Skip to content

Fighter v. Mage gladiator fight

In a one-on-one battle, what level would a Mage have to be to defeat a fighter of equal level?

It sounds like a simple question, but I thought of a few ground rules to clarify:

-no kits or specializations, just true class

- magic items change everything because of all the possible combinations. Let's limit both characters to non-magic armor and weapons, and deny the Mage the use of 'protection' or 'mantle' spells which prevent damage from weapon types. Also, no bonus items that decrease casting times or give resistances.

-also, no scrolls, potions, or single use items. This limits the Mage to level-appropriate spell usage.

-no familiars to take hits, but other summoning spells are okay.

-no ranged weapons for the fighter. Sorry. I think ranged weapons would restrict the Mage to random chance in getting any spells cast at all. (not that save v. spell isn't random).

-the Mage gets one round before the fighter closes in melee to cast the first spell. It seems a little unfair, but most game encounters give you this much time anyway.

-both are human (gets rid of racial immunities to spells).

In these circumstances, what level would you have to be as a Mage to defeat a fighter (speaking generally)?

What combination of spells would it take to win?

I think it's an interesting question because mages take forever to become self-sufficient, and as fighters level up they become nearly impossible to kill in a 1 on 1 fight. it really comes down to strategy and good spell use. The only time you get anything resembling this in BG is in TOB when the drow challenges CHARNAME to single combat. Even then you're so buffed with items it's not a fair fight.

(Edit: in writing this I thought of a few cheesy spells that can basically end this fight early, but I'm posting it anyway. I want to hear what you think).

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013
    You just had to start another one...

When the mage hits level 7 he'll win the fight. Polymorph self and a couple of buffs in a sequencer and it's over.

1.) Minor sequencer with blur + mirror image
    2.) Throw stoneskin on yourself
    3.) Polymorph to sword spider
    4.) Start eating up the fighter

[Edited] : You can also open up with a slow on the fighter, to make it even more painful to watch.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    Those others inspired me, sorry
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    1 level. Cast sleep and kill the fighter!
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    edited October 2013
    Considering said mage was killed by a lv. 1 housecat before leaving the family estate, I don't think he could even make it into the arena.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    Does Dire Charm wear off after an attack like charm?
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    If both are level 1, if the mage can cast Charm as his first spell then the fighter is more than likely to fail his save. If the mage actually has to kill the fighter then a lot of it will be down to luck and difficult to calculate at early levels (distances between characters, bad saves, and bad thac0, especially if the fighter has no ranged weapons). A Sleep spell followed by attacking with darts might do the trick at level 1, If both are level 3 and the mage uses Web then uses a couple of Magic Missiles and darts to kill the fighter then that could also work.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    this is stupid no mantles and no pfmw?

i get it who would win
    mage with everything vs fighter stats 3/3/3/3/3/3 without items

• pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    Mirror image: Gain about 4-5 rounds of free casting. (In PnP, Mirror image gives the attacker a 1/(no of images+1) chance to hit the correct figure... Not so in BG.) Then, if the mage is prepared for this fight, s/he can finish off the fighter with several well-placed lvl 1 and lvl 2 spells. To have several lvl2 spells without specialization, I'd assume s/he'd have to be about lvl 5, with high INT...
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    CoryNewb said:

Trick question! Thief comes up and back stabs both!

I approve of this post

• lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    A mage would win an equal level fight most times. Easily.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    With no magical items, the mage wins every time, regardless of level.

Sleep is instant death for a lvl 4 or under fighter due to that ridiculous -3 penalty. Spook is useful vs very high level warriors because of it's growing save penalty and gives you several rounds to buff/debuff. Blind is crippling vs middle level warriors, you get to watch them flail around looking for you helpless. And that's just first level spells.

Once they're sleeping, blinded, or spooked, it's simply a matter of deciding how they die and how big of a douche you wanna be pulling it off.

Fighters suffer major diminishing returns as they level, especially after 10, since their effectiveness is based solely around their gear.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Well.. level 1. Sleep spell and it is done. Even if throws would be dramatically bad, the mage could memorize two sleep spells...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    XerxesV said:

Does Dire Charm wear off after an attack like charm?

No one seemed to have answered this but yes. If you attack someone who is dire charmed they will go hostile.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    IkMarc said:

Well.. level 1. Sleep spell and it is done. Even if throws would be dramatically bad, the mage could memorize two sleep spells...

If the first sleep spell fails then the mage is very likely dead. A level 1 mage has 6 hp and an AC of 5 at best (dex + robe). A level 1, dual dagger wielding specalised fighter has about a 50% chance to hit and 2.5 attacks/round. One hit will kill the mage - he's not likely to get off a second sleep spell.

So it's really all down to whether the fighter can make his first saving throw or not. But the odds don't favor the fighter.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    Only a mutliclass Gnome Fighter / Illusionist has any chance of saving.
    They start with 7 in spell ST.
    A mage will always win in a battle with a fighter.

I take it this topic is a time killer ?

At higher levels the difference between them increases greatly. Only with cheese ( 100 % MR ) does a fighter stand a chance at higher levels. Even then it's a slow death.
    edited October 2013
    Elven Berserker vs Mage [Level 1]

Elves are immune to sleep and berserk will grant him more damage, Thac0, 15 more health and immune to some other things aswell.

The mage could blind him, but it would be hard to bring down 28 health from a blinded berserker with a splint mail.
    Just wait for him to get winded...blind lasts 10x as long as enrage does.

And in addition to removing his visual sphere, it worsens thac0 and AC by 4, halving the armor's bonus completely. And depending on strength score, the mage will be equal or better thac0. And once they're winded, their AC is 2 lower, meaning they're effectively wearing leather.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    We need a blackpit style multiplayer pvp arena so we can test these theories...

Also... Minsc would like a bigger sword...

Sleep is the fireball spell of lvl 1.

Ban sleep. And fighter most likely wins.

They would both lose to a thief or a cleric.
    But if it would worsen your Thac0 by 4 you would still only have -2. So i'm sure you'll be able to hit him once with a two handed sword or staff to end it.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2013
    In this set up odds seem to favour the mage. As long as the mage can get a first spell, he wins if he plays smart.

At lvl 1 to 4 mage can win easily with sleep spell. Fighter can save but it is unlikely.

At mid levels mage should go invisible before the fighter reaches to melee him, then he buffs with shield+mirror image+blur+stoneskin etc. to reduce his chances of getting hit. Breaks invisibility with a horror. While the fighter runs off scared, summons some monsters, tries a hold person, and melf's arrow/magic missiles the fighter to death. That's how I would play in this gladiator scenario anyway.

Fighter can win, but it requires a lot of luck in these rules. If the fighter has a ranged weapon and can disrupt the mage's first spell, then mage is toast.

lunar said:

In this set up odds seem to favour the mage. As long as the mage can get a first spell, he wins if he plays smart.

At lvl 1 to 4 mage can win easily with sleep spell. Fighter can save but it is unlikely.

At mid levels mage should go invisible before the fighter reaches to melee him, then he buffs with shield+mirror image+blur+stoneskin etc. to reduce his chances of getting hit. Breaks invisibility with a horror. While the fighter runs off scared, summons some monsters, tries a hold person, and melf's arrow/magic missiles the fighter to death. That's how I would play in this gladiator scenario anyway.

Fighter can win, but it requires a lot of luck in these rules. If the fighter has a ranged weapon and can disrupt the mage's first spell, then mage is toast.

As i mentioned before, if the fighter is an elf then he's immune to sleep. If he is a berserker he'll also get +15 more health and +2 Thac0 so even with blind he only got -2 to hit. One swing with a staff or two handed sword and he wins. Even with blind on him he still got better Thac0 than the mage.
    SionIV said:

lunar said:

As i mentioned before, if the fighter is an elf then he's immune to sleep. If he is a berserker he'll also get +15 more health and +2 Thac0 so even with blind he only got -2 to hit. One swing with a staff or two handed sword and he wins. Even with blind on him he still got better Thac0 than the mage.
    Yeah you are right, but the OP said 'no kits, both human' so I made assumptions based on that. ^^

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited October 2013
    So if a level 1 mage makes a fighter go to sleep so what.

He's going to wake up as soon as he takes damage. At D10 hit points he has enough hit points to absorb whatever one attack a level 1 mage is going to do. A dagger? 1d4 big deal and a mage's thaco is terrible as well is he even going to hit? One magic missle at level 1? Woo scary. Get over your level 1 sleep spell FTW guys
    lunar said:

SionIV said:

lunar said:

Yeah you are right, but the OP said 'no kits, both human' so I made assumptions based on that. ^^

Well then ofcourse the mage will win. A mage won't suffer from not having a kit while a fighter could have been an elf or a berserker.
    SionIV said:

lunar said:

SionIV said:

lunar said:

Well then ofcourse the mage will win. A mage won't suffer from not having a kit while a fighter could have been an elf or a berserker.
    and why not allow the mage protections? It would seem they could use that as the point where they would win.

edited October 2013

So if a level 1 mage makes a fighter go to sleep so what.

He's going to wake up as soon as he takes damage. At D10 hit points he has enough hit points to absorb whatever one attack a level 1 mage is going to do. A dagger? 1d4 big deal and a mage's thaco is terrible as well is he even going to hit? One magic missle at level 1? Woo scary. Get over your level 1 sleep spell FTW guys

In bg, asleep targets don't wake up when hit. In pnp, asleep/held/helpless foes can be killed off easily if there are no other active enemies. The mage can slit the sleeping fighter's throat with a 1d4 dagger easily, no matter his hit points.

edited October 2013
    Only while enraged. And once it runs out, he's winded for 10 rounds. Which is twice as long as the mage needs to kill him. And since Blindness lasts 10 minutes...you can afford to play it safe, even if you get unlucky with hit rolls and can't finish him off before winded fades.

Elven Berserker, in splint (-1 vs pierce included below, -2 vs blunt), with 18/00 str, 19 dex, 17 con. With 2hd-sword (**).

Normal - -1 AC, 15 thac0, 13 hp.
    Normal (Blinded) 3 AC, 19 Thac0, 13 hp.
    Enrage = -3 AC, 13 thac0, 28 hp.
    Enrage (blinded) = 1 AC, 17 thac0, 28 HP.
    Winded = 1 AC, 17 thaco, 13 HP.
    Winded (blinded) = 5 AC, 21 thac0, 13 HP.

Human Mage, 18 str, dex, 16 con. With dagger and knave's robe (-1 vs slashing included below)
    Normal = 5 AC, 19 thac0, 6 HP.

A staff would be safer, since they could never click on you due to the range, and potentially deal more damage, but slightly less likely to hit.

Thus, the mage is more likely to hit, and has the added advantage of the enemy not able to know where the attack is going to come from, giving them time to move out of range after a strike.

A lvl 1 Berserker only has a 10% chance of saving vs Blind.
    lunar said:

In bg, asleep targets don't wake up when hit.

Really? I'm pretty sure I've "slept" some guys such as Tarnesh and when he gets hit he gets up and keeps walking at ya.

• pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    We know that up until 3rd or higher level spells are available, mages won't have insta-kill through massive damage spells. This means extended mutual "duking it out" would go the fighter's way. So, let's look at ways of shutting down the fighter...

List of first level spells: (Ctrl-C Ctrl-V from Mike's RPG Center)

Armor ,Blindness, Burning Hands ,Charm Person ,Chill Touch ,Chromatic Orb ,Color Spray ,Detect Evil, Friends, Grease, Identify , Infravision , Larloch's Minor Drain , Magic Missile, Protection From Evil , Shield , Shocking Grasp , Sleep

Character Lvl 1-2: Say you cast Sleep. OK, your next spell needs to be able to do 10-15 damage to reliably take out the fighter. That's not in the works up there, so you need a second shut-down. Which means you need at least 3 (5 preferred) spell slots. Hm... No guarantee. Maybe Color Spray would work better...

List of 2nd level spells:

Agannazar's Scorcher , Blur , Detect Invisibility, Ghoul Touch, Horror , Invisibility , Knock , Know Alignment , Luck, Melf's Acid Arrow , Mirror Image , Protection From Petrification , Resist Fear, Stinking Cloud , Strength , Vocalize, Web

Now we're talking. Although the damage the mage needs to deal is on the order of 30 now, the mage has many reliable means of shutting down the fighter for a much longer time.

Let's assume a 5/3 slot number for the mage. Specializations being banned, this mage would probably need to be 4th level. This puts the fighter at around 35 HP, right? Mage's power is in preparation, so let's have him/her prepared for a solo brute fight.

1: Blindness, sleep, damage, damage, damage
    2: Mirror Image, damage, damage or Horror, Mirror Image, damage or ...

This fight looks like it would go the mage's way. If not, the mage has at least enough shutdown power to make his/her escape.

Round 1: mirror Image, gives several rounds of free casting.
    Round 2: Sleep/Horror (If there's a good chance in both cases that the target will fail his/her save, then go for horror first. If it goes off, no need for sleep.)
    round 3: Horror/sleep, or if the target failed save vs fear before, then open up with your damage.

Still, a few unlucky rolls and the wizard's out of spells, looking at a very hurt yet very angry fighter.