Skip to content

The latest interview with Trent Oster on BG:EE and BG2:EE

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
It's A MUST READ!

"...we shipped a game we were not 100% happy with. Even with that headwind, the sales were quite strong out of the gate and have stayed quite robust. The reception was very positive, with a few holdouts who stated a clear preference for spending many hours installing specific mods to the original title make their personal best version of Baldur's Gate. With the upcoming patch, I'm certain even those stalwarts will re-evaluate their choice and agree that weve gone far beyond what the original title can offer from a graphics and feel standpoint. We've built the best possible version of Baldur's Gate.

"On PC and Mac, we've added a ton of features, fixed a huge number of performance related issues, and squashed thousands of general bugs. We've added a game matching system to make it much easier for people to play multiplayer games together. The difference between the old Mac version and our new release is like night and day."

"I'm excited to bring BG:EE to Linux, and possibly in the future, have a look at bringing it to the phones . I played a development build on my iPhone and managed to get to the bottom of the Nashkel mines. The buttons were much too small to make a releasable game, but it was a neat feeling to play Baldur's Gate on a phone."

"We've taken a great game, added a ton of new, interesting content, bundled in the Throne of Bhaal expansion and added a ton of new features, including a new full screen display mode, which lets you see all the glory of the re-mastered area artwork we've managed to put together.

"The user interface has been cleaned up and vastly improved, we have multiplayer matching that actually works, and you'll be able to play with friends on iPad or Android while you're on your PC or Mac, and vice-versa. And when you get the game, you can start playing it immediately because there's no need to mess around with fix-packs or other mods before it's "ready" to play."

"We know the fans would love a Baldur's Gate III, and we'd love to bring it to them when the time is right."

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/dnd/bg2ee/bg2eeint.html

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/112422-baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-interview.html

How I wish the 15th of November would just happen already.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    This interview must once and for all put to bed all the negative remarks towards the enhancement of this edition.

BG:EE 1.2 version and BG2:EE will be the best ever Baldur’s Gate games simply said. We’ll get Android versions as well and the experience will be mind-blowing.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT WORKS GUYS! YOU’RE AMAZING!
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I think you might be correct, but let's wait to see it released before making any assumptions. And you have to remember that just based on the new NPC's some people will still think the original is better.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited October 2013
    I love baldur's gate which is legendary game product and appreciate beamdog remaster it , but I can't say beamdog current work is legendary, they still do more and more things to prove their capability,
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    edited October 2013
    Until some specific mods are compatible with EE (IR, SR, BG1 NPC Project, Refinements - here I am worried if it ever be compatible, Quest Pack, Unfinished Business, BG1 Unfinished Business, aTweak) I will prefer BGT.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    bengoshi said:

This interview must once and for all put to bed all the negative remarks towards the enhancement of this edition.

BG:EE 1.2 version and BG2:EE will be the best ever Baldur’s Gate games simply said. We’ll get Android versions as well and the experience will be mind-blowing.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT WORKS GUYS! YOU’RE AMAZING!

Not really. If everything in those statements ends up being true/accurate, then yes. Even then, some people will probably have gripes. Anyway, I'm hoping the patch comes soon...
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    edited October 2013
    While I have high hopes for the BG2:EE, I do wish Trent's answers were a little more specific. He mentions a Full Screen option (which to my knowledge has always been in) but glosses over the fact that they're using the new area renderer which (from what we've been told) drasticly pimps the graphics.
    The BG:EE patch to come unlocks several new things for modders to change (like allowing demi human dualclassing and human multiclassing among others) but he doesn't mention 'greatly expanded opportunities opened for modders, namely: [insert 2-3 example features]'. He's mentioned 'thousands of bugs' and 'countless new features' but doesn't specificly name any of them, nor does he name even a general number of new quests or content, other than the old-new NPC's (which everyone who's played BG:EE knew were coming). Even the new-new NPC doesn't get much attention, other than harshly cutting off the Baeloth question.
    He talks about there being a new multiplayer mode but we heard the same thing a year ago and it's not released yet. I'm sure it'll be in the game when it's released (last I heard, the BG:EE patch puts it in BG:EE so implementing it in BG2:EE should not be a problem) but he doesn't say "-and this will be ready on release day" which is the thing everyone wants to hear.

For people who've never heard of the EE's, this is an interesting interview, but everyone who's interested has probably heard about BG:EE in the last year.
    It's not the newcomers he needs to convince this time, it's the sceptics and naysayers who still believe that BG:EE has not changed since release and BG2:EE is a hackjob that doesn't add anything. While he did say that they made mistakes and have taken steps to ensure that doesn't happen again, he's given no information about what will be different this time nor any specific reason why this game is any different from the release of BG:EE last year.

Again, I'm convinced the game will be awesome. I read the patch updates, I've seen screenshots, I've heard the developers and assorted teammembers describe what will be in the game.
    But anyone who's not been on these forums and was not taken in by BG:EE immediately will only remember a difficult launch, lots of bugs and reviews saying "nice but not as good as the modded version". Those are the people that need convincing but I haven't seen any to-the-outside-world contact that does so. I really hope this changes in the coming weeks because I wish BG2:EE to be a smashing success for all those involved, they deserve it.
    My brother loves BG and the reason he won't play BGEE (he has bought it and completed it once) is because the NPC's just don't do it for him. This is enough reason for him not to play BGEE and he is back to playing BGtutu (Trying to convince him to go BGT instead).

Now with BG2:EE introducing a new NPC that's called Hexxat (Of all things) not to mention the NPC's from BGEE will have quite some content in BG2:EE he is probably going to end up dropping that aswell.

Personally i can understand him about the NPCs and i find that they didn't fit into BG:EE at all. Next to the old NPC's they just seem like... an apple in a basket of oranges.

Not to mention the deal with their kits. A wild mage, blackguard and a monk. Talk about the most exotic kits to place on NPC's that you want to mix in with the original cast which are very ordinary.

Anyway i'm going to get BG2:EE and i hope it'll suprise me.
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75
    bengoshi said:

No interview is going to do that. A finished product will do so, nothing less. So let's see what they produce and when. Their track record isn't very good.
    With the upcoming patch, I'm certain even those stalwarts will re-evaluate their choice and agree that weve gone far beyond what the original title can offer from a graphics and feel standpoint. We've built the best possible version of Baldur's Gate.
    He forgot to mention that a number of the more used mods like SCS are becoming available. That helps, a lot.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    bengoshi said:

Yeah, no. The negative remarks towards the EE are the results of things that actually happened (and, in some cases, are still happening). This interview doesn't solve any of those things. If the 1.2 patch resolves long-standing issues (without, of course, creating a whole bunch of new ones), and if BG2:EE doesn't launch in the same state as its predecessor, then the games can be reassessed. We're not there yet.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    He speaks about what is being currently done. He sees all the picture. He knows the consequences of giving something untrue. That's why I'm sure all he says will be how he describes it.

I can see screenshots and logs of this beta-patch. I like what I see. And I can make my own conclusion this looks like all long-standing issues are being repaired and the 1.2 version as well as BG2:EE will be good. I see nothing - NOTHING - in this beta that shows the mistakes are being made again. So, this interview should at last give all the sceptics and naysayers an image of what they'll get in a little-bit-more-than-month period. And again, there's no signal right now this image is false.

And if someone don't like new NPCs, let him just not use them. The enhancement of this game is MUCH more than 4 new NPCs.

I CAN'T imagine someone speaks the truth when he says BG2 (and BGT) feels the same as BG:EE in it's beta version. Come on...
    It's kind of hard to ignore the NPC's when they are there, and have a big role in the game.

And BGT -> BG:EE so far and this might change with 1.2, which i hope it does.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    shawne said:

Or that you haven't seen the steadily-growing bug reports in the 1.2 forum?

You realise that's what betas are for, right? :)
    (And thus that means Trent said the truth about lessons learned...)

Also, re: "steadily-growing"... it's also steadily-shrinking:
    Dee said:
  • DannyBarkleyDannyBarkley Member Posts: 50
    "The user interface has been cleaned up and vastly improved, we have multiplayer matching that actually works, and you'll be able to play with friends on iPad or Android while you're on your PC or Mac, and vice-versa."

I heard something along these lines a year ago. -_-
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i think i don't completely appreciate bgee's companions, but i support them for bg2ee. the thing is that bg1 has so many companions compared to the second, so it is hard for me to go fitting them in with the party i want. i have never even tried dorn yet. bg2 i think i will be able to fit neera and rasaad into a single game. can't wait for the patch still though (:
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    It seems really, really odd to me that the sequel will be released just a month after patching BG:EE.

Some people say that this latest patch isn't necessary to play the game, and that's mostly true. The patch seems to be dealing with mostly graphical, ease-of-use, and UI improvements. However, if we accept that these same improvements will be stock in BG2:EE, since both games are similar in coding and design, we should ask ourselves why we haven't had these improvements from the beginning.

Why did the team wait until after shipping to improve upon it? It genuinely feels to me as though they want to keep the fans happy (or pacify the ones who didn't like it) for when BG2:EE arrives. Customers who were happy with BG:EE are more likely to buy the sequel, after all.

Some of the enhancements (at launch) were available in the form of various mods. Some weren't. But to wait until now for some of the biggest content (in my opinion at 0.4 gig) seems to me to be a way of saying "We know there wasn't much that was 'enhanced' about it to begin with, so here's a bunch of updates we put together to make you all happy."

As Trent put it: "Our initial sales expectations for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition were on target. And that was after we made some large errors early on, with an overly optimistic launch plan and then a hard push to meet a contractual ship date."

Does he really not see that just one month after a much-needed patch to the original is an extremely optimistic launch plan?

Or perhaps the original plan was to utilize a "minimalist" approach, and use revenue from the sales to hire more people who could improve upon it at a later date.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Its not odd at all when you consider the patches were delayed for months because of problems with Atari. It doesn't mean work wasn't being done, just that they couldn't let us in on the process due to circumstances beyond their control.
    edited October 2013
    Ascerion said:

Why did the team wait until after shipping to improve upon it?

Probably their Wand of Programming had no charges left :)

Seriously, though, games don't code themselves.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    I'm kind of sad about BG2EE. They just said it will be "more new content" but I don't think we'll see anything outside of new NPCs+ their quests, new UI, and better graphics.

I really really really want new kit designs / revamp / HLAs for other kits...
    ghostowl said:

I'm kind of sad about BG2EE. They just said it will be "more new content" but I don't think we'll see anything outside of new NPCs+ their quests, new UI, and better graphics.

It's kind of hard when they can only do so much, and aren't allowed to touch the original content.
  • DrakeEBDrakeEB Member Posts: 20
    It's all about the mods to me...If they are compatible and updated i'll be in heaven. If not i'll stick with BWP mega mod setup. Although having SCS already doable for EE that helps alot.

I bought BG1 the week it came out in 1998 i believe it was? There is only so much non-modded BG/BG2 i can play even with the EE's...

edited October 2013
    alnair said:

You realise that's what betas are for, right? :)
    (And thus that means Trent said the truth about lessons learned...)

Also, re: "steadily-growing"... it's also steadily-shrinking:

Which is why, as I said, it's a bit premature to reassess critical opinions of the game at this time. As long as the beta's in progress, Beamdog has nothing substantial to show for its work. When the patch is out, we can reevaluate.

Its not odd at all when you consider the patches were delayed for months because of problems with Atari. It doesn't mean work wasn't being done, just that they couldn't let us in on the process due to circumstances beyond their control.

Let's not mix up our timeline, though: the Atari problems only began in July. Trent Oster was still tweeting in April about the renderer coming out in early May.
    edited October 2013
    SionIV said:

It's kind of hard when they can only do so much, and aren't allowed to touch the original content.

I imagine that's a large part of why some people may still prefer BGT or TuTu...
    shawne said:

As long as the beta's in progress, Beamdog has nothing substantial to show for its work.

Well, it depends on the point of view, really :)

SionIV said:

I think you might be correct, but let's wait to see it released before making any assumptions. And you have to remember that just based on the new NPC's some people will still think the original is better.

I can't say I really understand this. Everybody has companions they don't like. The answer is to recruit the ones you do like.

Further, it's not as if the new NPCs aren't a hundred times better than the rampant Mary Sues of overrepresented classes that comprise 90% of the NPC mods out there.
    The NPC's stand out. You can easily notice that it's not the same people who made the original cast of NPC's and the new ones introduced by BGEE.
    edited October 2013
    @SionIV: I don't know if that's necessarily true - Baeloth's comments reminded me a lot of Xzar, while Neera's cheerful attitude is highly reminiscent of Imoen (there's a line she has when you confront the dwarf she robbed that could've come out of Imoen's mouth just as easily). Really, the one who stands out most is Dorn, on account of him representing a form of evil never seen in the game; even Shar-Teel or Korgan don't go as far as he does.

And yet I can honestly say Dorn is one of my favorite characters in the BG saga. Go figure.

@Schneidend: Actually, I imagine that position will soften somewhat once the majority of NPC mods are adapted to the EEs - then you'll have a three-way comparison between the original characters, the EE gang, and any mod from Mur'Neth to Amber to the dreaded Saerilith...
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    SionIV said:

ghostowl said:

Then why get a crappy contract like that in the first place? They should've known better. It almost makes me not want to buy their game to support them if they think they can re-sell a classic but doing everything fan-made mods have already done, while adding quality NPCs + quests. That's like a DLC to me, not worth the price of a game.