Skip to content

Lowering Neera's voice volume?

So playing BG: EE for the first ever time, and I've had Neera dumped on me, even though my NPCs consist of Imeon and two pairs of NPCs that I need for quest reasons...but who needs quests, right? I need to try out the new NPC!

So I picked up Neera and *every god-damn time* I click her portrait I hear her voice, really loudly. Like painfully loud. how do I decrease the volume?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    You can reduce all NPC's voice sounds through options -> sound -> voice volumes. Theres no way to reduce Neera's voice individually (well I'm sure there is a way but its not so straight forward).
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited October 2013
    I think we can all collectively agree that she just needs a voice actor who isn't exceedingly inexperienced. I wouldn't mind at all if she got a different and better voice actor for BG2EE.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    Just the volume...I can't be the only person on here to have noticed that her volume is about twice that of the other NPCs?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Flashburn I second that, along with Rasaad's voice acting. Dorn's is the only one I like of the three.
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    Haven't really experienced the volume as an annoyance.

The voice acting of Neera dd feel bad at the start (the recruitment phase) but I didn't find the red wizards all that either. Though Neera's didn't bother me so much later. Maybe the VA got better along the way (if they even recorded the lines in that order).

I don't like Rasaad either, his personality nor his Voice. But it's not necessarily 'bad'. I mean, sometimes the fact that you don't like an npc can mean they're acted out in a good way.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I didn't mind rassads voice acting, or neera. I hated neera's selection sounds and battle cries though.
    Eat flaming.... Or uh, possibly frosty, DEATH!
    Is funny the first time, old the second thine, and makes your party turn on her the third time.
    @Mortianna
    I'm inclined to agree with you. Rasaad's isn't so bad, but its really obvious that he's faking the middle-eastern accent. What I find strange is that Gamaz's accent isn't as "thick" as Rasaad's either, despite both of them growing up in Calimshan.

Now Dorn's voice work is superb. I already knew I would like him when I heard the previews last year. That, and he played Mephistopheles back in Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark which is one of my favorite games.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Neither Neera nor Rasaad's voice actors are inexperienced; in fact, Mark Meer, who plays Rasaad, is one of the more experienced voice actors you're likely to find. :)
    edited October 2013
    Oh yes, I don't doubt Mark Meer's talent at all. I've never played Mass Effect but landing the role of Shepard must mean he's a pretty big deal, given the amount of dialogue in the series. And Baeloth is just fantastic. It's just that I wish someone else played Rasaad so he sounded more authentic/believable.

As for Neera, perhaps "inexperienced" isn't the word I'm looking for, but she just sounds really out of place in BG's world. This quote sums up my feelings better than I could do it myself.
    Xriah said:

It's not the voice actress that's the main problem.

I think what people are noticing is that Neera sounds off. And she does. I think it largely has to do with the writing and the directing. She's written in that newer age Bioware style where characters will spew their inner thoughts out at you given the slightest provocation and never seem to want to stop talking. She's oversaturated with character quirks and given an energy that just doesn't fit well with the style that the original Baldur's Gate was written in.

This is highlighted by the voice acting. I don't know if it was the actress, the director, or both, but the actress plays Neera with a much more modern vibe. The older characters like Jaheira, Xzar, Imoen, have a much more theatrical style to them, a style that is abandoned with Neera.

As written and performed, Neera just doesn't FIT well into Baldur's Gate. She also gets way more dialogue and screentime than any of the original characters did, which only makes the fit worse. The actress performance is a little shaky at times, but I wouldn't call it outright bad. It only feels bad because of the environment the performance is in.

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Her voice is as a choir of angels, it is at the perfect volume.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Sometimes I find her voice charming and sometimes I find her voice annoying. I guess it just depends on my mood.