeed checks for BOOT02ZH.
    I just did the quest (got the boots from south of Beregost) and had no problem. I didn't identify the boots but I'm quite sure it's not important.

@Etamin, how do you get the console to show you the boots code? I had no idea it was possible.
    Add 'Debug Mode','1' under 'Program Options' in baldur.INI file, in C:\Users\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition. Then click ctrl+m ingame. If you did this quest after 1.2 without problem then it seems only my game is bugged. I have 2 pairs of normal "Worn Whispers".
    Thanks to your trick, I can confirm that I found BOOT02ZH indeed.

You said you started a game, so it's not a problem with already visited areas in your save game that would prevent the patch changes from applying (as would happen if you already just entered the areas where the hobgobelins are). Do you have any mod installed?
    Battle Enhancer and SCS.
    Etamin said:

Battle Enhancer

@Etamin Here's the culprit. The mod overrides most of the game creatures without patching. The HOBGZHUR.CRE file still contains a reference to BOOT02 instead of BOOT02ZH. You can open the file (even with notepad) and you'll see BOOT02 (and no BOOT02ZH) among the binary stuff.

It looks like the mod was started prior to the patch release. It might bring back other similar issues from the previous version of the game. There may not be many, since the mod readme mentions updating Rasaad due to the patch, but I would be cautious anyway.
  • zorkzork Member Posts: 4
    Hmm. Playing on 1.2 right now and the Hobgoblin with the boots isn't spawning at Ulcaster's. Is this intentional?

Also:
    Xanar said:

Not to mention there are 3 pairs in BG:EE.

Three? I know about the pair directly south of Ber, and the one at Ulcaster; where's the Third?